Bollywood?

Elphaba

Okay, this isn't about LDS movies, but I thought it would be the most appropriate place for it. Are any of you out there Bollywood fans? I have recently discoverd it, and to my surprise, I am hooked. I say "surprise" because I have never been interested in Indian culture whatsoever, and so to find myself enjoying these is really a change.

One of the things I find fascinating is that while Bollywood movies are always in Hindi, every ten or sentences, they will suddenly start talking in English--but only a few words. Then they revert back to Hindi. At first it really confused me, because I kept expecting there to be a reason for the shift, but there never was on. I finally looked it up on Wiki, and that's just a common thing they do.

Another thing, and I think this is true for all Indian movies (not just Bollywood), is that they never kiss, so they will do other interesting things in its place, sometimes things that are more risque than actual kissing.

There's a certain naivete' in the movies, a sort of innocence, that I actually find a bit refreshing. I'm not one to be put off at all by sexuality in movies, but it's interesting how I got used to knowing I wasn't going to be surprised by anything like that. I sort of feel like I'm watching a Disney movie.

I also love how they combine modern dress with traditional. Like I said, I've never been attracted to Indian culture before, and that included the women's dress. But after having watched the movies numerous times, I find their dress to be stunning. The colors are so vibrant, and the style is very flattering to the (thin) female form.

Some of the movies I've watched:

Kuch Naa Kaho

Bride and Prejudice (a very fun Indian take on Pride and Prejudice, all in English)

Devdas

Sholay

Anyone else?

Elph

My DH was on a Bollywood kick for a while, and I watched a few with him that I enjoyed.

One, which I can't remember the name of now, was about a London-born Indian girl, engaged to a white boy, taken to India by her parents because they felt she didn't know enough about her heritage, and there she meets an Indian boy who pursues her for the rest of the movie. He comes off as rather creepy at first (by Western standards, but the more Bollywood I watch I realize that he was meant to be a "love at first sight" romance, not a "wow, here's a hot chick I must have her!" romance :lol: ), but he endears himself to you as the movie goes on. I actually found it a rather interesting take on Eastern culture meets Western culture through the eyes of a girl who is stuck between the two.

ETA: Namastay London!

I recently watched "My Name is Khan". I thought it was really good. I came to work and told my Indian coworkers about it and they just rolled their eyes. Apparently the lead actor does a million of these and has a really annoying articulation. But I still like it.

And if you want campy action movies, you have to find Rajnikanth. He's the Indian Chuck Norris (the world will end in 2012 when Rajnikanth get sick of humanity). My boss told me that his movies are really cheesy ("I better not say that because he might come over and beat me up").

Sample Rajnikanth:

The ladies love him

Horses will do anything for him

My cousin has been watching Bollywood movies for years -- his fam loves them so much, they went to India last year for a tour. They took the backroads and kept a journal w/ photos -- pretty cool stuff.

They also mentioned how they enjoyed "My Name is Khan".

HiJolly

Okay, this isn't about LDS movies, but I thought it would be the most appropriate place for it. Are any of you out there Bollywood fans? I have recently discoverd it, and to my surprise, I am hooked. I say "surprise" because I have never been interested in Indian culture whatsoever, and so to find myself enjoying these is really a change.

One of the things I find fascinating is that while Bollywood movies are always in Hindi, every ten or sentences, they will suddenly start talking in English--but only a few words. Then they revert back to Hindi. At first it really confused me, because I kept expecting there to be a reason for the shift, but there never was on. I finally looked it up on Wiki, and that's just a common thing they do.

Another thing, and I think this is true for all Indian movies (not just Bollywood), is that they never kiss, so they will do other interesting things in its place, sometimes things that are more risque than actual kissing.

There's a certain naivete' in the movies, a sort of innocence, that I actually find a bit refreshing. I'm not one to be put off at all by sexuality in movies, but it's interesting how I got used to knowing I wasn't going to be surprised by anything like that. I sort of feel like I'm watching a Disney movie.

I also love how they combine modern dress with traditional. Like I said, I've never been attracted to Indian culture before, and that included the women's dress. But after having watched the movies numerous times, I find their dress to be stunning. The colors are so vibrant, and the style is very flattering to the (thin) female form.

Some of the movies I've watched:

Kuch Naa Kaho

Bride and Prejudice (a very fun Indian take on Pride and Prejudice, all in English)

Devdas

Sholay

Anyone else?

Elph

I'm a BIG fan of Bollywood...except it is not the same Bollywood that you happen to be talking about....our Bollywood happens to be the cutest, sweetest, little Chihauhau mix that you have ever seen. He is named Bollywood because one of my daughters happened to find him on a Bollywood set (The Americanizing of Shelly) that she was prop mastering for when they were filming a night time scene in Los Angeles. He's been in our family ever since & wears his name proudly!

Guest mormonmusic
Hidden

Not Bollywood, but I liked seeing the Indian culture in "Bend it Like Beckham" I watched it with a Seik friend of mine and he said it accurately described Indian culture in many spots.

• 1 month later...

I watched an Indian version of the original Star Trek tv show and enjoyed the heck out of it. They actually made a better Bill Shatner than Bill Shatner.

Hey where did you get the hindi version. I am also looking for it from a long long time. Please send me the link if you have??

• 6 months later...

I love Bollywood! My gateway movie was Bride and Prejudice. I love all the things you mentioned, and the beautiful clothes. Why don't we wear colors like that?! I told my husband I need some saris. Maybe a blond Idaho chick would look funny in one, though.

I like pretty much anything with Shahruhk Kahn. "My Name is Kahn" was a great one. My very most favorite, I think, was Swades. It's beautiful in every way.

The one I watched most recently was really fun. It was called Singh is Kingh. I'm pretty much limited to what is on Netflix instant streaming, and I've seen most of the Hindi movies there, I think. I don't speak Hindi so I couldn't tell you the name of most. :P

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I watched My Name is Kahn, and really enjoyed it, though I found the flood story a bit much. It was fascinating to see how America is perceived in the movie.

Eowyn, Bride and Prejudice was my gateway movie too! I love it and have probably watched it 1,250,362.555 times. I was fascinated to discover Aishwarya Rai (Lalita) is a huge international film star, because, like most Americans, I had never heard of her.

I also love Sharukh Kahn, and really enjoyed Swades, so much so that I've watched it probably five or six times. Every time I see the elderly woman say "electricity," I just lose it.

Have you seen Veer-Zaara? Sharukh is also in that and I loved it as well. I can see how what modor said is true, though, that he makes so many movies Indians roll their eyes at him. I even found a Youtube of him as the host on India's version of Who Wants to Be a Millionare.

One of my favorite things about Bollywood is how, out of the blue, they burst into song. Though some of the films are musicals, not all of them are, and even the most dramatic films have at least one song in them. For example,

is a song from the movie Guru, which is not a musical. (I specifically chose this video so you could see the beautiful clothing, as well as how graceful and delicate the dancing is. I've tried to move my hands like Aishwarya does here, as I think it is stunning, but I am a very clumsy American and can't manage it. :P)

I also love how Bollywood reveres the elderly. For example, I think Jenamarie is referring to the movie Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge which paired My Name is Kahn's Sharuhk Kahn and Kajol in 1995. Jenamarie explained the plot really well, including Kahn's character's swagger and arrogance. But he suddenly becomes very serious and respectful talking to Kajol's mother, reassuring her that he would never marry her daughter without her (the mother's) blessing. That's just not something you see in many American films, yet I've seen the theme repeated over and over in the Bollywood films. It's really lovely.

Elph

Edited by Elphaba

Thank you! I so wish I had a friend nearby with your love and knowledge of Bollywood. You don't live near Boise, do you? :D I love Veer Zaara, and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (which is referred to as DDLJ in another movie which I can't think of, but which was really fun, and the male lead's friends were telling him that he had to be the female lead's "Raj" if he wanted to get her, and that everyone has to know that movie if they want to get a girl. I think the name was Raj, anyway.) Even if Kahn has too much exposure there, I still like him. :) I need to buy Bride and Prejudice. Maybe that's what I'll ask for for Christmas. I'll look Guru up. I haven't seen that one, I don't think.

I love their reverence for the elderly, too. Most of the movies have generally strong family values (though it seems like more current ones are following Hollywood's example of premarital sex and such, which is sad).

I think I'm going to have to find a good one to watch today. :) My family will be thrilled. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see al the love of bollywood form LDS! I want to make an Bollywood film someday maybe I can include the church somehow! :)

Some films I would recommend is DDLJ, KKHH, KKKG, KHNH, KANK, My Name Is Khan of course as they are all Karan Johar influenced films.

Parineeta, Salaam E Ishq, We Are Family, Fanaa, No One Killed Jessica, Band Baaja Baaraat, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Black, Don, Rockstar, I am Singh, Guru, Guzaresh, Udaan, Paa, Patiala House, Dabangg, Ra One, Golmaal, 3 Idoits...the list really could go on and on!

I just watched Om Shanti Om last week, and realized something. Nearly every Bollywood movie I watch has me cringing at the cheesiness at the beginning, but redeems itself by the end. I was fixated through the entire last hour (and I LOVE the music! It's actually why I got it from Netflix to watch, because I've had a bunch of the songs on my iPod forever. I was grateful for the subtitles so I could figure out what some of my favorite songs were about. LOL )

I just watched Om Shanti Om last week, and realized something. Nearly every Bollywood movie I watch has me cringing at the cheesiness at the beginning, but redeems itself by the end. I was fixated through the entire last hour (and I LOVE the music! It's actually why I got it from Netflix to watch, because I've had a bunch of the songs on my iPod forever. I was grateful for the subtitles so I could figure out what some of my favorite songs were about. LOL )

Om Shanti Om would get anyone cringing to begin with...its a good entertainer but so cheesy