7 replies to this topic

#1 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6223 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yesterday when sick I read this. Apparently true story, clearly an LDS writer, tale of his near death/beyond-the-veil experience. Yet it wasn't published by any LDS publisher I recognized. What are the church's thoughts on books like this?

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#2 JThimm88

JThimm88

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

I'm surprised nobody's commented on this yet. I think the book looks interesting to say the least. I'd like to find a copy for myself and take a look at it. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for ya, Backroads; just wanted to say that I'll be reading it myself eventually ... perhaps. :)

#3 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2480 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake Valley

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Yesterday when sick I read this. Apparently true story, clearly an LDS writer, tale of his near death/beyond-the-veil experience. Yet it wasn't published by any LDS publisher I recognized. What are the church's thoughts on books like this?

Lance is my double-cousin. Good guy, humble man in humble circumstances.

I read the book some time ago; I remember that I liked it very much. As to the Church's take on it; I haven't heard of anything from the Church authorities proper. He's still a member in very good standing (last I heard, and knowing him a bit, that fits).

HiJolly
"All it takes is for us to get a little bit self-important and narrow-minded. Toss in a little fussiness, a bit of dogma, and a bunch of pride and you've got yourself a bunch of people who wouldn't recognize the truth if it sat on them."
-- Robert Kirby

#4 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6223 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

I did quite like it and found it fascinating. I guess I like to pick at the whys.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#5 livy111us

livy111us

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

Lance is my double-cousin. Good guy, humble man in humble circumstances.
He's still a member in very good standing (last I heard, and knowing him a bit, that fits).

HiJolly

Didn't he die a few years ago (and not come back)?

#6 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2480 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Didn't he die a few years ago (and not come back)?

Didn't get the memo--- I'll have to check with his sister, Eva.

HiJolly
"All it takes is for us to get a little bit self-important and narrow-minded. Toss in a little fussiness, a bit of dogma, and a bunch of pride and you've got yourself a bunch of people who wouldn't recognize the truth if it sat on them."
-- Robert Kirby

#7 Jujubeemom3

Jujubeemom3

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

Here is the obituary...

In Memory of Lance Melvin Richardson

#8 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2480 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Here is the obituary...

In Memory of Lance Melvin Richardson

Thanks for posting that, Jujubeemom3. I had assumed it was my aunt's brother, but I see that while he was her relative, he was not her brother. I bought his book at a family reunion, which I guess led to my misunderstanding.
-- Robert Kirby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq