Prisonchaplain Predicts Jesus' Return!!!

It's time for the posting of one of my thrice-annual public teachings. I seldom have my teachings recorded because of the restrictions of where I serve. So, it's fun to get to post here when I have opportunity to share outside the jail. As the title suggests, this one is about preparing for Christ's return.

Assemblies of God Online Sermons and Podcasts | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church | Angle Lake Neighborhood Church

And here are the notes. Enjoy!

ARE YOU PREPARED

FOR JESUS RETURN?

Introduction: Jesus did not return on May 21, 2011.

• I felt pretty secure about this a week ago, Saturday evening.
  • Then, Sunday morning, May 22nd, I arrived at church a little before 9AM.

• I didn’t see Pastor John anywhere.
    • I still wasn’t worried, though there was that little niggling in the back of my mind.
    • BUT, THEN I noticed that Brother Glynn was nowhere to be found!!!
    • Just for a second, well…you know.
  • By the way, for those who have not heard, Mr. Camping now says Jesus did return—invisibly.
  • Sadly, it is very common for false prophets—oops—did I use a judgmental phrase?
  • Indeed, it is very common for FALSE PROPHETS to claim, after their predictions fail, that the event really happened, only invisibly or in a spiritual way.

Proposition: Jesus is returning, even though many now believe that after 2000 years, he probably never will.

Interrogative: How do we know Jesus is returning, and how do we prepare for it?

Transition: We know that Jesus is coming because the Bible says so.

I. The Bible gives us many promises of Jesus= return.

A. Jesus himself says he will return. John 14:1-4

1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."

1. Jesus says we should not be troubled or frustrated.

a. Believing Jesus may not return causes us to be troubled.

b. Knowing that Jesus is returning gives us hope.

i. Hope that our struggles are worthwhile—that we’ll be rewarded.

ii. Hope that our suffering will end.

2. There is much room in the Kingdom of God.

a. Beware of those who claim to have the exclusive truth—saying only their group will make it to heaven.

a. Sad to say, there is even a Pentecostal group that teaches you must be baptized their way, or you will go to hell.

b. The Kingdom of heaven is bigger than that.

c. (Joke of the small building in heaven filled with “we’re the only true believers” Christians)

b. God wants all to be saved. We must be about the business of introducing the lost to Jesus Christ.

3. Jesus is preparing a place for us! If he made this world in six days, and he has been preparing heaven for us for 2000 years, can you imagine how wonderful it will be?!

B. The Apostles said that Jesus will return. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18

16For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 18Therefore encourage each other with these words.

1. The dead in Christ will be with Jesus first. How many have loved ones you’re looking forward to seeing?

2. He said that all the Christians will rise to be with Jesus.

a. The rapture will not be a secret. If you are a Christian you can’t miss it.

b. Christians will be gathered from everywhere—there’s no need to be in a certain church, or any preparatory place.

c. The only place we need to be is in loving relationship with Jesus Christ!

Transition: If Jesus is coming, how can we be ready?

I. We can be ready by keeping watch, living holy, doing good, and winning the lost.

A. Be ready by keeping watch. Matthew 25:1-13

1"At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6"At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'

7"Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'

9" 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'

10"But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11"Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'

12"But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'

13"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

1. The 10 virgins represent 10 church-goers.

a. Five were in close relationship with God, ready for the return of Jesus.

b. Five were Sunday Christians. They stayed close to the action, but never embraced the Christian life as their own.

c. When Jesus returned, five were ready, and went in to the wedding to receive their glorious reward.

d. When Jesus returned, five were NOT ready, and were removed from the wedding party. They received their wretched reward in the outer darkness.

2. Saints, we need to be ready by keeping our sense of urgency.

a. Jesus could return at any time.

b. We need to conduct our lives accordingly.

Transition: Besides generally looking forward to the return of Jesus, we keep ready by living holy.

B. Be ready by living godly lives. 2 Corinthians 6:17-18

17"Therefore come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you. 18I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."

1. Separation is an old-time holiness teaching that says we are in this world, but we are not of it.

a. We need to be careful what we watch on TV, and the theater, or in our home entertainment centers.

b. We need to be careful what we read, and even how we speak.

c. We need to be careful how we dress, and with whom we spend time.

2. I’m not going to give you a list of what is and is not acceptable. But, will we let God plant such a list in each of our hearts? Amen?

3. Saints, it’s time to do as the Bible says, and to live sober, purposeful lives.

Transition: Being clean is not the end-all of Christian living. One way to stay clean is to do nothing! God wants more than that from us.

C. Be ready by doing good. Matthew 25:34-36

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

1. Jesus tells us to feed the hungry.

2. Jesus tells us to give the thirsty a drink.

3. Jesus tells us to welcome strangers.

4. Jesus tells us to clothe those who lack clothes.

5. Jesus tells us to heal the sick.

6. Jesus tells us to visit the prisoners.

7. The bottom line is that we must be charitable, open-hearted, and loving.

8. Put another way, Jesus said LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS MUCH AS YOU ALREADY LOVE YOURSELVES.

9. James put it in yet another way, when he said that, “Faith without works is dead.”

10. If you were accused of acting like a Christian, would they have enough evidence to convict you?

Transition: As important as it is for us to watch, remain holy, and to do good, we must also share the good news.

D. Be ready by witnessing to the love of Jesus. Matthew 28:19-20

19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

1. Know some basic salvation Scripture.

a. The Romans Road is good.

b. I simply use John 3:16 and 1 John 1:8-9

John3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

1 John:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

2. Know your own testimony of how God gave you salvation.

3. Grow in whatever talents and strengths God has given you, and use them for the glory of God.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Jesus is returning and that return is 2000 years closer than it was when he first made the promise.

2. Therefore, let us be ready.

• Expect his return.

• Live holy.

• Do good.

• Finally, be a witness.

3. Children’s Sunday School song: Somewhere in Outer Space & John 14:3

WARNING! False Chaplain alert!!!! False Chaplain alert!!!!!

This is a test of the False Prophet alert system. This is only a test. Had it been a real event, Prison Chaplain would have announced a particular date in which we must be prepared. He would also have told all us Mormons that he is God's true prophet and to ignore the man behind the curtain....

Ram and Vort....consider your LAUGH button pushed. Hi...thanks for your continued support.

BTW Vort...your suggestion is so passe. Antis now accuse your church of being rich, politically connected, and of using evangelical and Catholic pro-Family groups as fronts for your secret anti-GLTB agenda. Get with the millenium, dude! :-)

BTW Vort...your suggestion is so passe. Antis now accuse your church of being rich, politically connected, and of using evangelical and Catholic pro-Family groups as fronts for your secret anti-GLTB agenda. Get with the millenium, dude! :-)

Wait... wait... its suppose to be secret?! Why doesn't someone tell me these things? ;)

Ram and Vort....consider your LAUGH button pushed. Hi...thanks for your continued support.

I'm always a day late and a dollar short. But I hear the Rapture is occurring soon, so I won't have to put with this much longer!

Wait... wait... its suppose to be secret?! Why doesn't someone tell me these things? ;)

In the 80s it was "The Godmakers." In the 20-tens it's "The Mormon Proposition." Ironically, after watching the latter I was thinking, "These guys are alright! I just might vote for . . . :cool:

In the 80s it was "The Godmakers." In the 20-tens it's "The Mormon Proposition." Ironically, after watching the latter I was thinking, "These guys are alright! I just might vote for . . . :cool:

The Mormon Proposition? I thought it was The Mormon Preposition. I assumed it was talking about peculiar Utah speech habits, like saying "Oh my heck". Thanks for clearing that up for me, PC.

The Mormon Proposition? I thought it was The Mormon Preposition. I assumed it was talking about peculiar Utah speech habits, like saying "Oh my heck". Thanks for clearing that up for me, PC.

Not to be outdone by its sequel, The Mormon Preposition 2: Tooele Saints--which delves into the hidden nuances of "Oh my Helen Keller".

PrisonChaplain, I love your outline. I too wish I could have been there to hear it. I hope that the way I live my life shows that I'm a Christian. Thank you for the reminders on how we should live to prepare ourselves for Christ's coming.