Dracula by Bram Stoker

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MrShorty

MrShorty

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Interestingly, I have never read Bram Stoker's Dracula. Saw it at the library a few weeks ago and decided it was time to read the "original" vampire story.

Basic plot summary: Count Dracula, an old vampire from eastern Europe has decided to infiltrate London and calls in Johnathon Harker, a lawyer, to help him obtain property and other legal matters. Harker nearly falls prey to the vampires but escapes. His fiancee's friend comes down with a strange malady. Over the course of treatment, the "head physician" studies the legends about vampires deciphers the clues that she is under a vampires influence. In spite of their best efforts, the young woman dies and becomes a vampire herself, and it is necessary to kill her with the traditional stake through the heart. At this point, the group decides they must find and destroy Dracula to prevent him from taking over London.

#2 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

Funny you should mention that. I just read it recently...my second time. I have a friend that reads it every October, LOL! I love it because the suspense is so thick from the first page! It scared the beejeebees out of me the first time I read it. (A fun scare). My husband can't imagine why I would enjoy rading about vampires, but then he doesn't read for entertainment either.

#3 MrShorty

MrShorty

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

I love it because the suspense is so thick from the first page!

I would agree. Part of me wishes I could go back 100 years and read it before everyone knew it was about a vampire. Even though I had never read it, I knew before I started that Dracula was a vampire, but Stoker only gave little hints/clues as to his nature. I don't think he even used the word "vampire" for a good one-third to one-half of the book.

#4 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Yes! I thought the same thing. Sigh... :D

#5 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3453 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:54 AM

neeed to find a rickety old cabin out in the woods to read it at :P

#6 JudoMinja

JudoMinja

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 1901 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

I've greatly enjoyed the book myself and am thinking about giving it another read. :D When I was in high school, I was part of a play based on the Stoker's Dracula. My part was minor and I mostly helped behind the scenes. I got to do a "scream" from off stage because the teacher thought I did the best at making it sound blood-curdlingly terrifying, lol. It was a LOT of fun. :) My older brother was in it too (we were two years apart) and he played the part of Jonathan Harker. I'm still friends with the guy who played Count Dracula, and he's actually making a career out of acting right now. He's been in a few small films and tends toward the scary/suspense type films.
Bhagavad Gita - “Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he becomes.”

William Shakespeare - “This above all: to thine ownself be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

#7 girlygirl

girlygirl

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

I read it a few years ago, I found it extreemly gripping and I was surprised at how good it was!

#8 Dr T

Dr T

• Members
  • 17393 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Wait so Dracula is a vampire?

#9 zaporah

zaporah

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

My VERY favorite book!

#10 Captain_Curmudgeon

Captain_Curmudgeon

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:02 PM

ONLY vampire novel I'm ever going to read and the first. Interesting that in this very first vampire novel the sexual overtones are there and that you have to believe considerable orthodox (non-Mormon) religious mumbo-jumbo for the novel to work. Gimme zombies every day.

#11 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6032 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

Wait so Dracula is a vampire?

Actually, this is just a very common misconception. Dracula is actually a very large gnome/rabbit hybrid.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#12 mordorbund

mordorbund

wordHat

• Ask Gramps Team
  • 1944 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Actually, this is just a very common misconception. Dracula is actually a very large gnome/rabbit hybrid.

Aren't you thinking about Bunnicula?

#13 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6032 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Aren't you thinking about Bunnicula?

No, not at all. I am thinking of Dracula, though he and Bunnicula are 4th cousins twice removed. Bunnicula is a small and fuzzy bunny who likes to train vegetables. He's harmless, though Dracula has been proven deadly.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#14 mordorbund

mordorbund

wordHat

• Ask Gramps Team
  • 1944 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

though Dracula has been proven deadly.

Don't you mean undeadly.

#15 Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat

• Inactive 2+ Years
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

One of my all-time favorite books. It is just a great book.

#16 TStevieRob

TStevieRob

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Great read. Great by yourself, on a dark and stormy night.

#17 Saldrin

Saldrin

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • LocationUtah!

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Vampires bite.... HA!

#18 classylady

classylady

• Members
  • 1540 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

I read the book back when I was a teenager during the Christmas holidays in the early 70s. The only reason I remember this is because one of my gifts was my first cassette player. And I only had one cassette tape--Led Zeppelin III. I played that tape over and over as I was reading the book. To this day, if I hear any of the songs from that album, especially "Immigrant Song", I get all tense and a terrible sense of dread. Very good book! Also a great album!

#19 bjinterfaith2012

bjinterfaith2012

• Inactive 1+ year
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

Okay now I'm scared....and here up until this point I thought the Smurfs were somethng to fear! You know how many nights I had to tell myself that little blue people werent going to come in my sleep and abduct me? But then in time I told myself, it's just a cartoon.....its the Leprechuans that I have to worry about, now THEY did abuct me once!!! And it was a terrfying experieince I will never forget!! But the Smurfs, there just make believe...now Bunnicula, REALLY scares me!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq