Disposing of Garments

Guest FixingTheWrongs

Guest FixingTheWrongs

So how do you dispose of garments? I got quite a few that no longer fit. I was told to cut out all the symbols, then rip the garments to rags so they cannot be worn again. Then take the symbols and cut them up as fine as possible. Then everything can be thrown away. Is this right?

From the CHI Book 2:

To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred.

So basically, yep.

So how do you dispose of garments? I got quite a few that no longer fit. I was told to cut out all the symbols, then rip the garments to rags so they cannot be worn again. Then take the symbols and cut them up as fine as possible. Then everything can be thrown away. Is this right?

Yes.

Or, you can burn them.

ok this is one I'll admit I've never fully understood. I honestly think this is just tradition from the past. I seriously doubt there is anyone waiting to go through my trash to find out if I threw some garments away so they can get their hands on (or wear) my worn out "magic mormon undies". I can see how in the early days of the church with heavy persecution and such that this might be a real concnern.... but today? I really don't think anyone cares.

I remember being in 11th grade and at a friends house she started talking about her parents burning the markings in their garments for disposal. That was the first I had heard of such a thing. The way she described it made it sound like some crazy ritual and that was the first time I thought the garments and such to be weird. That bothered me more than anything else. I was very happy to hear you didn't "have" to do that. lol

Guest mysticmorini

ok this is one I'll admit I've never fully understood. I honestly think this is just tradition from the past. I seriously doubt there is anyone waiting to go through my trash to find out if I threw some garments away so they can get their hands on (or wear) my worn out "magic mormon undies". I can see how in the early days of the church with heavy persecution and such that this might be a real concnern.... but today? I really don't think anyone cares.

I remember being in 11th grade and at a friends house she started talking about her parents burning the markings in their garments for disposal. That was the first I had heard of such a thing. The way she described it made it sound like some crazy ritual and that was the first time I thought the garments and such to be weird. That bothered me more than anything else. I was very happy to hear you didn't "have" to do that. lol

I think it is more because the garments with the symbols on them are sacred articles not to be tossed into the trash. Remove the symbols and they are just cloth.

Guest FixingTheWrongs

I don't think I'd want to burn the whole thing. My main issue is what to do with the removed symbols. I have heard that you should burn the symbols. Isn't just finely cutting them up so they cannot be identified and throwing them in the trash ok?

Or you can be like us and just save about 15 years' worth of old garments in a bag with the intention to take care of them someday. Just make sure you add to the bag now and then.

Fabric was not always a cheap commodity like it is today. Some people even used to make their living as rag pickers. I'm pretty sure the counsel was given to those who really wanted/needed to use the fabric in old garments but did not want to desecrate them.

The point is, destroy the symbols and what you have left is just plain fabric. It isn't the fabric that makes the holy garment holy.

Guest FixingTheWrongs

Or you can be like us and just save about 15 years' worth of old garments in a bag with the intention to take care of them someday. Just make sure you add to the bag now and then.

Thank you Eowyn. :) Your post brought back a funny memory on my mission. :D When we decided to clean out a closet in our appartment we must of had about 50 pairs of garments left by various Elders over the past 15 years. We spent two hours that evening cutting out symbols and we did go burn them just for fun, but I'd rather not do that nowadays if it isn't necessary. Oh the mission memories..... :D

You are assuming that the purpose of destroying the symbols is to keep them out of the hands of the dirty unbelievers. I disagree, I think it's an extension of the idea of keeping them off the floor or mended (also mentioned in the CHI Book 2). They aren't kept off the floor because the unworthy disbelieving floor my catch a glimpse but because of ideas of what is the respectful way of dealing with sacred or respected things (in this case the symbols and less the cloth itself but cutting the cloth up retires it in a fashion). We see the same concept in Sunday Dress, the idea is to show respect to the Lord when we partake of the Sacrament and worship him, but the uniform of a shirt and tie (or a dress) is a cultural answer to the question of, "What is respectful?"

For example, the US Flag is often retired by burning. It's not that we need to keep warn out flags out of the hands of evil Non-Americans, but because it's what our culture feels is respectful treatment.

Edited by Dravin

ok this is one I'll admit I've never fully understood. I honestly think this is just tradition from the past. I seriously doubt there is anyone waiting to go through my trash to find out if I threw some garments away so they can get their hands on (or wear) my worn out "magic mormon undies". I can see how in the early days of the church with heavy persecution and such that this might be a real concnern.... but today?

Gwen this is not just a tradition from the past. How to dispose of worn out garments is part of the temple instruction for those members getting their endowment for the first time.

As far as "I really don't think anyone cares." Just a quick search on Youtube will show you why we should care. Not too many years ago a reporter came to Utah, went into a Distribution Center dressed in a suit with white shirt and tie. He bought garments without being asked for anything but what ward/stake he belonged to. He then went to his hotel, put the garment on and video taped himself wearing the garment and mocking LDS beliefs. He then posted the video online. Shortly after that happened members were required to show their current temple recommend to buy garments, with no exceptions.

Thank you Dravin. That is a very important point.

I have a "bag of worn out garments." :)

IF I feel so inclined I'll cut them up. But I don't always have time so every once in a great while, when the bag gets overflowing and IF I remember that's its in the closet when my husband is burning brush in the spring... I'll just put the whole bag on the fire. Watching the fire with my husband when I've burned a bag of garments has had some interesting and positive outcomes. Being together as we respectfully dispose of a symbol of our covenants in a respectful way brings us closer.

Edited by applepansy