#21 Spartan117

Spartan117

Mormon Convert Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • ReligionMormon Convert

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:15 PM

lol not sure if I should laugh or thank that post.

Either way I got your back ;)

#22 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:29 AM

lol posted by a friend on fb..... time for me to listen to the whisperings around me?

Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the jerk whisperer

I'll go in next week and talk to the director of the library face to face and then let it go. I have better things to do with my time.... like prepare my lessons for temple prep class. :)

i don't have problems, i have issues
problems can be fixed, issues you just deal with

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it.
The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be."
-Robert Fulghum

#23 Spartan117

Spartan117

Mormon Convert Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • ReligionMormon Convert

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

I'll be on standby if you want to go with plan B and make a huge scene and yell at people.

#24 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Update.... I know it's been awhile. lol

So I went to the director to discuss it face to face. She apologized that the list "appeared to be bigoted and the last thing they wanted was for anyone to feel uncomfortable at the public library" She made it very clear that it would not change and that it appearing to be bigoted was my personal issue and that I was welcome to come anyway and suggest books for the next 6 months.

I left and haven't thought much about it since. I also haven't been back to the library or taken the kids back in that time.

So yesterday my son says there is some activity at the library they were talking about at school and he wanted to go. So I went to the library webpage to see what it was and found out that not only did they go through with their book club choices but next week for their monthly movie they do they are showing "The 19th Wife". In their add for it no where does it say it's a historical fiction. They are also requesting suggestions for the next 6 months of books.

Sooooo book suggestions for a small southern town (with a shade of bigotry)???? lol It doesn't just have to be pro lds... anything that shakes up their bible belt perspectives I'm open to.

"The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it.
The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be."
-Robert Fulghum

#25 rameumptom

rameumptom

• Members
  • 7199 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

I would suggest anything from Malcolm X, perhaps a book that discusses the Baptist role in slavery, and Harold Bloom's American Religion (it is nice to JS, tough on Baptists as the 'know nothing" religion).
:pope:

Rameumptom: A Holy Stand or Podium, where I can pontificate to my heart's delight.

rameumptom.weebly.com

#26 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10558 posts
  • LocationSeattle area
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:43 AM

Inherit the Wind

As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.
Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#27 Over43

Over43

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Why would a public library be so heavily involed in anti-LDS literature? How many books are in the library?
Hypochondriacs are their own terrorists.- From "More Die of Heartbreak" by Saul Bellow

#28 Gwen

Gwen

• Members
  • 5483 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

I think it's a fair sized library for a small town. And that is why they can be so heavily involved in anti lds activities, it's a small town. Most of the churches here have some kind of anti lds class every year.

-Robert Fulghum

#29 The Raven

The Raven

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

So they want "true" books... I say give it to them!

My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide by: Tracey D. Lawrence

Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty by: Daron Acemoglu

The Addiction of Mary Todd Lincoln by:Anne E. Beidler

Used to be called "Gretchen". Rest in peace. Good dog.

Never attribute to malice that which can more appropriately be attributed to stupidity.

Sometimes, the prettiest smiles hide the darkest secrets. The prettiest eyes have eyes have cried the most tears, and the kindest hearts have felt the most pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq