Marriage / Temple Marriage

Jesterss

Ok, I come with a loaded question. That I will not deny, but then again, aren't all questions? If we have doubts we always have a reasoning...

Well let me explain my story and my question and hopefully I get many attempts at an answer..

I'm non-denominational, my wife is mormon.. my wife's mom, brother, 3 sisters, and all their spouses are mormons...

I've talked to 5 missionaries in person, and countless missionaries on mormon.org/chat...

I've talked with my mother-in-law and 2 brother-in-laws.. 1 brother-in-law has asked a local bishop...

nobody has an answer...

So let's get to the question..

Basically, why do Mormons believe in the eternal family?.. My understanding is that mormons believe that in order to reach the highest level of heaven, you must be married, and it must be done in a mormon temple..

WHY?

My further understanding of the mormon faith tells me that it's because Jesus bestowed upon Peter the "Keys of Eternal Bondage".. SO what does that mean?.. Did Peter go and marry people in the temple in Jerusalem (the only existing temple? was that peters job?)

No, we all know Peter's job was to be a missionary of Jesus and be his greatest Disciple that the church would be built upon, because Peter was to be the rock of Jesus' church. How then was Peter the rock? He roamed the country, far and wide to preach the good news of Jesus to everyone who would listen.. So then if he was this far from the temple, how then could he marry people in a temple and send them into marriage with eternal bondage without a temple?...

Well, I guess the answer to that is it's definitely not possible... we have to agree on that.. so then it also takes us to trying to understand what church it was Peter was building for Jesus. Was it a physical church or congregation? Highly unlikely as Peter was a traveler and belonged to no such affiliations.. He was given one of the greatest gifts of his earthly life of being a disciple of Jesus. Following Jesus, listening to every word he said and everything he did.. So he could mimic him and preach of the wonderful things Jesus did and has yet to do... Jesus himself said the temple was his body.. not a physical temple.. So what were these keys of bondage?... But the good word of jesus!!.. Peter was bonding us to Jesus! and those who didn't believe in his words, didn't believe in Jesus, so he loosed them here on earth! But those who listened, Peter was able to bond with the words he spoke of Jesus..

So maybe you disregard that entire paragraph and you don't agree.. OK.. So let's look at 1 Corinthians 7.. AN ENTIRE CHAPTER dedicated by Paul to the excellence of singleness!.. Luke 18:29-30, 29 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus said to them, “no one who has left home or wife or brothers or sisters or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age, and in the age to come eternal life.”

Ok sure, maybe in Luke he is talking to his disciples, but that doesn't explain Paul stating the exact same thing and how it's better to be single than to marry!.. So wherein is it better to marry or even required of by God or Jesus?..

I don't think you can rightfully in your heart or mind say that it's the answer...

But this is a forum, so let the discussion begin!!...

Please don't take offense to any of this..

Titus 2:15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

Why do we marry eternally in the temple?

Because God has commanded us to, and we wont get the chance to marry in heaven.

Why has god commanded us to marry? To enjoy the same blessings He does.

A temple is a vessel sanctified to be and to hold that which is holy. Whether it be a persons body, a group, or a building- in the case of the LDS folks a temple refers to an earthly house that has been sanctified so that God may dwell therein.

So basically as far as biblical explanations are concerned, there is no answer, the answer is based solely on the Book of Mormon and what Joseph Smith taught?

I guess that explains why the missionaries told me to pray about it and ask if Joseph Smith is true..

I thought the Bible was pretty clear that marriage is sanctioned by God. Your interpretation may vary, but to say that LDS theology has no Biblical explanation is ignoring truth.

Edited by bytebear

As for Temple worship in the New Testament, do a search for the word "mysteries" and think of it in the context of temple worship. Since the Levitical law changed temple worship, I suspect Peter did what Joseph Smith or Moses did, which was perform the rituals in homes or makeshift structures until such time as a proper temple could be built.