Father might be losing job

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JudoMinja

JudoMinja

• Members
  • 1901 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

My father has a contract job that goes up for renewal every year. Every year, when that time comes, there is a big stink over whether or not the renewal will go through, but it always works out. This year though, the contract is not being renewed and my father's job is being converted to a GS position. My parents initially thought he would be okay, but that time of the year is coming up again and he was told at work today that he will qualify for unemployment. Please keep my parents and family in your prayers.
Bhagavad Gita - “Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he becomes.”

William Shakespeare - “This above all: to thine ownself be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

#2 Guest_mormonmusic_*

Guest_mormonmusic_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

Will do -- losing one's job can be very unsettling. I know. One of the brethren in my quorum said there are employment loss counseling services you can go to after losing your job so you can get help with the turbulence it creates in your inner peace etcetera. He went to one and it really helped. I don't know where, but I think there have got to be services that will show up on an Internet search -- in case you want to pass that one to your father.

#3 JudoMinja

JudoMinja

• Members
  • 1901 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, it might be pretty hard for him. My father has never been with out a job. He dropped out of high school a couple years early, got his GED, and went straight into the military. Was in the military for 24 years before he had to retire as he hadn't been able to advance in promotions enough to stay in longer. But, he'd finished his bachelor's in Computer Science while in the military and had a good friend help him get his resume out there so that he basically had a new job the day he was out of the military.

That was this contract job, which isn't super stable. As said earlier, it goes up for renewal every year, and so far he's been fine. He's always looking for other work that would be more stable but has never been able to settle on anything that would be giving him about the same or better pay than what he's already getting. This year, it actually looks like he's losing the job. He might be the one who gets the position when it's converted to a GS, but he will at least be out of work for a couple months. He may end up having to settle for something less, just so that he has a job.

I know my parents will be able to get through it, but don't know how hard it's going to be before everything gets settled back in place again. I just hope it doesn't hurt my dad's self-esteem too much, since he's never had to deal with being jobless before.

William Shakespeare - “This above all: to thine ownself be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

#4 bettyjbass

bettyjbass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

My father has a contract job that goes up for renewal every year. Every year, when that time comes, there is a big stink over whether or not the renewal will go through, but it always works out. This year though, the contract is not being renewed and my father's job is being converted to a GS position. My parents initially thought he would be okay, but that time of the year is coming up again and he was told at work today that he will qualify for unemployment. Please keep my parents and family in your prayers.

JudoMinja, listen to this problem with an issue that has me sick about a job that I want so bad. I have a job line up waiting on me togo and get, and I went to the Bishop tonite about a issue that is causing me to not get the JOB! Now, he has told me that the church is in a red flag that he can not help me to pay off something of a issue to be able me to work. So now that I am not able to pay my tithes/offering to the church, and September 19, is the job interview which is my problem out of work for two years and unemployment cash ran out. I am so torn of what to do, plus need to pay the issue off that is, with my driver license issue/ from past registration which cause my license to be outdated/renewal charges now. I just feel like not going back to church, although my family is okay with food, but for me togo back to work and finally to receive a job that I will not show up to get is because of this problem. The world of things to all that's around me, is making myself feel as dough I want to give up on everything now! I will continue to pray for your father, as well that I continue with my heart, soul, and mind all the strength that I have to 'Our Heavenly Father', for a breakthrough for us. But, However hopefully that they will sign the contract for him to keep working, and keep his benefits. The importance is our tithes/offerings to me, as I knows it is to him too!

#5 JudoMinja

JudoMinja

• Members
  • 1901 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

Today is the first official day that my father is out of work. It sounds like it's all politics right now.... They purposely allowed his contract to terminate so they could push the paperwork through faster to get it converted to a GS position. However, that means my dad is now unemployed while they try to get that taken care of... and it is possible that it still won't be approved or that someone else will end up getting the position in my father's place, even though his coworkers want him to come back...

So, just wanted to bump this. Please remember to keep my parents in your prayers while they go through this tough time. Thank you!

#6 Guest_mormonmusic_*

Guest_mormonmusic_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

I just want to share the perspective of a father with a daughter. I was sick a while ago, and she came into my room and just served me. Brought me food and drink, sat at the side of the bed and talked to me, encouraged me to feel better. She got a cold facecloth and put it on my forehead to help with the fever. I didn't ask for any of this as I'd just announced I didn't feel well and needed to lie down. It had been building all week and I'd neglected everything but my basic work responsibilities since I'd been feeling so awful.

It was so comforting to have a daughter who obviously cared so much for me when I wasn't feeling very well and quietly suffering. Reach out to your Dad with love and do something meaningful and kind for him if you know he's hurting.

I woke up three hours after my daughter came into my room to find it completely cleaned and scrubbed, along with my personal bathroom. I asked her how long it took, and she said "three hours". She is 12 years old.

I was moved almost to the point of tears wtih gratitude and I was totally moved by it. I wonder if a lot of other Dads would feel the same way when a daughter reaches out to them that way during times of quiet suffering. For the next day I was truly the happiest suffering man on earth given her kindness and love. If you think your father would react similarily, doing something kind and selfless to make him feel better. You might not be able to do much about his job situation, but you can do much for his inner peace and gratitude to God for the people around him.

Edited by mormonmusic, 03 October 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#7 JudoMinja

JudoMinja

• Members
  • 1901 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:24 AM

My father is now employed! :D Thank you for your prayers!

#8 Jennarator

Jennarator

• Members
  • 1848 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

Yay!!!

#9 lafrenieredianne1

lafrenieredianne1

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

I was just about to post when I read your last comments....great news!! Sometimes when one door closes another door opens......prayers are powerful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq