What To Do With Ward Missionaries

Johntharrington

So I am a recently called ward mission leader in Portland Oregon. I am serving in a ward that has not had a baptism in over two years, and over the past 30 years (or so I'm told), has not had much missionary success.

We have knocked on the doors of every less active, and discovered that some had moved, some wanted their names removed from the records of the church, some wanted to be put on a letter route, and a few wanted the missionaries to come visit (which they have all discontinued by now). We visited nearly 200 of these individuals.

The elders had someone in their teaching pool, but she has since dropped them.

So my question is this, I have 5 ward missionaries, who are eager to help, but I'm not exactly sure where to direct their energies, any ideas?

We are starting a member missionary class this next month. Also I have designated specific themes for member missionary work during each month (i.e. this month was Restoration month and so we encouraged members to share a copy of the Restoration DVD), I have the ward missionaries ask and commit members to share the gospel, but they all feel like they are being underutilized and I feel that way too.

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you :)

Have them study the Preach My Gospel, then teach member families how to do member missionary work.

Have them teach the lessons to part-member/inactive families, in order to reactivate or convert.

These are perhaps the two best things you can do with them. We have lessons for investigators and new members, but none to teach members how to do missionary work. Perhaps develop a set of lessons from the PMG, which would include the following concepts:

1. The importance of member missionary work. Have family pray for missionary experiences and for the work.

2. Finding and preparing #1: Teach about pass along cards, put up a profile on Mormon.Org to share with those they meet (with the Mormon.org pass along cards).

3. Finding and preparing #2: List 20 nonmember family/friends in the area. With family, prayerfully select 2-3 to focus on to friendship. Determine where each one is spiritually and in being ready to hear the gospel.

4. Finding and preparing #3: With the selected families, plan wholesome activities that will give others the chance to see a Mormon family in action/having fun/serving. Plan 1-2 activities with each family, per month, giving them the chance to feel the spirit, etc. These activities may be a FHE, fun ward activity, or a dinner with another LDS family or two present, etc.

5. Teaching that church programs can help others: Discuss FHE, Family History Research, Service, Youth activities, Relief Society, etc. Focus on issues that selected focus families will find of interest.

6. When ready, invite friends to Church, Listen to missionaries, etc. Teach family how to give soft challenges/invitations, and to recognize the appropriate time for offering an invitation.

Make sure the ward missionaries do follow up on challenges given. Just as the missionaries are taught to 1. Teach, 2. Practice, 3. Invite, 4. Follow up, we need to do the same with the families. It may be important to also teach the family the challenge pattern.

We used some of these on my mission and had great success.

Guest mormonmusic

My philosophy has always been that unless the Ward programs and overall experience in the Ward is good, missionary efforts generally result in non-starters except for the very, very elect and prepared.

Sunday has to be pretty good with well-prepared lessons and a caring, loving atmosphere extended to all people in the Ward. Youth Weekly activities need to be well-planned with caring leaders and youth who make Church a worthwhile place ot be. Members then feel proud of their Ward, willing to do missionary work. As a result, when they bring their non-member contacts to Church, they are more likely to feel the Spirit and progress.

It sounds like your Ward suffers from weak programs if you can't get anyone to come.

I would be investing heavily in supporting Ward social activities, getting the Ward missionaries reaching out to the members of the Ward to model the kind of culture you want in the Ward. Yes, encouraging the members to do member missionary work is a good idea, but honestly, without good programs at Church, it's like advertising a sale on great hamburgers. And then when new customers come for the hamburgers, there aren't any.

Also, get your Ward missionaries visiting the new move-ins that pop up on the Ward records. I generated a lot of referrals from mining this group of people monthly -- after I visited all 200 homes and got rejected by them all. If people have just moveed in, their minds are often more open to change. Plus a welcome from the Ward sets the tone for a meaningful Church experience, full of hamburgers!! Often they have non-members in the household.

Also, consider having one of the Ward missionaries scouting the area for new move-ins -- evidenced by homes with Sold signs on them or For Rent signs taken down. If you have a real estate agent in the Ward, or some kind of public database that shows recent sales of homes, find out the homes that have sold recently and visit them with a welcome packet. Again, people who have moved tend to be more open-minded and friendly.

Also, turn your Ward mission into a mini-social activities committee and plan social events for groups or sub-groups of people in the ward at people's houses. Have refreshments, some kind of wholesome activity and encourage people to invite their non-member friends. Make it fun and non-threatening. Try not to step on the toes of the social activities people, if any (since that's been disbanded at the Ward level), but provide people with a social outlet in the Ward to build community and make the place full of hamburgers!!! (Of course you know I mean hamburgers as an analogy for a loving, happening, unified culture at Church and among members outside of Church).

I really don't get it sometimes. For all the business orientation our lay ministers bring to the Church, we don't seem to understand that having good Ward programs is critical to attracting new members, just as clean washrooms, good product, and a positive overall experience is critical to attracting and keeping customers. Granted we're a Church, NOT a business, but given the sacrifices these new members will be asked to make for their whole life, I can't see it hurting one bit to make Church a loving, happening place to be.

Finally, don't waste your time trying to turn the people who HATE missionary work into member missionaries. Work with the people have an interest in it. If they do sales for a living, or have that orientation, they are often willing to do missionary work. If they aren't into it, stop forcing them. Work with the willing people or the ones, who if encouraged, are willing to risk it. Leave the others alone -- you'll only frustrated yourself.

Edited by mormonmusic

Thank you for both of your responses.

So in ward council I proposed the ideas of socials, but the ward council soundly rejected the notion saying that we don't need any more meetings.

I really like the idea about new member move ins. Now that I think about it, I remember when I was younger, moving into a ward and receiving a gift basket and a welcome to the area.

And yes mormonmusic I agree with you, sometimes I marvel that people join the church given how cold some wards are. Like President Hinckley said every new member needs a friend (and investigator too).

Again thank you for the ideas, they are appreciated and will see implementation.

Guest mormonmusic
Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

So in ward council I proposed the ideas of socials, but the ward council soundly rejected the notion saying that we don't need any more meetings.

So I think my initial assessment -- that your Ward is probably not a warm blanket -- might be correct. I would organize them yourself on an informal basis. People hear "there is a BBQ over at Johntharrington's place this evening!". "The so and so's are having a pool party this evening". Make it non-Church sponsored, but invite all your Church friends. Encourage the Ward missionaries and attendees to bring a non-member and just have fun. If the Ward Council is too burnt out or stoic to make the Ward the kind of place people want to attend, then build that culture within your own circle of influence.....

Edited by mormonmusic

We have a missionary in our ward who has been here for 9 months now. He's really gotten to know the area and the people in our ward. What he's been doing is helping us as members feel comfortable inviting our friends to church and church activities.

October, November and December are big holiday months with lots of church activities going on. Perhaps your missionaries can help make those activities one that the members can be proud to invite their friends too. Have them get the word our that members are supposed to invite friends. Get members excited and committed to the activities, to making them a success and something they would be proud to invite friends too. You've seen that missionaries on their own aren't doing much, but they can help support the already active members be more successful missionaries.

• 2 weeks later...

What I am going to post may sound flip, or disrespectful to your unit or the church in general. It is not meant to in anyway.

Take a look around your unit, stop and ask yourself, "Why would anyone want to join this?"

If you see things that you love and cherish about your unit or the church then find ways for your members to share those things. Note that these might be different for everyone in your unit. That is ok! People are comfortable sharing things that they find of value, but they don't like to be coerced to do so. So don't set up a "program" or a quota. Have them honestly assess what is good about your ward and branch and find a way to share that. They don't have to share the BOM, or anything about the Restoration, Living Prophets, Forever Families, or anything else. They just need to find what they find of value and share that!

If you or your ward missionaries look around and can't find things that would make people want to join, or would keep people away, then working on fixing those things first.

Those are my $.02 for what it is worth. Except to say good luck with your calling. It is not an easy one. It CAN be a rewarding one.

-RM

• 2 years later...

I recognize that this post is very old. I can't help but join in.

Missionary work must start with the ward council. If the ward council didn't like the idea of more activities, no problem, what are they going to do to share the gospel. I would suggest you focus on your energy on creating a ward mission plan with your ward council. Each organization needs to figure out how they will contribute to the ward mission effort.

There is a great training video here on how to create a ward mission plan:

https://www.lds.org/service/leadership/mission-leader?lang=eng

Follow this process. Help your ward become a "vast army with enthusiasm."

Hey check out Clayton Christensen's book The Power of Everyday Missionaries. It really is incredible and opened my eyes to lot's of interesting ideas.

One of the many practical things he talks about is inviting non-members and less-actives to use their interests and skills to help serve. He invited some ladies to use their baking skills to make bread for the sacrament in his ward. He had a co-worker who he considered very service oriented and invited her to help team teach a lesson on the good Samaritan. It really is a fantastic resource.

Two things come to mind.

First: If a ward is not converted, the Lord probably will not bring more sheep into the fold. The ward must be anxiously engaged in the work. If home/visiting teaching is weak, family history participation mediocre, and temple attendance sporadic, your missionary opportunities will be the same. In my opinion (and I say this with a loving smile) most worthy members in the Portland metro area should attend the temple at LEAST one a month.

Second: Be careful how you measure success. Was Abinidi a successful missionary? I would say yes even though he only had one conversion. Portland is a unique place. It is, in places, very hostile towards religion. Some areas have many church members and just a mile or two away you have areas that would make great movie sets for Sodom and Gomorrah. Success cannot be measured by baptisms alone.

If you are being obedient, striving to magnify your calling, and are serving with the phrase in mind "How can I help people come unto Christ?", your success will be great. If you feel the ward has no fire, then make a spark and fan the flames. Wards can change and they can change so very fast.