White noise machines?

Bini

Quick question about using white noise machines. Baby got one as a belated Christmas gift from the inlaws and it works great! It's got a timer on it that runs from 15 minutes to infinte. At nighttime we will set it to infinite and for daytime naps it varies. So how long did you use one? Was baby dependent on it? Honestly, I'm finding that I'm liking it quite a bit..

Oh here I was thinking for adult use. I just use a fan, generally not pointed at me (if it's pointed at me I tend to wake up with a sore throat), other than the lack of a built in timer (one can get timers for outlets though) any reason that wouldn't work? Or even just a recording of a fan I suppose (You'd probably need to make it yourself).

I've used white noise machines off and on with my son, and he always seems to sleep better with one on. Even now, he is almost three and I will use one occassionally if he seems to be having a rougher night. He is not at all dependant on it and will sleep alright without one now, but he always gets a "smoother" sleep when I have one on, and he used to struggle very much with sleeping soundly.

We would play a relaxation CD at night for my little girl and while it helped her sleep she never became dependent on it. But it did make life easier.

After the CD stopped being effective we switched to leaving the bathroom fan on (her room is next to the bathroom). She is 4 1/2 now and we don't have any problems with her needing something to help her sleep.

I did this the cheap way and burned a CD containing a 1 hour track of white noise (that I found a sample of here) and played it on a CD player I already had before I went to bed. Of course, now it would probably easier to make a .mp3 of some white noise and play it through an ipod. :P

P.S. If anybody wants the white noise mp3 I made, I'd be glad to share it. Just ask :)

Quick question about using white noise machines. Baby got one as a belated Christmas gift from the inlaws and it works great! It's got a timer on it that runs from 15 minutes to infinte. At nighttime we will set it to infinite and for daytime naps it varies. So how long did you use one? Was baby dependent on it? Honestly, I'm finding that I'm liking it quite a bit..

I use my fan every night. all year long.

I highly like using the right kind of white noise as it helps drown out noises thta keep me awake.

I've never used one. Though, my kids don't sleep that well as babies, so maybe I should have. At least now that all three of them are in the same room, they don't wake each other up. Also, I can vacuum when people are taking naps and it doesn't bother anyone:)

I want to get to this point!

We do have three dogs and they're always running berserk around the house making all sorts of noise. I was really worried about that when I first brought baby home from the hospital but she quickly adapted to all the fuss and doesn't even mind them anymore. But sudden abrupt sounds like BANGS on TV or my husband grunting and clearing his throat (LOL), yeh that startles baby pretty badly :[

I want to get to this point!

We do have three dogs and they're always running berserk around the house making all sorts of noise. I was really worried about that when I first brought baby home from the hospital but she quickly adapted to all the fuss and doesn't even mind them anymore. But sudden abrupt sounds like BANGS on TV or my husband grunting and clearing his throat (LOL), yeh that startles baby pretty badly :[

That is perfectly normal. I've heard of people that don't even put the baby down to nap in a separate room, because they want the baby to adjust to all the noise so that he/she can sleep through anything. However, certain sudden sounds are hardwired into our DNA to wake us up, because it is part of a survival instinct. You could, theoretically, get your baby used to these noises too by making enough "sudden" sounds during the nap that the baby needs to get used to it, but personally I think that is a bad idea. Then, later in life, your child will be sleeping like a rock and won't wake up in an emergency.