17 replies to this topic

#1 Bini

Bini

xoxo

• Members
  • 5580 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I'm not a reader but I'd like to try a book. I'm a big fan of comedy-romance, fantasy and some sci-fi. Since I do watch a lot of movies, I'd like to stay away from books that have been made into movies.. Also, I'm looking for something that isn't too lengthy, that is moderately paced and easy to get into. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

No more dancing candy cane - hurrah!

#2 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8336 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Ender's Game--by Orson Scott Card. It is going to be made into a movie, but hasn't yet.
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#3 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Pride and Prejudice. It might take you a few chapters to get a feel for the English, which is now 200 years old, but it's well worth the effort to read one of the most enjoyable novels ever written.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#4 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6218 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

The Bayern Books by Shannon Hale, starting with The Goose Girl. My favorites!

#5 annewandering

annewandering

• Members
  • 4294 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I enjoy the Arcane series by Amanda Quick, Jayne Ann Krentz, and Jayne Castle, same author just different pennames. It takes an idea through the gothic romantic era (Amanda Quick) to the present, (Jayne Ann Krentz) to the future, (Jayne Castle).
Another series I like is the J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts penname) series, a futuristic murder detective, romantic series.
These books do have varying degrees of explicit scenes so be warned so you can bypass those.

#6 Jennarator

Jennarator

• Members
  • 1848 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I like the classics. Jane Eyre, Pride & Predjudice those old English ones. If you want newer books, i would suggest Harry Potter. Weather or not you have seen the movies, the books are way more discriptive and tell much more story.

#7 hjorth1

hjorth1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

I like the Brandon Mull series "Fablehaven" and his new one "Beyonders". Its a bit juvenile, but fun and I like to read what my kids read as well.

I love Harry Potter, the movies are not the books.

#8 Bini

Bini

xoxo

• Members
  • 5580 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks guys!

I have actually read P&P :) It is a great read and I actually enjoyed the movie too. Anne and hjorth1, I'm very interested in your suggestions.

#9 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 9738 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:36 PM

Bridges of Madison County - short romance. It's been made into a movie, sure, but I don't know many people who has seen it.

Okay, okay, it's not LDS compliant...

#10 annewandering

annewandering

• Members
  • 4294 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

Bridges of Madison County - short romance. It's been made into a movie, sure, but I don't know many people who has seen it.

Okay, okay, it's not LDS compliant...

LDS compliant is one of the hardest things I run up against in finding books. The kinds of books I prefer are seldom by LDS authors for one thing. Serial murder mystery/romances with a bit of psi if possible are my favorite. Now you would think that explicit would not be a problem in them but it seems that they are nearly a requirement to get published now. The best thing about books over movies is you can skip the parts you dont like a lot easier than in movies.
That is one reason that if I find an author that is at least better with that I read everything they write and hope they are very young so they will be writing for a long time. One author I like not quite in your specifications is Kay Hooper. Her bishop series is great and I dont remember any bad parts but it does involve serial killers and psi.

Edited by annewandering, 07 February 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#11 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 5890 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

My Fair Godmother. It's teeny, but it's way cute.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#12 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 9738 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Another short novel - not a romance, not sci-fi, not fantasy... it's actually a true-story about Corrie Ten Boom who survived the Nazi camps in World War II. It's an inspirational story that is a page-turner. I highly recommend it.

And if you really like a lot shorter novels than this then the teen section of the bookstore has qutie a good selection - I love reading (and re-reading) the Jedi Apprentice series - Star Wars expanded universe about Obiwan's experiences as a Jedi Apprentice set before Star Wars Episode I.

#13 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 9738 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

LDS compliant is one of the hardest things I run up against in finding books. The kinds of books I prefer are seldom by LDS authors for one thing. Serial murder mystery/romances with a bit of psi if possible are my favorite. Now you would think that explicit would not be a problem in them but it seems that they are nearly a requirement to get published now. The best thing about books over movies is you can skip the parts you dont like a lot easier than in movies.
That is one reason that if I find an author that is at least better with that I read everything they write and hope they are very young so they will be writing for a long time. One author I like not quite in your specifications is Kay Hooper. Her bishop series is great and I dont remember any bad parts but it does involve serial killers and psi.

Bridges of Madison County is not explicit, but the story is about a wife who cheated on her husband. And yes, she did make the choice to stay with the husband but it doesn't change the fact that her heart belongs to someone else. I guess it's like the story of Robin Hood. Yes, Robin Hood fed the poor and saved Marianne... but it doesn't change the fact that he's still a thief. Make sense?

Anyway, Bridges is written by a man. Like Nicholas Sparks and Eric Segal, I find male romance writers interesting. Because... it kinda gives you a little glimpse of how men processes and reacts to what women do. Female writers are different in a sense that they write men responding to women the way women want them to, not how men actually respond in reality.

Oh, talking about Eric Segal... Love Story is a great book. Okay, okay... it's a movie too.

#14 jerome1232

jerome1232

Little Penguin

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

I recommend the Mistborn Triology by Brandon Sanderson, they are fairly short books and for me at least I couldn't put it down.

#15 Windseeker

Windseeker

Find me where the sea and sky meet

• Members
  • 1152 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

If your in the mood for fantasy i'd try something from Brandon Sanderson, I'd recommend Warbreaker or the first book from the Mistborn series. He's a great writer and he's LDS.

I enjoyed the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz if you want something a little scary but has humor as well. They are easy to read with great writing and hard to put down once you start them.

If you want some PG-13 Romance/Urban Fantasy stuff I'd recommend Patricia Briggs. Moon Called (Mercy Thompson series). They have no foul language and great stories/characters.

#16 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5702 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

If you like America's pre-history Kathleen O'Neal Gear and Michael Gear's books are good. They each stand alone but I enjoyed reading them in order. They look like a long book but the writing is so well done that you get right into the story and don't notice the length at all. Very good reads. PG13

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's co-authored books are good. Scary but good. I love the Special Agent Pendergast character. Douglas Preston's books are good also. I have read Lincoln Child's also. They are good but I prefer Preston's.

The Leven Thumps series is fun to read. Obert Skye is a good author.

I also like Terry Brooks books. They sort of need to be read in order to understand some of the story line in the later books. The first on is The Sword of Shannara.

Some of Dean Koontz new ones are good. Odd Thomas and the two other's about Odd Thomas are good and I would say PG13. Dean Koontz older books are more graphic and not my type.

Wilbur Smith has some really good books. They are about the adventures of a family settling Africa and building a dynasty. He has some stand alone books also. Easy reads and very interesting.

#17 Bini

Bini

xoxo

• Members
  • 5580 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Ender's Game--by Orson Scott Card. It is going to be made into a movie, but hasn't yet.

My sister has Enders Game! I'm gonna try it!

#18 KCGrant

KCGrant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm not a reader but I'd like to try a book. I'm a big fan of comedy-romance, fantasy and some sci-fi. Since I do watch a lot of movies, I'd like to stay away from books that have been made into movies.. Also, I'm looking for something that isn't too lengthy, that is moderately paced and easy to get into. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

My latest novel is a romantic suspense novel that's set in Mexico City. A fun read with a lot of history of culture! home page for K.C. Grant, author of Abish: Daughter of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq