15 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51711 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I was just reading a post on facebook page regarding tickets for general conference. It was just asking if anyone knew how they could get tickets for a conference session. It's difficult to get them when you live in Utah. Anyway...one person posted that they purchased theirs on E-bay. Okay, I will admit that I started seeing a bit of red covering my eyes. I guess it's just upsetting me that someone would use free tickets to see conference as a way to make money. Your thoughts?

#2 Iggy

Iggy

• Members
  • 2944 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Pam I just did a search at Ebay and Amazon and there are no tickets for sale. If there had been, it is gone now. To your original question: I think it is wrong to sell the tickets. I also think it is wrong to "loan" out your temple recommend so your non-LDS neighbors can get into the Temple so they can eat cheaply in the cafeteria. It is also wrong to "loan" out your confirmation number so some one can can access to the LDS information regarding genealogy. It is also wrong to sell LDS garments over Craigs List/Ebay, etc. But it is happening, and pretty much all we can do about it is not feed into it, pray that Father can guide the perpetrators towards the light, and if we have stewardship over it - report the misdeeds to the proper place/person to remove it.

:angel: :coocoo: :scribe:

“To do well you must do good, and to do good you must first be good."

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Stephen R. Covey

#3 estradling75

estradling75

The Grumpy Moderator

• Administrators
  • 4240 posts
  • LocationOut of my Mind

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

It is pretty annoying. My Bishop is trying to find enough tickets for when he takes the youth in our ward up to conference.

Edited by estradling75, 25 March 2012 - 05:16 PM.

I had a life once... now I have a computer and a modem.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply. Stephen R Covey

#4 Jennarator

Jennarator

• Members
  • 1877 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

I think selling them is wrong. The ministry of the church is not paid. The organization is non profit and we are to watch out for eachother. Selling conference tickets seems selfish. But thats me....who knows why they were sold, I don't. We wanted to go, but you have to be 8 and we just had a baby. :( Otherwise we'd be there.

#5 lizzy16

lizzy16

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'm not saying its right...but I mean. If you sold them then other people would be able to go..while they might not have had the change/oppirtunity to get tickets at all before. Here at BYU-Idaho you can list requests/wants/sell things on a bulletin board online. It's only available to BYU-I students. A lot of people end up posting a section in the 'wanting' part and saying hilarious things...haha. Like "I'll make you and someone dinner for 2 conference tickets!" "I'll bring you warm cookies for 2 weeks!" :) I have a friend who lives in Hawaii and there stake always gets conference tickets but no one goes since it so far away. Same with my ward in NY. So I've asked my dad to ask for them for me in the fall time. And, my Hawaiian friend will ask his SP for theres. I went to conference last fall with some friends. Great memories :)

#6 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51711 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm not saying its right...but I mean. If you sold them then other people would be able to go..while they might not have had the change/oppirtunity to get tickets at all before.

There are plenty of people looking for tickets without having to sell them.

#7 Saldrin

Saldrin

• Members
  • 550 posts
  • LocationUtah!

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I was just reading a post on facebook page regarding tickets for general conference. It was just asking if anyone knew how they could get tickets for a conference session. It's difficult to get them when you live in Utah.

Anyway...one person posted that they purchased theirs on E-bay. Okay, I will admit that I started seeing a bit of red covering my eyes. I guess it's just upsetting me that someone would use free tickets to see conference as a way to make money.

Your thoughts?

Quick answer, it sucks.

#8 marshac

marshac

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

My only complaint with ticketing for church events is that it's done so far in advance- so you have to know about the event, and plan to go to it months before the event happens... for folks outside of Utah that can't plan trips months in advance, this process makes it nearly impossible to attend anything. So while paid ticketing isn't the answer, perhaps they could release blocks of tickets in diminishing quantities in the months/weeks leading up to the event. As for the paid tickets- were they super cheap? Perhaps they were just using eBay as a way to find someone who wanted them?
Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. On le sent en mille choses. C'est le cœur qui sent Dieu, et non la raison. Voilà ce que c'est que la foi parfaite, Dieu sensible au cœur.

#9 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51711 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

You could advertise on Craigs List and offer them for free. It's so hard to get tickets here in Utah. Wards get such a limited amount and they are gone so quickly. I have tried so many times and can never get them.

#10 marshac

marshac

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

You could advertise on Craigs List and offer them for free. It's so hard to get tickets here in Utah. Wards get such a limited amount and they are gone so quickly. I have tried so many times and can never get them.

Craigslist is fine for local listings, but since it's fairly city-centric, it's not so great at hitting a wide audience.... so even if they did list them on CL, there's a high probability that you would never know about them since they would be in a different city.
Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connaît point. On le sent en mille choses. C'est le cœur qui sent Dieu, et non la raison. Voilà ce que c'est que la foi parfaite, Dieu sensible au cœur.

#11 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 51711 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm just saying there are other ways to get rid of them without having to sell them for a profit on E-bay. Oh and btw, the guy said he paid $25 a piece for them.

Edited by pam, 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#12 marshac

marshac

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

lol, ok, so he was scalping GC tix, not simply trying to get rid of them- that's low.

#13 lizzy16

lizzy16

• Inactive 1+ year
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

I'm just saying there are other ways to get rid of them without having to sell them for a profit on E-bay.

Oh and btw, the guy said he paid $25 a piece for them.

Well..he could have started the bid at $0.01 and then bider's kept uping it?

#14 lds2

lds2

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

My ward got tickets for the Young Women's conference and since my daughter and I were some of the last to ask for them we didn't get them. Then that day I heard mother's saying about how much of a hastle it was to go and that they weren't going to take their daughter that evening. Unfortunately, it was too late for my daughter and I to go...AAARRRRRRrrrrrggggghhhh... Before my son's mission we went and stayed in line hoping to get in and there were only 4 people in front of us when they closed the doors. I had really hoped that he would have the opportunity to see a living prophet before he went...but we too live in Utah so don't get much opportunity. One of my best friends will go this year but it is because her husband was just put into the bishopric. Tickets seldom trickle down to the regular members where it isn't an expensive trip in time or money for the membership to get there.

Edited by lds2, 26 March 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#15 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 8964 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

My ward got tickets for the Young Women's conference and since my daughter and I were some of the last to ask for them we didn't get them. Then that day I heard mother's saying about how much of a hastle it was to go and that they weren't going to take their daughter that evening. Unfortunately, it was too late for my daughter and I to go...AAARRRRRRrrrrrggggghhhh...

Before my son's mission we went and stayed in line hoping to get in and there were only 4 people in front of us when they closed the doors. I had really hoped that he would have the opportunity to see a living prophet before he went...but we too live in Utah so don't get much opportunity. One of my best friends will go this year but it is because her husband was just put into the bishopric. Tickets seldom trickle down to the regular members where it isn't an expensive trip in time or money for the membership to get there.

All the tickets for conference are given out. There is a priority established for the tickets. The priority is:

First to Stake presidency, high councilors, bishoprics (and wives) that live outside SLC area. The greater the distance the higher the priority.

Second to Temple recommend holders that live outside of SLC area. Again the greater the distance the higher the priority.

Third to dignitaries (in governments, media and other religions).

Forth to selected stakes where members are likely to attend. These tickets are passed through stake-presidents and bishops.

In addition the day of conference any no shows will be replaced during the last minutes from a number of interested parties waiting - the length of the wait given the highest priority. Though I suspect other factors may play - for example someone that is not properly clad or ill behaved or such may be deselected.

I am not sure which shows the greater lack of discretion, poor judgement and outright - dare I say stupidity? The person that sells their tickets thinking to gain a lucrative advantage or the fool that has purchased them.

The Traveler

#16 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

lol, ok, so he was scalping GC tix, not simply trying to get rid of them- that's low.

Nice to see you again, marshac. Avatar-wise, I mean.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq