• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 9013 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

I think you missed the message of the story. It's FAR from a celebration of killing. Hunger Games is just the first part of a larger story. The main point of the whole story is political and social corruption and showing that one small spark of hope can set the world a fire.

I did miss the message - now that I know - it makes the abuse of children and the violance so much more fun, exciting and entertaining. Thanks for helping me with that.

BTW - Joseph Goebbels, considered the world's leading expert in brain washing techniques stated that entertainment is the most successful method of brainwashing - that what people find as entertaining - they will eventually tolerate, then embrace.

The Traveler

#42 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12278 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Okay, because of pressure from my wife and kids I went to see the movie. I was not pleased at all and unlike so many others I cannot say I enjoyed it. I was most disturbed and upset by the willingness of characters to kill. The bad guys are portrayed as those that enjoyed killing everybody and the good guys as the reluctant killers. But – I think what disturbed me the most was that the characters are all minors – in essence children.

For some time I have found myself at odds with the popular notion in entertainment that the only real difference between good guys and bad guys is that the good guys hunt down and murder only the bad guys that deserve it. Bad guys just kill anybody. The problem is that I have never met anyone that had caused another harm did not believe that the “others” deserved it – for one reason or another.

The final thing that disturbs me about this movie – is that so many (otherwise righteous?) enjoy being entertained by children killing each other – for me the only intelligent character in the movie was the one person that wanted to not watch the “Hunger Games”. But then even he was tempted beyond his ability to resist (another not so good message too easily swallowed).

The Traveler

The entire reason for the PG-13 rating was the very idea of adolescents fighting to the death. It is obscene. Yet, it is plausible. We can imagine such a world. This tells me that the root of the very evil you speak of is entrenched within us.

I admit to enjoying this movie for its social, political, and science fiction elements. The violence was not endorsed, was not gratuituous, nor was it even the main element. It was, in fact, an after thought. President Snow (a character) asked his game maker why they even have these games. After all, they could intimidate the districts by simply killing the tributes each year. Hope, he says, is powerful--just a little though--not too much.

To me the Hunger Games was a condemnation of postmodernism and the emptiness it offers. I doubt Suzanne Collins (the author) intended this message, but that's my takeaway.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

#43 Traveler

Traveler

• Members
  • 9013 posts
  • LocationSandy Utah

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

The entire reason for the PG-13 rating was the very idea of adolescents fighting to the death. It is obscene. Yet, it is plausible. We can imagine such a world. This tells me that the root of the very evil you speak of is entrenched within us.

I admit to enjoying this movie for its social, political, and science fiction elements. The violence was not endorsed, was not gratuituous, nor was it even the main element. It was, in fact, an after thought. President Snow (a character) asked his game maker why they even have these games. After all, they could intimidate the districts by simply killing the tributes each year. Hope, he says, is powerful--just a little though--not too much.

To me the Hunger Games was a condemnation of postmodernism and the emptiness it offers. I doubt Suzanne Collins (the author) intended this message, but that's my takeaway.

Just wondering - what is worse enjoying a movie with explicit violence or sex. Anciently in Israel the Israelites were condemned for indulging in the “entertaining” part of the religion of Baal. Most Christians agree that the religion of Baal was evil thought few know anything about it – the epoch of Baal is rather interesting and the main message really is not that different from Hunger games.

The Traveler

#44 prisonchaplain

prisonchaplain

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 12278 posts
  • LocationFederal Way, WA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Just wondering - what is worse enjoying a movie with explicit violence or sex. Anciently in Israel the Israelites were condemned for indulging in the “entertaining” part of the religion of Baal. Most Christians agree that the religion of Baal was evil thought few know anything about it – the epoch of Baal is rather interesting and the main message really is not that different from Hunger games.

The Traveler

In most cases I would say that sexual entertainment is worse, because most of us will struggle with on-going tempting thoughts weeks and months after the initial viewing. Most violent movies are so over-the-top ridiculous that we have no on-going thoughts of blowing up the bad guys or dishing out some five-knuckle justice. So, from the perspective of avoiding lust (whether for violence or sex) I'd suggest that sexually provocative entertainment is worse.

There are some cases where these may be flipped. Additionally, I could understand how those who have engaged in combat might find violence entertainment particularly offensive.

If violence is used to tell a story that is real and has depth and thoughtfulness to it, I am admittedly permissive. If the story is a mere excuse for the violence, then I am more inclined to urge caution.

Some here even thought the Passion of the Christ was violence entertainment. I found it a shocking and realistic meditation on Christ's suffering.

With the Hunger Games, the actual violence was not so great. What is difficult is the very idea of kids fighting to the death. That idea is either provocative for its potential to actually happen, or it is outside the realm of decent thought. I found the danger of too possible to ignore.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." -- Lord Acton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq