Shopping at Beehive Clothing/Distribution Center

I went in to buy some garments this week and like usual, the old ladies working there were really grumpy. I talked to my sister-in-law, and she agreed that anywhere she's been to buy them, it's grumpy old ladies working at the counter.

Is it a calling, or a paid position? DH and I were wondering, if it is a calling, if they place the ladies there who aren't nice enough to work in the temple. :)

I prefer to order online, but the sizing isn't always easy to figure out, especially for the new Carinessa II things. That's why I decided to drive in for help this time, and she acted like I was asking for the moon. :rolleyes:

I went in to buy some garments this week and like usual, the old ladies working there were really grumpy. I talked to my sister-in-law, and she agreed that anywhere she's been to buy them, it's grumpy old ladies working at the counter.

Is it a calling, or a paid position? DH and I were wondering, if it is a calling, if they place the ladies there who aren't nice enough to work in the temple. :)

I prefer to order online, but the sizing isn't always easy to figure out, especially for the new Carinessa II things. That's why I decided to drive in for help this time, and she acted like I was asking for the moon. :rolleyes:

At Desseret Book store in Portland, the garment store is right next door. and I have been fearful of going in there. Now what you say confirms what my spirit has been telling me. I would not like to be put to the test by them.

By the way, with summer coming on and my no longer being Muslim, I was thinking of replacing my long sleeved under shirts with shorter sleeve ones, and have thought about buying garments instead of going to JC Penny. Now days, the under tops are often so skimpy that I would feel like a trollop. So is it permissible to buy garments if you do not have temple priveleges? I would think they would like the revenue.

At Desseret Book store in Portland, the garment store is right next door. and I have been fearful of going in there. Now what you say confirms what my spirit has been telling me. I would not like to be put to the test by them.

By the way, with summer coming on and my no longer being Muslim, I was thinking of replacing my long sleeved under shirts with shorter sleeve ones, and have thought about buying garments instead of going to JC Penny. Now days, the under tops are often so skimpy that I would feel like a trollop. So is it permissible to buy garments if you do not have temple priveleges? I would think they would like the revenue.

The Portland one is where I get all my garments, and the majority of the time I've been in there it's been staffed by women who seem to be more in their 30's or 40's; occasionally older, but not usually. And they've always been super sweet. :) I don't know if they're just Deseret Book employees who put in part of their hours in the Distribution area, or if they're their own separate staff, but it's always been a pleasant experience for me. :)

Only endowed members should wear garments.

Edited by john doe
fixed quote function

By the way, with summer coming on and my no longer being Muslim, I was thinking of replacing my long sleeved under shirts with shorter sleeve ones, and have thought about buying garments instead of going to JC Penny. Now days, the under tops are often so skimpy that I would feel like a trollop. So is it permissible to buy garments if you do not have temple priveleges? I would think they would like the revenue./QUOTE]

Only endowed members should wear garments.

So, is that a rule or something? Do they check your MRN?

In some cases the clerks at the Distribution Centers are on service mission. In others it is a job for someone unemployable elsewhere. Sometimes it is a volunteer.

Grumpy shouldn't be tolerated. Call as ask to speak to a supervisor. You can make them aware of the situation in a nice, concerned way. Maybe the person doesn't know she's coming across as grumpy?

Anyway...chances are the supervisor knows exactly who you'll be calling about before you call. :( It was that way at the temple where I volunteered. The employees in the clothing department sometimes had an attitude...well, some of the volunteers did too. Most of the time they didn't realize that was how they were coming across until someone pointed it out.

I have a personal example. I have chronic pain and was grocery shopping. The nice young man helping me out with the groceries was an angel. I thought everything was great. I was in pain. There was a cold wind blowing which was not helping me in any way. We got the bags in the back of my car and I said thank you and he said I'm sorry. I was taken back and asked why he was sorry. He said I thought you were angry with me. I felt so bad. I didn't mean to seem angry but sometimes when the pain is bad I guess I appear angry. I try really hard to not come across that way now that I realize the outward appearance of pain can appear grumpy, dissatisfied, angry. I explained and told him he did a great job and I really appreciated his help. He accepted my apology and while he worked there he always helped me out.

Hidden

No. You need a temple recommend to purchase garments. Also, only endowed members should wear them.

At Deseret Book store in Portland, the garment store is right next door. and I have been fearful of going in there. Now what you say confirms what my spirit has been telling me. I would not like to be put to the test by them.

BBy the way, with summer coming on and my no longer being Muslim, I was thinking of replacing my long sleeved under shirts with shorter sleeve ones, and have thought about buying garments instead of going to JC Penny. Now days, the under tops are often so skimpy that I would feel like a trollop.A= So is it permissible to buy garments if you do not have temple priveleges?C= I would think they would like the revenue.

A=Hala, only endowed members can purchase and wear the garments.

B= If you are used to wearing under garments that are long sleeved and go to your ankles, then you may get chilled when you receive your endowment and start wearing garments. They have little cap sleeves and the bottoms end above the knee. IF you are not warm enough in them, you can certainly wear your 'long johns' over them, as well as your bra.

C=The church is not concerned about revenue from the sale of garments. President Hinckley lowered the price of them a few years before he passed. Just as he started the 50% off the cost of the Temple whites (dress, slippers, veil, etc.) for first time buyers. The garments do cost more than some civilian knickers- but they last for years- I am still wearing garments I purchased 8 years ago- they are in excellent condition too. I wear DriSilque and love it. Have lived in Oregon (Central Oregon Coast) and in Arizona (half way between Phoenix and Tucson) and this fabric is warm enough in the winter and cool enough in the summer. It also cleans up easily and drys in 10 minutes or less! The only stain that doesn't come out easily is red drinks. I spilled fruit punch G2 all down my front- by the time I got my clothes off, it had soaked through to my garments. The only place where the stain is, is on the elastic of the bottoms, and one tiny spot on the lace at the neck. I rinsed them in cold water in the bathroom- it took many regular wearings and washing's to fade the stain out- but after 3 years, those little dots of stain are still there. Wish that was true for the blouse and slacks I was wearing.

A=Hala, only endowed members can purchase and wear the garments.

B= If you are used to wearing under garments that are long sleeved and go to your ankles, then you may get chilled when you receive your endowment and start wearing garments. They have little cap sleeves and the bottoms end above the knee. IF you are not warm enough in them, you can certainly wear your 'long johns' over them, as well as your bra.

C=The church is not concerned about revenue from the sale of garments. President Hinckley lowered the price of them a few years before he passed. Just as he started the 50% off the cost of the Temple whites (dress, slippers, veil, etc.) for first time buyers. The garments do cost more than some civilian knickers- but they last for years- I am still wearing garments I purchased 8 years ago- they are in excellent condition too. I wear DriSilque and love it. Have lived in Oregon (Central Oregon Coast) and in Arizona (half way between Phoenix and Tucson) and this fabric is warm enough in the winter and cool enough in the summer. It also cleans up easily and drys in 10 minutes or less! The only stain that doesn't come out easily is red drinks. I spilled fruit punch G2 all down my front- by the time I got my clothes off, it had soaked through to my garments. The only place where the stain is, is on the elastic of the bottoms, and one tiny spot on the lace at the neck. I rinsed them in cold water in the bathroom- it took many regular wearings and washing's to fade the stain out- but after 3 years, those little dots of stain are still there. Wish that was true for the blouse and slacks I was wearing.

Soak in hot water with Oxyclean. I've found it takes just about anything my husband gets into. If not, I just add a little dawn dish soap with the Oxyclean.

So is it permissible to buy garments if you do not have temple priveleges? I would think they would like the revenue.

You have to have a temple recommend to purchase garments.

**edit....Oops I just noticed Iggy already said that. I guess I should actually read everything before answering instead of just skimming. :)

actually you do not have to have a recommend. you have to have been to the temple.

Thank you I stand corrected. I knew that. I think I was thinking of first time goers since Hala hasn't been before.

Soak in hot water with Oxyclean. I've found it takes just about anything my husband gets into. If not, I just add a little dawn dish soap with the Oxyclean.

It's been three years- I use oxiclean, powdered all fabric bleach AND detergent together each time I launder garments. Also put the garments through three rinse cycles- I am so super sensitive to soaps that if I forget and only do one/two rinse cycle(s), I get blister rashes where the elastic hits my skin and where my bra holds the fabric tight to my skin.

Husband only wears cotton jersey- and no matter how hot the water, how much oxiclean and all fabric powdered bleach I use, stains just do not come out. I have even bought Rit fabric whitener and used 3 boxes to a load using 190 degree hot water! Hubby washed all but one pair of his garments in a load and added liquid bleach, used cold water wash & rinse and I do believe they are now off white for the rest of time! No way am I buying new, these off white garments are still in good condition. When we bought this last bunch, I set aside a pair each for us to wear to the Temple. Once I launder them, I put them back into our Temple garment bag- so we always have nice, nearly new, still snow white garmmies to wear.

It's been three years- I use oxiclean, powdered all fabric bleach AND detergent together each time I launder garments. Also put the garments through three rinse cycles- I am so super sensitive to soaps that if I forget and only do one/two rinse cycle(s), I get blister rashes where the elastic hits my skin and where my bra holds the fabric tight to my skin.

Husband only wears cotton jersey- and no matter how hot the water, how much oxiclean and all fabric powdered bleach I use, stains just do not come out. I have even bought Rit fabric whitener and used 3 boxes to a load using 190 degree hot water! Hubby washed all but one pair of his garments in a load and added liquid bleach, used cold water wash & rinse and I do believe they are now off white for the rest of time! No way am I buying new, these off white garments are still in good condition. When we bought this last bunch, I set aside a pair each for us to wear to the Temple. Once I launder them, I put them back into our Temple garment bag- so we always have nice, nearly new, still snow white garmmies to wear.

I'm sorry it hasn't come out. I don't usually put Oxyclean in with the detergent. I use it to soak in the sink. I have been amazed at what it will get out when used as a soak. I've used the Rit fabric whitener also. But again, not in the washer.... I used the sink or one of my big metal mixing bowls.

I did find it harder to get stains out of the cotton jersey. Now hubby wears the mesh.

actually you do not have to have a recommend. you have to have been to the temple.

Sometimes they can look you up in the system if you don't have your recommend with you. Some outlets do insist on seeing the recommend. Regardless, a person has to have been endowed.

Thank you I stand corrected. I knew that. I think I was thinking of first time goers since Hala hasn't been before.

Actually I have been bapised for the dead there, and regularly take non Mormon visitors to the atrium to try to dispel some of their ignorant hostility toward my Church.

I'm just gonna let the garment deal die.

Actually I have been bapised for the dead there, and regularly take non Mormon visitors to the atrium to try to dispel some of their ignorant hostility toward my Church.

I'm just gonna let the garment deal die.

Baptism for the dead is an awesome experience. I think its great you've been. :)