Chick-fil-a

NeuroTypical

I've been voicing my support for Chick-fil-a for years actually.

* Their food is good, and they offer fruit cups instead of fries.

* Their kid meal toys are not assaults on my children's intellect or morals.

* They threw a daddy-daughter date event a few weeks ago, complete with roses, live music, and horse-drawn carriage rides.

* Their attempts to 'nice me to death' with pleasant and friendly customer service, do not seemed forced or ingenuine at all.

* During the Waldo Canyon fire, even though I was plugged in to all the official news sources, the first I heard of the evacuation lifting, was via a text message from the impacted Chick-fil-a.

I honestly don't care what their president thinks about marriage issues. They've earned my support over the years, and they have it.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a nice lunch there last wednesday and plan on being there this wednesday.

Good food, nice place.

Young lady was taking a survey, and I said, I was there to show agreement for the

stand they took. Speaking out for principles, upholding the traditional family.

LM, just curious. Would you still be a customer if the president of Chik-fil-a had the opposite opinion?

I've never been but unless they have vegetarian dishes, I'll never go there. Oh wait, they have fruit cups!

I love Chic-Fil-A. Very tasty, and I also feel I'm supporting my starving students brother and sister-in-law who are both employed there.

I have very little against people and companies who support same-sex marriage, so I'm sure I'd still eat there even if they had the opposte stance. To be perfectly honest, a company that makes a good product has to a heck of a lot in matters not dealing with their product in order for me to to stake a stance against them.

I find this whole thing interesting. The protestors are upset that the company is "discriminating" people and so they discriminate against the company by refusing them to provide jobs and money to a recessive economy.

As far as I know, ChikFilA doesn't refuse to provide food/service to anyone based on any race, religion, sexual orientation, lifestyle choices. So, how exactly are they discriminating?

LM, just curious. Would you still be a customer if the president of Chik-fil-a had the opposite opinion?

Oh, absolutely. I'm also a huge Muppets fan, and will continue seeing their hillarious movies and whatnot, dispite what Jim Henson's boy thinks about Chick-Fil-A. I've already tested myself for hypocracy here, really not finding any.

I don't want to hijack but is there ever a case where one should boycott because they do not support a certain stance?

I don't know about "should", but I figure anyone has the right to boycott whatever he wants for whatever reason.

Trouble starts when you want other people to support your personal boycott.

I don't know about "should", but I figure anyone has the right to boycott whatever he wants for whatever reason.

Trouble starts when you want other people to support your personal boycott.

Maybe I should rephrase. Is there ever a time when one boycotting is necessary to push for change?

The boycott makes no sense in any case because ultimately it's the personal opinion of the CEO, not a view espoused, or necessarily represented by, the company itself.

What will be the result if the boycotters get their way? A lot of unemployed people. Way to make the world a better place...

The boycott makes no sense in any case because ultimately it's the personal opinion of the CEO, not a view espoused, or necessarily represented by, the company itself.

What will be the result if the boycotters get their way? A lot of unemployed people. Way to make the world a better place...

You are solely referring to Chick-fil-a?

By the way, I'm not arguing Chick-fil-a's stance, in addition, I realise that the opinion stated is reflective of the company president and not the company itself. Still, has boycotting ever been beneficial? Can boycotting be a necessary means to push for change? Is there ever a valid reason to boycott?

Maybe I should rephrase. Is there ever a time when one boycotting is necessary to push for change?

This makes me think about the numerous emails I get during the year for the one day designated to boycott certain oil companies and not purchase gas. I mean seriously? Do people really think this does anything? When I managed a gas station/convenience store and these came out, yes we saw a minor decline in the sale of gas on that day. But we had a large influx in sales the day before and the day after.

*edit. Oh and this doesn't hurt the big oil companies. It hurts the small business owners if it hurts anyone at all.

Edited by pam

By the way, I'm not arguing Chick-fil-a's stance

Chick-Fil-A's stance, released on the 26th:

The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect – regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender. We will continue this tradition in the over 1,600 Restaurants run by independent Owner/Operators. Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena.

Chick-fil-A is a family-owned and family-led company serving the communities in which it operates. From the day Truett Cathy started the company, he began applying biblically-based principles to managing his business. For example, we believe that closing on Sundays, operating debt-free and devoting a percentage of our profits back to our communities are what make us a stronger company and Chick-fil-A family.

Our mission is simple: to serve great food, provide genuine hospitality and have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A.

Chick-Fil-A's stance, released on the 26th:

This reminds me of another business that has pretty much the same thing:

Statement of Purpose

In order to effectively serve our owners, employees, and customers the Board of Directors is committed to:

Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with Biblical principles.

Offering our customers an exceptional selection and value.

Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals, and nurture families.

Providing a return on the owners' investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.

We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, we trust Him for our future.

What store is this you ask? Hobby Lobby

* Their food is good

Ugh, I beg to differ. I have sworn off Chick-Fil-A, because I've had nasty grisly chicken each of the last three times I've been there. No more. My four-year-old won't even eat their food.

* They threw a daddy-daughter date event a few weeks ago, complete with roses, live music, and horse-drawn carriage rides.

A friend of mine went to a similar-sounding mother-and-son event a couple weeks ago at our local Chick-Fil-A.

Ugh, I beg to differ. I have sworn off Chick-Fil-A, because I've had nasty grisly chicken each of the last three times I've been there. No more. My four-year-old won't even eat their food.

All a matter of tastes of course. I've really enjoyed their food the few times I've been to one.

Edited by pam

I thought that article in Business Week is weak. The gist of it is (from my understanding) that when you own a business, you must do what it takes to not offend and make money. That's why Marriott didn't support Prop 8--he knew he would alienate customers and lose money.

Although there is some truth to that, at what point do you not make a stand for anything? Why is it bad to come out and say that my PERSONAL opinion is X? I'm baffled at how the president's personal opinion somehow now dictates that the chain itself is being discrimatory?

I suppose you can take that further. ChikFila is alienating doctors, nurses, cops, firemen, etc. for working on a Sunday and not providing them food on Sundays.

I haven't done enough research to ever know if a boycott has ever done significant change.

But the theory works. In my mind, you have enough people of common morality working together enough that the business at end decides it would be wise to honor the people's request in order to keep the business.

But this would only work if you had enough people to actually threaten the business by not purchasing the product.

You are solely referring to Chick-fil-a?

Yes, in this case.

By the way, I'm not arguing Chick-fil-a's stance, in addition, I realise that the opinion stated is reflective of the company president and not the company itself. Still, has boycotting ever been beneficial? Can boycotting be a necessary means to push for change? Is there ever a valid reason to boycott?

Oh I didn't mean my post to be a direct response to your question, although I'd like to take a stab at it here.

If it's a way to put pressure on a company to change its policy, I think boycotting is a useful and proper tool. Suppose a clothing store were using child labor overseas, or a restaurant chain were practicing racial discrimination in its hiring process... Those would be reasons to boycott that are justified in my opinion.