Scrubbing Bubbles!

Bini

Just got done cleaning the porcelain throne! It is seriously my least favourite house cleaning chore. After cleaning up, I sat down in the living room where the TV is running, and caught the Scrubbing Bubbles toilet cleaner commercial. Does this product work? It's the one where you place a gel tablet inside your toilet bowl, and it helps prevent hard water buildup and soil stains. Right now, I use these Clorox bleach tablets that I toss into the tank and every time you flush, you get this wonderful bleachy smell. I really like the smell of bleach.. But my husband thinks those blue Clorox tablets mess up the toilet.. Anyway, maybe the Scrubbing Bubbles is a better aide to toilet maintenance? Anyone use it? :D

Just got done cleaning the porcelain throne! It is seriously my least favourite house cleaning chore. After cleaning up, I sat down in the living room where the TV is running, and caught the Scrubbing Bubbles toilet cleaner commercial. Does this product work? It's the one where you place a gel tablet inside your toilet bowl, and it helps prevent hard water buildup and soil stains. Right now, I use these Clorox bleach tablets that I toss into the tank and every time you flush, you get this wonderful bleachy smell. I really like the smell of bleach.. But my husband thinks those blue Clorox tablets mess up the toilet.. Anyway, maybe the Scrubbing Bubbles is a better aide to toilet maintenance? Anyone use it? :D

I used the Clorox tablets for years while I was working. They made cleaning so much faster in the bathroom. But yes over time they do cause some damage to the rubber flange and the toilet may start to leak. Hubby had to replace one I think in all the years I used them. I quit buying them when I quit working because of the expense and I had more time. But I'm going back to them because I have a little guy who just can't seem to hit the water.

For the outside I spray with a Lysol cleaning or other product like 409 and wipe down. But again... sigh.... this little guy needs to learn to aim better. If I don't clean the toilets (all three) every day I have a problem the next day. He gets distracted. He thinks he knows how to pee so if the slightest thing distracts him he turns and .... you get the picture. then there are the times when he likes to play "fire hose" :eek:

I am the one who has had to repair and replace in my homes. Hubby #1 could have cared less and Hubby #2 was never given an opportunity to do it as wife #1 always hired it out.

ANY additive to the water in the back of the toilet is going to degrade the workings there. The flapper needs to be replaced every year- no matter what. It is an easy and cheap fix. Turn the water off at the valve, put on rubber gloves (often the flapper will leave black stains on your hands), remove the flapper and go to your hardware store and replace with the EXACT same style flapper. Replace flapper, turn on water.

In Oregon, I only had to clean the inside of the toilet every other week. Cold water, 68-74 degree inside of house = slower bacteria growth. When I lived on the 5 acres, and got water from a well that was pumped up to a holding tank, I had to clean it every few days- little critters ended up living in the tank.

In Arizona I had to clean the toilet every day. The water never got below 90 degrees, the house seldom was cooler than 80 degrees and the exterior walls of the bathroom faced the west, so the setting sun baked it. Mold grew overnight. I got Clorox Toilet Wand Clorox Toilet Wand Toilet Cleaning System, Clorox Toilet Wand Starter Kit, Toilet Bowl Disinfectant, Bathroom Bowl Cleaner and either Lysol or Clorox disinfecting wipes clorox disinfecting wipes - Walmart.com to finish off the cleaning, starting at the top of the outside of the tank, wiping down the entire outside of the toilet first, then the seat, under the seat and then the rim of the porcelin. I tossed the soiled wipe into the little plastic trash bin so it would dry out, along with cotton balls, wipes and other burnable NON-flushable items. These I burned outside in the barrel once a week.

Since I am back in Oregon, I clean both bathrooms once a week. I wipe the toilets down every few days. There are more germs & dirt on the outside of the fixture than what can grow on the inside- and as I have gotten older I am less resistant to germs. Even though it is my and hubby's germs, I still have to be careful.

I buy the wipes when they are on sale. Got the three pack of 225 wipes for just a little over $5.00 at Bi-Mart. I have 12 packs total in storage right now. I use coupons for the wand refills, since they seldom go on sale.

Anna, get a pair of rubber gloves that fit the grandson, and have him clean the toilet, and the floor around the toilet. Also, Dad whittled off small pieces of Ivory soap and had little brother pee on them as they were floating in the water. Little brother did this for his three sons too. That and having to clean up after his misses, cured them.

Having a child clean up his own pee (or vomit, for that matter) is an excellent way to break the child of the habit of spewing his bodily fluids all over.

And a single Cheerios O is much more convenient for "target practice" than carving off a piece of Ivory soap.

Having a child clean up his own pee (or vomit, for that matter) is an excellent way to break the child of the habit of spewing his bodily fluids all over.

And a single Cheerios O is much more convenient for "target practice" than carving off a piece of Ivory soap.

One can also get a plastic decal to stick in the bowl as one sometimes sees in urinals.

Edited by Dravin

Tried the target! LOL

We're working on it and he's coming around. In the meantime, this grandma is tired! LOL

It seems like Tim the Tool Man Taylor built a stainless steel bathroom that sealed itself shut and self-cleaned and sanitized. Maybe it was a kitchen. Either way. . . I'll take one of each.

It seems like Tim the Tool Man Taylor built a stainless steel bathroom that sealed itself shut and self-cleaned and sanitized. Maybe it was a kitchen. Either way. . . I'll take one of each.

My Mother always wanted a Stainless Steel home. Living room, dining room, kitchen and bathrooms, with power hoses & central drains in each room.

The neighborhood thought we were rich because we had 1 1/2 bathrooms! So did we, with 12 people in the family we also needed a 1/2 bath out in the back yard.

She settled instead for linoleum flooring throughout the entire house.

When I was in London we ran across these self-cleaning restroom units that were located outside. You pay to use them, and then you're on the clock. You get 15 minutes to do your business. Seems like plenty of time, right? Well I was 6.5 months pregnant and it took me forever to line the toilet, get comfortable, etc etc - and 15 minutes came by fast! It has this robotic voice that warns you that time is running out, and then proceeds to countdown! Once countdown is complete, the door will become unlocked and the outside sign will read: VACANT. I remember panicking like crazy! Only had to use this kind of restroom once - phew - but what an experience. After each use, it locks itself and cleans itself for X amount of minutes.

When I was in London we ran across these self-cleaning restroom units that were located outside. You pay to use them, and then you're on the clock. You get 15 minutes to do your business. Seems like plenty of time, right? Well I was 6.5 months pregnant and it took me forever to line the toilet, get comfortable, etc etc - and 15 minutes came by fast! It has this robotic voice that warns you that time is running out, and then proceeds to countdown! Once countdown is complete, the door will become unlocked and the outside sign will read: VACANT. I remember panicking like crazy! Only had to use this kind of restroom once - phew - but what an experience. After each use, it locks itself and cleans itself for X amount of minutes.

What happens if you're still in there when it locks and starts the self cleaning? Is the person considered a foreign body?:lol:

We - well DH - has had to replace that part which you're all referring to. He's done it several times already. I'm thinking once I finish off the last couple tablets, I'll use the Scrubbing Bubbles gel tabs. I'm shopping today and it's already on my list!

I used the Clorox tablets for years while I was working. They made cleaning so much faster in the bathroom. But yes over time they do cause some damage to the rubber flange and the toilet may start to leak. Hubby had to replace one I think in all the years I used them. I quit buying them when I quit working because of the expense and I had more time. But I'm going back to them because I have a little guy who just can't seem to hit the water.

For the outside I spray with a Lysol cleaning or other product like 409 and wipe down. But again... sigh.... this little guy needs to learn to aim better. If I don't clean the toilets (all three) every day I have a problem the next day. He gets distracted. He thinks he knows how to pee so if the slightest thing distracts him he turns and .... you get the picture. then there are the times when he likes to play "fire hose" :eek:

I have a solution for this. Everybody, regardless of gender, gets to sit down to pee.

Unfortunately, I'm outnumbered in my house. So, not only do they ignore the sit-down rule, they ignore the close the lid rule as well. :(

And yes, growing up close to the sandy beach, my brothers have become experts at writing their names on the sand using their "fire hose".

Anatess, I enforce a very strict "close the lid" rule. I even TELL (I don't ask :) ) guests to ensure that the toilet lid is closed after use and before flushing. It's an OCD thing for me. My husband is good about it. My BIL is not, meh. It's just gross that people leave the lid up to flush.. Especially when you got hand towels or other things displayed in the bathroom that get used - yuck - the "mist" gets it all. Watch Myth Busters for this one, everyone :) You'll make sure the toilet lid is closed after wards, he he.

Anatess, I enforce a very strict "close the lid" rule. I even TELL (I don't ask :) ) guests to ensure that the toilet lid is closed after use and before flushing. It's an OCD thing for me. My husband is good about it. My BIL is not, meh. It's just gross that people leave the lid up to flush.. Especially when you got hand towels or other things displayed in the bathroom that get used - yuck - the "mist" gets it all. Watch Myth Busters for this one, everyone :) You'll make sure the toilet lid is closed after wards, he he.

Do you know that we saw that episode of Mythbusters? Yep. No change.

I have a solution for this. Everybody, regardless of gender, gets to sit down to pee.

Unfortunately, I'm outnumbered in my house. So, not only do they ignore the sit-down rule, they ignore the close the lid rule as well. :(

And yes, growing up close to the sandy beach, my brothers have become experts at writing their names on the sand using their "fire hose".

Well that just makes me want to put my toes in the sand.

Closed lid is not optional here. It's the 2nd safeguard (behind closing doors) against 2 toddlers going fishing.

Do you know that we saw that episode of Mythbusters? Yep. No change.

* Facepalm *

You should get a black light and flash it on your DH's and kids' bath towels, and show them the.. grime.. that gets on there from leaving the toilet lid open and flushing! Hand towels work, too.. LOL

Brutal Facts:

• We live in a world of microorganisms. We are surrounded by them. We drink them, eat them, and breathe them.
  • Our digestive tract is colonized by many billions of bacteria of various species, Escherichia coli being the best-known. These bacteria are released by the many, many millions on every bowel movement.
  • The exit of our GI tract is less than a meter from the entrance.
  • If you have pets, they leave the microflora and microfauna of their respective GI tracts all over your house. Even if you vacuum.
  • The flush toilet generates a bacteria-laden mist that covers everything in the area -- counter, mirrors, bathtubs, towels, toothbrushes, people -- even if the lid is closed. To prevent this, you would have to seal off the toilet when flushing. (And remember, the flush toilet is probably the greatest hygiene improvement ever invented, and accounts for our increased lifespan as much as any other single element in our lives.)

In the end, I think you have to come to accept that, no matter how Monk-like your cleaning regimen, you will never rid yourselves of microorganisms (nor would you want to). But honestly, if you're really that icked out over such things, heaven help you if you think about sex in such terms...

Brutal Facts:

• We live in a world of microorganisms. We are surrounded by them. We drink them, eat them, and breathe them.
  • Our digestive tract is colonized by many billions of bacteria of various species, Escherichia coli being the best-known. These bacteria are released by the many, many millions on every bowel movement.
  • The exit of our GI tract is less than a meter from the entrance.
  • If you have pets, they leave the microflora and microfauna of their respective GI tracts all over your house. Even if you vacuum.
  • The flush toilet generates a bacteria-laden mist that covers everything in the area -- counter, mirrors, bathtubs, towels, toothbrushes, people -- even if the lid is closed. To prevent this, you would have to seal off the toilet when flushing. (And remember, the flush toilet is probably the greatest hygiene improvement ever invented, and accounts for our increased lifespan as much as any other single element in our lives.)

In the end, I think you have to come to accept that, no matter how Monk-like your cleaning regimen, you will never rid yourselves of microorganisms (nor would you want to). But honestly, if you're really that icked out over such things, heaven help you if you think about sex in such terms...

Nor do we really want to rid ourselves of all microogranisms. Without some these little beasties we don't digest our food appropriately. Without all our immune systems do not develop and then we leave ourselves open to all sorts of nasty diseases.

I agree that we live in a society that is overly observant to germs. I was more or less expressing my own issues when it comes to being OCD and a germaphobe. Things in my house have to be done a certain way, and for a lot of things, if I don't personally do them - it isn't done right. Of course, I've toned down a bit over the years with my husband. But for most people, yeh, I'm probably waaay over the top..

I agree that we live in a society that is overly observant to germs. I was more or less expressing my own issues when it comes to being OCD and a germaphobe. Things in my house have to be done a certain way, and for a lot of things, if I don't personally do them - it isn't done right. Of course, I've toned down a bit over the years with my husband. But for most people, yeh, I'm probably waaay over the top..

Bini, I have OCD regarding cleaning too. :o It has always driven my husband nuts. LOL But then I was raised by a nurse and was doing hospital corners on my bed at age 5. Germs ... well I learned how to deal with them but not fear them.

* Facepalm *

You should get a black light and flash it on your DH's and kids' bath towels, and show them the.. grime.. that gets on there from leaving the toilet lid open and flushing! Hand towels work, too.. LOL

LOL!!! DID THAT TOO! No kidding! It was one of those summer science experiments a few moons ago... we went through the house shining a black light. I'm telling you... my husband and kids saw the dark spots, I tell them it's germs and they say... COOL!

I have kids that let the dogs lick their face. Yes. Gross!!! I mean - these are dogs who have no problems licking their genitals. I have kids who catches all kinds of living organisms in the backyard and hide it in their shirts. Same kids who have 6 pet snakes, 2 pet turtles, 3 pet birds, and 3 pet dogs in addition to a plethora of fish... imagine that, turtles and fish swim in their own excrement, and the birds, of course just drops their poop on the bottom of the cage. The snakes are the cleanest of them all - and that's some food for thought there. They only poop about twice a month!

I mentioned it on this forum before - my house is the messiest house of all my siblings (germophobes) but it is the cleanest of all my husband's siblings so I've been ok with that. But yeah, there's something to be said about going home to the house I grew up in - you walk in the door to the smell of lavender. You walk in my house to smell... wet dog.

Edited by anatess