Ann Romney and garment question

pooter1

For example, if you were in a role that required a sleeveless top or short shorts/skirt (assuming you're a woman), or to be topless in a scene (if you're a man...maybe mowing the lawn or something). Would you refuse such a role based on costuming? I think that's how "acting" comes into play.

I understand how acting would come into play & yes there would be times garments might/would interefer. However, IMHO, if possible & appropriate the garments should be worn when acting.

And as the OP has indicated .... taking only the roles & using costumes that allow for the garments to be worn if one has that luxery.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read the entire thread yet so I apologize in advance. It would be a bit awkard for someone who is a ballerina and also a Mormon to be performing in their garments while wearing a tutu.

I would think if there were a lot of costume changes, like in a Donnie and Marie show, the garment could be seen as a hindrance and a distraction to those who are not familiar with them, and they could be treated with little respect, so i could see just removing the issue by not wearing them.

Carlimac,Believe me I can't tell you how sorry I am to have mentioned Anne Romneys name!! I never dreamed it would bother so many people.For the record I don't care if she wears garments or not. Here is how it went down.I was watching Anne Romney on a late night talk show and she had on a short dress.Yes I noticed her dress was above her knee and I had thought about garments then I thought about Marie Osmond and dancing with the stars then I thought about me and my performing. You have no idea how hurtful your comment was to me.If you had any idea about me and my self esteem and how easy I get hurt.This will stay with me today and I will worry about this all day.I just wanted to ask a question and I did it the wrong way.I am so sorry.Please please please forgive me anyone and everyone if I asked in the wrong way. I thought we were allowed to ask questions without being judged or hurt especially an LDS forum.Im surprised.Ive belonged to one ward all my life and noone has ever made me feel this way.Maybe its different in other areas with the LDS church .So glad Im not part of your Ward.This will be my last post.I truly am sorry if I upset anyone. I just re read your comment and discovered you wear garments which means you go to the temple.wow.

It is interesting to read responses in this thread. When I returned from my mission it was my first time back home having served both my mission and in the military. It was a difficult time for me because I had lost some dear and trusted friends in the Vietnam conflict. I am also sad to say that in addition I had some difficulties with some sister missionaries – some of which were of my fault and making. I felt that on my mission the elders were required (and did so) to wear white shirts and dark suits but sisters wore bright colors and seemed to love pushing the envelope when-ever they could – that elders were chastised (often by the sisters) for bright colored ties?

When I returned home (Provo, Utah) I enrolled at BYU and felt it difficult to find a young lady that would consider wearing a dress that covered her knees. I began to feel that young men making sacrifice for military service and missionary service had become much better prepared for life and upholding standards than what seemed to me to be frivolous immature females whose greatest concerns seemed to be looking popular rather than “establishing Zion”.

I have always been puzzled that many saints would push the very borders and boundaries of sacred covenants with something so trivial in life as the style of their dress. During my younger years I competed in cycling and found it impossible to compete wearing garments. I wrote a letter to the brethren requesting s “special” garment that I could wear in competition. The response was most interesting but one point that remains of high concern to me is that should a garment be created and intended for competition that many saints would lose focus on their covenant and that the garment intended for competition would become the standard of modesty.

I have learned over time that my sacred covenants, especially concerning such things as keeping the Sabbath Holy, the word of wisdom, honoring my temple covenants, tithing and other donations and fulfilling callings and performing service is vastly different than what seems to be the norm of the Church. It is interesting that on occasion I have been asked why on the Sabbath I am still in my Sunday best when the church meetings are over. My response is that I am keeping my personal Sabbath covenants and that I am then accused of a “Holier than Thou” attitude and that it is almost always by other so called “active” LDS acquaintances – whereas it seems that the less active could care less.

In closing this post – may I encourage that all that make covenants with G-d maintain a serious attitude about their own covenants and also an attitude of respect and honor for all others trying to find ways to “keep” their covenants. Whatever your personal covenant – keep that covenant religiously and with honor – and keep in mind any exception is, in essence, the heart and core of what is your actual covenant and not anyone else’s.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Carlimac,Believe me I can't tell you how sorry I am to have mentioned Anne Romneys name!! I never dreamed it would bother so many people.For the record I don't care if she wears garments or not. Here is how it went down.I was watching Anne Romney on a late night talk show and she had on a short dress.Yes I noticed her dress was above her knee and I had thought about garments then I thought about Marie Osmond and dancing with the stars then I thought about me and my performing. You have no idea how hurtful your comment was to me.If you had any idea about me and my self esteem and how easy I get hurt.This will stay with me today and I will worry about this all day.I just wanted to ask a question and I did it the wrong way.I am so sorry.Please please please forgive me anyone and everyone if I asked in the wrong way. I thought we were allowed to ask questions without being judged or hurt especially an LDS forum.Im surprised.Ive belonged to one ward all my life and noone has ever made me feel this way.Maybe its different in other areas with the LDS church .So glad Im not part of your Ward.This will be my last post.I truly am sorry if I upset anyone. I just re read your comment and discovered you wear garments which means you go to the temple.wow.

What does Carlimac's ward have to do with anything?

She made a valid point. Your question - as you clarified later - was "should" you wear garments while performing? That is a different matter than wondering if certain people are wearing garments.

I am sorry your feelings were hurt, but that is no reason to disparage Carlimac or her ward. People were simply answering what appeared to be your question about garments and providing information about what the church teackes.

So first of all a question. If your reference to Ann Romney's garments bothers "so many people", why did you single me out?

One of the risks of sharing ideas online is that we DON'T know each other. Angel, I'm sorry you took such offense to my words and that it's ruining your day. Believe me, I've been run over by the LDS forum Mac truck myself and I know how it feels. MY posts have been picked apart, I've been accused of terrible things. (Happened the first time I posted on here.) I've sworn I would never come back. But I find that the more I read and get to know the posters over time, I'm less likely to take offense. You have to build up a thick skin on this forum. We can't possibly know the inner workings of a person's mind and psyche unless we've talked to them personally, face to face and spent time with them. If I had known you were so sentsitive I might have worded my observation differently. I have to admit to have picked up a tendency toward skepticism about peoples' true motives due to listening to too much cable news lately. There are vicious, bloodthirsty sharks in that there pond! The political pundits are shamelessly brutal!

Have you asked yourself why you assumed someone wasn't wearing garments? Could you have been making an unfair, misinformed judgement? Was it really just merely a technical conclusion you jumped to or was there more to it? The implicatons of a different kind of judgement (questioning someones' worthiness) could open a can of worms... one that isn't appropriate to open on this forum ... against the rules about political candidates.

I agree that there often isn't a very good feeling on this board. I feel more contention here than I have for 10 years on multi denominational forum of mothers. We've had our spats and disagreements on the "motherboard", but bottom line is that when someone is disrespectful of another, the perpetrator of disrespect is called out by the mods. It's not tolerated. But here, there is SO much sarcasm and unkindness that goes unchecked. I'm slowly getting used to that. But at the same time, we should be able to ask valid questions and feel free to say what we think. If we dance around each other playing nicey nice all the time we won't get to the bottom of some issues. Better to just get it out.

So, I'm sorry you were hurt, but in my defense, I feel like your attack of me and my character and my temple recommend was out of bounds. Way out!

Edited by carlimac

I'm sorry to all.I shouldn't even be here and I know it. It truly was my bad and Im sorry for it. Not who I want to be at all. Please accept my apology.

All this just because you simply mentioned Ann Romney?! You've gotta be kidding! Don't let anybody put you on any guilt trip Angel. After reading your posts, I honestly don't see where you said anything wrong. O.K. so you mentioned Ann Romney as an example, big deal. I've seen other people (and even celebrities) mentioned on this board as an example as to what to follow and what not to. This even includes General Authorities. For some reason, the least little discussion of temple garments gets people all uptight and on the defense on this board. I know because I experienced the same thing. Don't ever feel bad about coming on this board. You should always feel that you're welcome with open arms, especially from a board that calls itself pro-LDS. WWJD? Have a good day Angel.:)

All this just because you simply mentioned Ann Romney?! You've gotta be kidding! Don't let anybody put you on any guilt trip Angel. After reading your posts, I honestly don't see where you said anything wrong. O.K. so you mentioned Ann Romney as an example, big deal. I've seen other people (and even celebrities) mentioned on this board as an example as to what to follow and what not to. This even includes General Authorities. For some reason, the least little discussion of temple garments gets people all uptight and on the defense on this board. I know because I experienced the same thing. Don't ever feel bad about coming on this board. You should always feel that you're welcome with open arms, especially from a board that calls itself pro-LDS. WWJD? Have a good day Angel.:)

When you start out a post claiming that "no way was (insert any name) wearing garments", that's a pretty bold, rush-to-judgement kind of statement. Especially when after looking at the picture of the said person, it wasn't obvious at all whether she was wearing them or not. You have to expect some push back from the forum after making a claim like that. Perhaps she should apologize to that person rather than any of us.

When you start out a post claiming that "no way was (insert any name) wearing garments", that's a pretty bold, rush-to-judgement kind of statement. Especially when after looking at the picture of the said person, it wasn't obvious at all whether she was wearing them or not. You have to expect some push back from the forum after making a claim like that. Perhaps she should apologize to that person rather than any of us.

That was her opinion and she's entitled to that! So why would there need to be a push back when you don't know any more that she does on whether or not Ann Romney was wearing garments? Who knows, maybe angel is right? Then again she may not be either. Again, that's angels opinion and if that's what she believes, then so be it. Who are we to say that she owes any apology to anybody?

That was her opinion and she's entitled to that! So why would there need to be a push back when you don't know any more that she does on whether or not Ann Romney was wearing garments? Who knows, maybe angel is right? Then again she may not be either. Again, that's angels opinion and if that's what she believes, then so be it. Who are we to say that she owes any apology to anybody?

Nuances seem to be lost here. (Throwing up hands and walking away.)

Yesterday I was upset.This morning I am laughing. I will not be making anymore posts on this forum because I don't know how to word my words right.I know this.Been a problem all my life.This is why I don't like to give talks or bear my testimony.Im so afraid of saying something that is wrong and I have done so many times not meaning what others are thinking Im meaning.I know i shouldn't be here.Was it moses that had someone speak for him? Like I said yesterday I am sorry.What I was laughing at this morning was that I mentioned Marie Osmond and noone has said anything about her. Poor Marie.Doesn't anyone care if shes wearing garments? Thank goodness I never went on a mission.The damage I could have done not knowing.Maybe this is why I sing instead of speak. I know where I belong.In the corner with my mouth shut. I do thank those who gave me answers about what to do on stage. I don't want them to show so I think I will just be more careful about the outfits I choose.Don't think I can go without them and feel right. one more thing if Anne Romney would answer my call I sure would apologize to her and Im willing to bet she would forgive me........if I could figure out what Im sorry for. Back to my corner.

Yesterday I was upset.This morning I am laughing. I will not be making anymore posts on this forum because I don't know how to word my words right.I know this.Been a problem all my life.This is why I don't like to give talks or bear my testimony.Im so afraid of saying something that is wrong and I have done so many times not meaning what others are thinking Im meaning.I know i shouldn't be here.Was it moses that had someone speak for him? Like I said yesterday I am sorry.What I was laughing at this morning was that I mentioned Marie Osmond and noone has said anything about her. Poor Marie.Doesn't anyone care if shes wearing garments? Thank goodness I never went on a mission.The damage I could have done not knowing.Maybe this is why I sing instead of speak. I know where I belong.In the corner with my mouth shut. I do thank those who gave me answers about what to do on stage. I don't want them to show so I think I will just be more careful about the outfits I choose.Don't think I can go without them and feel right. one more thing if Anne Romney would answer my call I sure would apologize to her and Im willing to bet she would forgive me........if I could figure out what Im sorry for. Back to my corner.

Don't go. I regularly put my foot in my mouth. Or say the wrong thing. Or say something really bad and have to apologize or explain myself. You're not alone.

this forum is the one I have found to be the most forgiving of any mistakes we might feel we make.

Some other forums that call themselves christian are brutal. As others have said, ya gotta develop

a tough hide to post in some places.

And that makes for a better christian wittness, imo, iron sharpens iron. You can't get good at sharing if you don't share.