Tithing and the word of wisdom

circusboy01

I am a full Tithe payer. But I don't always live the word of wisdom. Don't get me wrong I do not use Alcohol, coffee, tobacco, or drugs But the word of wisdom is different for different people. I am diabetic, so sugar is not good for me. since it is harmful to my body, then for me it is against the word of wisdom.

I know we get blessed if we are full tithe payers. But if we are not also living the word of wisdom, would that nullify the blessings from being a full Tithe payer? Brother Ray

Obviously if a failure to keep all commandments meant no blessings for keeping any commandments none of us would receive any blessings from obedience since it isn't complete and perfect in this life. Was there something in particular about Tithing and the Word of Wisdom that you feel you can't be obedient to Tithing without also being obedient to the Word of Wisdom?

Obviously if a failure to keep all commandments meant no blessings for keeping any commandments none of us would receive any blessings from obedience since it isn't complete and perfect in this life. Was there something in particular about Tithing and the Word of Wisdom that you feel you can't be obedient to Tithing without also being obedient to the Word of Wisdom?

No nothing particular. I was just wondering if not obeying one commandment would keep you from the blessing of obeying another commandment. I guess it might depend on the severity of the commandment you don't obey. Thank you for your answer. It makes me feel more assured that I am eligible to receive blessings from being a full tithe payer Brother Ray

I am a full Tithe payer. But I don't always live the word of wisdom. Don't get me wrong I do not use Alcohol, coffee, tobacco, or drugs But the word of wisdom is different for different people. I am diabetic, so sugar is not good for me. since it is harmful to my body, then for me it is against the word of wisdom....

Are you saying then that you don't take sugar with your tea? I can relate, I do not use sugar with tea either. I'm not quite sure from your post why you think you are not following the WofW; from what you've mentioned it looks like you're following it to me.

M.

I am diabetic, so sugar is not good for me.

Not necessarily true, Both DW and I are diabetic and sugar in moderation, balanced with proteins are not bad for you.

Now if you tell me you sit down and eat a box of candy bars or drink a case of regular (non-diet) soda - that's a whole different case.

Edited by mnn727

Guest LiterateParakeet

Brother Ray, Heavenly Father loves us and wants to bless us. He is not looking for reasons to withold blessings. ;) None of us are perfect or can be at this point in our progression...the important thing is that we are trying. You are trying, please don't be so hard on yourself.

I am a full Tithe payer. But I don't always live the word of wisdom. Don't get me wrong I do not use Alcohol, coffee, tobacco, or drugs But the word of wisdom is different for different people. I am diabetic, so sugar is not good for me. since it is harmful to my body, then for me it is against the word of wisdom.

I know we get blessed if we are full tithe payers. But if we are not also living the word of wisdom, would that nullify the blessings from being a full Tithe payer? Brother Ray

I believe you are on a right path. The point is - what is your personal covenant concerning the word of wisdom? What have you promised and committed to G-d that you will live. Hopefully is should have as a minimum what G-d expects for the least of his saints. And it should include principles that you know and understand to be true - especially for you.

When I left home and joined the army my father inspired me to make a personal covenant - I thought to give some example of blessings, however there are some on the internet that for personal reasons may think to make exception or argument. Therefore, I will only say this, there are great and unmistakable blessings given only to thous that are serious about their personal covenants to G-d. And such treasured blessing cannot be obtained by any other means.

The Traveler

I just wanted to encourage you to take good care of your diabetes. My dad is dying from it. It has caused heart failure, kidney failure, dementia, bowel ischemia, gastroparesis and neuropathy. It is a long painful way to die. Follow your doctor's instructions completely. Check your sugar several times a day (my dad's doc recommends 8 times). Dad would be much healthier had he taken care of his diabetes, but he was always too busy and loved food too much. Eat to live, not live to eat.

Not necessarily true, Both DW and I are diabetic and sugar in moderation, balanced with proteins are not bad for you.

Now if you tell me you sit down and eat a box of candy bars or drink a case of regular (non-diet) soda - that's a whole different case.

You can talk about in moderation , with protein, all sorts of reasons for eating sugar.

But if you are a diabetic sugar, by itself and in the amounts a person without diabetes, might consume. Is not good for you. I know. I have stage 3 Kidney failure. Because I wouldn't stay away from the sweets.

Brother Ray

Are you saying then that you don't take sugar with your tea? I can relate, I do not use sugar with tea either. I'm not quite sure from your post why you think you are not following the WofW; from what you've mentioned it looks like you're following it to me.

M.

The word of Wisdom tells us not to take things in that are harmful to our body. Different things are harmful to different people. For instance if milk made a person sick every time they drank it. But they liked it so much they drank it anyway. They would be breaking the Word of Wisdom. Being Diabetic I break the Word of Wisdom every time I eat too many Carbs in the form of sugar or starches. Brother Ray

Brother Ray, Heavenly Father loves us and wants to bless us. He is not looking for reasons to withold blessings. ;) None of us are perfect or can be at this point in our progression...the important thing is that we are trying. You are trying, please don't be so hard on yourself.

I clicked the thanks button. But I wanted to add...very much Brother Ray

I just wanted to encourage you to take good care of your diabetes. My dad is dying from it. It has caused heart failure, kidney failure, dementia, bowel ischemia, gastroparesis and neuropathy. It is a long painful way to die. Follow your doctor's instructions completely. Check your sugar several times a day (my dad's doc recommends 8 times). Dad would be much healthier had he taken care of his diabetes, but he was always too busy and loved food too much. Eat to live, not live to eat.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had neuropathy for a while now. I was just recently diagnosed with stage 3 kidney failure.. I just couldn't stay away from food. Didn't matter if it was bad for me or not. I know it's wrong for me to eat certain things but sometimes The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I also figured if I ate to much Carbs. I would just inject more insulin.

That made my test results look good but it didn't keep me from having kidney failure.

I am trying harder though I've gone from 186 lbs to 173 lbs, and from a 36" waist to a 33" waist, and I do a lot of walking to try to keep my blood sugar down. Brother Ray.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had neuropathy for a while now. I was just recently diagnosed with stage 3 kidney failure.. I just couldn't stay away from food. Didn't matter if it was bad for me or not. I know it's wrong for me to eat certain things but sometimes The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. I also figured if I ate to much Carbs. I would just inject more insulin.

That made my test results look good but it didn't keep me from having kidney failure.

I am trying harder though I've gone from 186 lbs to 173 lbs, and from a 36" waist to a 33" waist, and I do a lot of walking to try to keep my blood sugar down. Brother Ray.

I will be praying that God will give you complete victory! It is impossible to do it without leaning on Him completely. I hope your health improves. You will definitely be in my prayers.

D & C 130

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.

To me, this means that obeying a certain law will guarantee that we will receive the blessings predicated upon that law... regardless of whether we obey other laws or not.

I believe the statement made in D & C 82:10 is applicable on a case by case basis for each individual law of the Lord-

I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

It seems that since partaking sugar is not forbidden in the Word of Wisdom, by simply raising that question in your particular situation is a mark of spiritual sensitivity because you are recognizing the "spirit" of the Law.

The Lord will not withhold any blessings to you relative to being a full tithe payer while struggling with imperfections or shortcomings relating to any other of God's commandments. With that being said, by abstaining from the usual "do nots" within the Word of Wisdom you will likewise receive the promised blessings; even more so, if we are obedient to all of it's counsel and also to the inspirations of the Spirit regarding personal applications.

As others have said, moderation in all things. Sometimes this needs to be our guide, but not always.

Brother Ray, God bless and fight the good fight!