Students Can't answer basic questions about America

pam

I find the story behind Francis Scott Key's writing of the Star Spangled Banner awe inspiring. I get tingles when I think of it. Imagine, not knowing if the flag would still be standing after the night, and then look, and "the flag was still there".

I find the story behind Francis Scott Key's writing of the Star Spangled Banner awe inspiring. I get tingles when I think of it. Imagine, not knowing if the flag would still be standing after the night, and then look, and "the flag was still there".

I've always thought the American National Anthem is awe-inspiring. It's a pretty simple sentiment about love of country represented by the flag.

It goes on the same theme as the Philippine National Anthem - that of standing up and fighting for our country because of our deep love for her - but the American anthem is more of a victorious tone to it while the Philippine one has more of a fatality to it...

The last line of the Philippine National Anthem goes:

Aming ligaya na pag may mang-aapi

ang mamatay nang dahil sa 'yo.

('Tis our joy, when there be oppressors,

To die because of Thee.)

So, it's got that sombre ring to it whereas the American one has more of a "you can't get us down!" ring to it. It's really very very American, if you know what I'm saying.

Does it have more of a sombre melody or a little update and strong?

Now I'm going to have to search YouTube.

It is not upbeat but it is very strong... more of like something you would sing right before marching to war. A battlecry, almost.

Yeah, I love the song. By Philippine Law, you can't sing it with different "renditions" like you could the American anthem. You can only sing it the way it is written with very minimal variation - like a slower tempo or a longer ending note, etc. But you can't "soul it out" or "countrify" it.

Hmm... I don't know this one. I'm going to guess... Castillo del San Marcos in St. Augustine, Florida?

No. I 'cheated' and looked it up so not telling. Line of logic would have made sense to me though.

I am a heretic since I do love the national anthem and its reason for being written. Not so fond of the lyrics but totally love the resounding music!

My favorite verse is the 4th:

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,

Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land

Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

My favorite verse is the 4th:

O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,

Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation;

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land

Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Not fond of the conquer and war aspects. :) Nevertheless I do love it and will defend it even against my husband who prefers 'America the Beautiful'. A beautiful song as well but not rousing.

Did any of you watch the follow up video with the college students being asked questions? They asked them what the difference was between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Most could not answer.

On another note... I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE our national anthem! I get choked up every time I sing it. I think I will make it my goal for next years classes to teach my students at least two verses of the Star Spangled Banner.

To tell you the truth, Americans are getting dumber with time. Fourteen years ago, I was friends with a University of Washington Math professor. He said that the math skill level these students are entering the university is getting worse and worse.

Here is also a video about the subject of where American Corporations are hiring Engineers and it is not Domestic born Citizens.

Most people are not smart, but those who have knowledge, worked hard to obtain it and like me, obsessed with learning something new every day.

I have to admit, I can't remember what the capital of Washington is. I just knew it wasn't Seattle.

Edited by bcguy

This is a true story that my step dad told me. One day, he was in Olympia Washington, our capital, and two older ladies came up to him and asked him "sir, where is the White House" He said "The White House??" They said yes. He said , with his hand point east, "That way 3,000 miles" :)

This is a true story that my step dad told me. One day, he was in Olympia Washington, our capital, and two older ladies came up to him and asked him "sir, where is the White House" He said "The White House??" They said yes. He said , with his hand point east, "That way 3,000 miles" :)

I thought you were in Canada? Well no wonder your friends are confused in wishing you Happy Thanksgiving. :lol:

I am originally from the pacific NW. Immigrated up here about 11 years ago. I thought people would think this is funny. I laughed when I heard this :) Step dad is a bit of a Character he was the original band manager for the Kingsman artist group who Sang the song Lui Lui in the 1960s.

Yeah, I'd really like to see a statistic of that. Because, a lot of my husband's generation of Americans that I have come in contact with are not politically "informed". I mean, simple things like... how the federal government comes up with a budget...

Seems like our elected officials have no clue about budgeting either.

I can't imagine someone not liking the lyrics. They are really so inspiring.

I hate that song, not just dislike, I actually hate it -- why not 'America the Beautiful' as the National Anthem, why does it have to be a war song? Why glorify war if you want to have a song about the country?

Edited by mnn727

I hate that song, not just dislike, I actually hate it -- why not 'America the Beautiful' as the National Anthem, why does it have to be a war song? Why glorify war if you want to have a song about the country?

D&C 101

2 I, the Lord, have suffered the affliction to come upon them, wherewith they have been afflicted, in consequence of their transgressions......

80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.

We don't glorify war. We remember what was sacrificed for us. Just as we remember Christ's sacrifice. We don't glorify the torture he endured and the brutal death he suffered. But it is part of the sacrifice that we remember. It is the COST and the PRICE PAID by those who laid down their lives for our freedom and our eternal lives.