Photo
- - - - -

Preparing my first talk! Topic is faith.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lmh3

lmh3

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

I've been assigned to give my first talk soon and the topic is faith. I'm not particularly nervous about speaking, but more stressed about writing it. I just want it to be one that people will take something away from. I'm looking for some tips on writing an engaging, meaningful talk and maybe some sources for quotes. Do you have a favorite general conference talk regarding faith or maybe an Ensign article? I'm a pretty new member and so I don't remember all the stories in the BoM after just one reading, so if you could refresh me of some good exercises in faith that I could review I'd be grateful. Thanks in advance for any talk/faith advice you can share!

#2 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10147 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

When you give a talk, that is a chance for you to share your testimony... ...which means, TELL PERSONAL STORIES. That's how you share your testimony: "Here's what happened to me." Keeps the audience interested and allows the Spirit to confirm your words.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#3 Guest_Doctrine_*

Guest_Doctrine_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Ask your self what faith means to you and what you want the people to take from your talk and then say what you want them to learn. example i want you to feel courage as you give your talk, so i would say " when we have faith in Jesus christ, it gives us courage in knowing we are doing to right thing, and I want you to have courage and faith in what you are going to do, because jesus has faith in you and will help you in your talk, as the spirit directs your words and thoughts, also good luck. lol.

#4 RMGuy

RMGuy

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

When you give a talk, that is a chance for you to share your testimony...

...which means, TELL PERSONAL STORIES. That's how you share your testimony: "Here's what happened to me." Keeps the audience interested and allows the Spirit to confirm your words.

I thought testimonies were supposed to be travelogues?!?!?!?

:P

-RM

#5 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

The idea is not as much as to get into any really doctrine, but to explain what Faith means to you. How do you view faith in your life. If you can, don't start out your talk with "I was giving the assignment to talk on faith" or tell the story of how you were wrangled into giving a talk. Yes sometimes these are funny, but I feel there is a better ways to introduce the subject.

#6 selek

selek

Banned

• Banned
  • 988 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

The best advice I can offer is that you study the matter beforehand and PRAY before you write.

You are giving the talk, but it is the Spirit of God that converts.

Do not concern yourself with making a good impression...

Do not stack your talk with flowing oratory or learned words...

Do not approach this as though your words are the wisdom that other men (or women) need...

Be humble. Be concise. Be genuine- and let the Spirit of God talk through you.

Now that I've said that, I've got to go work on all of the above ;).

Good luck with your talk.
2 Timothy 1:7
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

#7 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Vort read my mind...(nevermind that he wrote his post first--inconsequential :D). First, my friend and I were just talking about this how people repeat the same stories from talks over and over. As Vort said, tell them your stories! Second keep in mind that the topic is Faith in Christ. We can have faith in all kinds of things, and we do. I have faith that if I stub my toe it will hurt. Faith in Christ is the topic. Third, remember that the glory goes to Heavenly Father. You said you are not uncomfortable speaking, so just in case you are like me. . .I actually enjoy public speaking, I like acting etc...so before I give a talk, I remind myself that the point is to bring people to Christ, not to impress them with my skills. Then I pray ask Father to help me deliver the message He wants, and please bless me with the Holy Ghost in preparing and delivering the talk. If you do these three things, I believe you will have the Spirit, and that IS the goal! Let us know how it goes!

#8 Guest_Thinker_*

Guest_Thinker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:38 AM

You've gotten a lot of good advice. When it comes from you heart, it tends to touch people the most. When I think about faith, I think about love, the basis of the highest commandment - & only that which will never fail. Love is resonating, hoping & striving for what is best through trial & error - active faith. Think of times in your life when you had some decision to make, or when you had obstacles (internal or external) that required you to exercise active faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq