Need Some Help
Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:14 PM
Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:41 PM
13 Unto whom I have committed the keys of my kingdom, and a dispensation of the gospel for the last times; and for the fulness of times, in the which I will gather together in one all things, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth;
In today's dispensation of the fulness of times, all things that were in the past are restored today. This includes temple worship, ordinances and covenants.
These things were not written in our scriptures. You'll notice that we're the only religious group that has temples for a very specific purpose. It's a mystery for the rest of the world too.
A few things I would recommend:
1) Take a temple prep class.
2) Remember that the Sacrament ordinance is one of exactness, just like ordinances in the temple.
- Prayers are said exactly, or they are repeated until correct.
- The sacrament emblems are passed by deacons, sacrament is prepared by teachers, and blessed by priests.
- The white cloth is used as a symbol of Christ's burial, and is moved to uncover the emblems being blessed and passed.
- The sacrament is first passed to the presiding authority of the ward - the Bishop, or a member of the Stake Presidency.
- It is encouraged that we wear white shirts while administering the sacrament.
In this respect, it is preparation for participating in sacred, temple ordinances.
3) Think "Old Testament" when in the temple. It will feel different from other meetings, but the Spirit is there.
4) Read the book of Moses before you attend the temple.
Mountain of the Lord - the Building of the Salt Lake Temple
As far as "secret handshakes" are concerned, I will use an example.
Have you ever made an oath? Of course you have.
- When asked to sustain a person in a church calling, you raise your hand to the square.
- When on trial, you place your hand on the Bible and swear (make an oath) to tell the truth.
- In Boy Scouts, the scout sign has the same meaning.
There is nothing wrong with oaths that lead us to make promises to lead better lives. This is what happens in the temple. You make sacred covenants that are an extension of your baptismal covenants... and you will receive blessings that are explained in the temple ordinance.
Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:29 PM
Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:25 AM
- Nineteen is not late to serve a mission. It is typical missionary age. I turned 20 in the MTC.
- Get your cavities taken care of ASAP, and learn to care for your teeth so you don't get any more. I say this not primarily for your mission, but for yourself thirty years from now. Trust me on this one.
- Saying that temple ceremonies are "secret" like some sort of clandestine club is simply wrong. Anyone -- literally anyone -- is welcome to learn these "secrets" as long as they repent of their sins and make the covenants. The only people excluded are those who exclude themselves by not conforming to God's standards.
- Cain made blood oaths with Satan to murder in order to get gain. That is pretty much the opposite of what is done in the temple. Almost everything in the temple, both the information you learn and the covenants you make, comes directly from scripture.
- Early Christians (before AD 200) believed that Christ had given "secret knowledge" to his disciples after his resurrection. The book of Acts speaks of the forty days Christ spent with his disciples, yet says nothing -- not one thing -- about the content of those teachings. In very early Christianity, sects of people called "Gnostics" (from a Greek term meaning "those in the know") sprang up, claiming to have these "secret teachings". To this day, "Gnostic" is a synonym for "heretic", because these groups would make outrageous and outlandish claims on what Jesus "secretly" taught his disciples. And yet it is almost beyond doubt that Jesus did teach his disciples something that he explicitly told them not to share with the world; why else would we have no record of the forty days?
- There are no "secret handshakes". This is not a boys clubhouse with secret knocks and handshakes and Mount Wannahawkaloogie. In the temple, you are instructed in sacred covenants you make. These covenants and the promises you make with them are associated with symbols, called "tokens", that represent the promises you make. These tokens take a form that some people (mistakenly) call "handshakes". Nothing sinister about them. They are "secret", but only in the sense that you covenant never to reveal them to others, because that is not your place to do. If they want to learn them, they can come to the temple and learn them in God's way and order.
Edited by Vort, 30 November 2012 - 12:28 AM.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! -james12
We cannot become like God without becoming like God. -The Folk Prophet
Impenetrability! That's what I say!
Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:28 AM
Here are a few answers to consider:
[*]There are no "secret handshakes". This is not a boys clubhouse with secret knocks and handshakes and Mount Wannahawkaloogie.
You can also watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...
Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:21 AM
(Topical Guide | M Mysteries of Godliness:Entry)
Mysteries of Godliness (see also God, Knowledge about; God, Omniscience of; Knowledge; Learning; Mystery)
Deut. 29:29 secret things belong unto the Lord
Ps. 25:14 secret of the Lord is with them that fear him
Dan. 2:28 God in heaven that revealeth secrets
Matt. 13:11 (Mark 4:11; Luke 8:10) given unto you to know the m.
Rom. 11:25 I would not ... that ye should be ignorant of this m.
Rom. 16:25 according to the revelation of the m.
1 Cor. 2:7 we speak the wisdom of God in a m.
1 Cor. 4:1 ministers of Christ, and stewards of the m. of God
1 Cor. 13:2 understand all m. ... and have not charity
1 Cor. 14:2 in the spirit he speaketh m.
1 Cor. 15:51 I shew you a m.
Eph. 1:9 made known unto us the m. of his will
Eph. 3:3 by revelation he made known unto me the m.
Eph. 3:9 make all men see what is the fellowship of the m.
Eph. 5:32 a great m.: but I speak concerning Christ
Eph. 6:19 make known the m. of the gospel
Col. 1:26 m. which hath been hid from ages
1 Tim. 3:16 (3:9) great is the m. of godliness
Rev. 10:7 m. of God should be finished
Rev. 17:7 I will tell thee the m. of the woman
1 Ne. 2:16 having great desires to know of the m. of God
1 Ne. 10:19 m. of God shall be unfolded unto them, by ... Holy Ghost
2 Ne. 27:22 until I shall see fit ... to reveal all things
Jacob 4:8 unsearchable are the depths of the m.
Mosiah 1:5 we might read and understand of his m.
Mosiah 2:9 m. of God may be unfolded to your view
Mosiah 8:19 interpreters ... prepared for ... unfolding all such m.
Alma 10:5 I have seen much of his m.
Alma 12:9 (26:22) given unto many to know the m. of God
Alma 37:4 every nation, kindred ... shall know of the m.
Alma 40:3 many m. ... no one knoweth them save God
D&C 6:7 m. of God shall be unfolded unto you
D&C 19:10 m. of godliness, how great is it
D&C 28:7 (35:18) given him the keys of the m.
D&C 42:61 thou mayest know the m. and peaceable things
D&C 76:7 to them will I reveal all m., yea, all the hidden m.
D&C 77:6 book which John saw ... contains the revealed will, m.
D&C 84:19 greater priesthood ... holdeth the key of the m.
D&C 97:5 blessings, in expounding all scriptures and m.
D&C 101:33 hidden things which no man knew
D&C 107:19 privilege of receiving the m. of the kingdom
JS-H 1:74 intention of their more mysterious passages revealed
See also D&C 93:28; 121:26.
consider why Jesus spoke in parables...
(New Testament | Matthew 13:11 - 13)
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the amysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 aFor whosoever hath, to him shall be bgiven, and he shall have more cabundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
We are accountable for what we know, those who are willing to act upon more are given more... those who are not yet prepared or able to handle more are not given knowledge that might condemn them.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users