It's the little things...

My mother was a coloratura soprano. We grew up with opera and classical music and she has always expressed an appreciation for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. When I started watching the Devotional tonight, and saw the choir, I thought she would enjoy some Christmas music and called her up to tell her about it. After some fiddling around trying to find BYU-TV (No, I don't have it. What's it called? No, don't see it? BY, what?...) she found it.

We sat on the phone while she listened to Presidents Eyring and Uchtdorf. She'd lived in Germany for a while and found Pres. Uchtdorf a handsome man (well, who doesn't? :lol: ) and enjoyed his accent. She asked me about why they were called president, who was the leader, etc. We listened to the choir, and of course she wanted to see if there were any black people in the choir. :lol:

Then President Monson spoke. I told her who he was and a bit about him (having just completed his biography). My mother is 82. When Pres. Monson spoke about the elderly, I could hear her agreeing with him. Over and over she said, "I like this guy. I could listen to him." She also thought he looked good for his age. :lol: This was the way I felt the first time I heard him at Conference, before I even met the missionaries. We listened to the rest of the devotional and I told her that now that she had found BYU-TV, she could hear more of the choir and watch some family TV.

I am grateful that my mother, an Episcopalian, never said a negative thing to me when I joined the Church, tries to learn about it, and is willing to listen to me talk about it. So many converts are not as lucky. Anyway, I don't know if my mother will join, but little by little, she's coming to understand more about the Church. At least I won't feel conflicted about doing her temple work if it ends up that way.

Guest LiterateParakeet

What a nice way to share a bit of what is dear to you with your mother. Well done. Aside from the gospel perspective, I just think that was a nice mother/daughter moment. Good for you both.