- - - - -

My Daughter, The Frog

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SquidMom_*

Guest_SquidMom_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

So, this wierd. My 12 yr old daughter said she doesn't believe in the church because she firmly believes that she used to be a frog, but was hit by a car and reborn to me. I know, she's insane. I just told her she can believe whatever she wants, but she still has to go church. She says she believes in God. I explained to her about reincarnation, and how it is a non- christian belief, so that doesn't really work. Should I support her at this stage? I know this is only a crazy phase for her, and she will likely come around eventually. So, is it unhealthy to allow her to explore other beliefs, i.e. non christian, to allow her to come into faith on her own accord? Or is she to young for that kind of freedom?

#2 Bini

Bini

xoxo

• Members
  • 5733 posts
  • LocationUtah, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

So, this wierd. My 12 yr old daughter said she doesn't believe in the church because she firmly believes that she used to be a frog, but was hit by a car and reborn to me. I know, she's insane. I just told her she can believe whatever she wants, but she still has to go church. She says she believes in God. I explained to her about reincarnation, and how it is a non- christian belief, so that doesn't really work.
Should I support her at this stage? I know this is only a crazy phase for her, and she will likely come around eventually. So, is it unhealthy to allow her to explore other beliefs, i.e. non christian, to allow her to come into faith on her own accord? Or is she to young for that kind of freedom?

I don't think it's ever unhealthy to learn about other cultures and religions. However, until a child is of legal age and continues to live under their parents' roof, mum and dad are in charge.

I went to private school and Religious Studies was a mandatory course - for everyone - covering everything from Judaism, to Christianity, to Islam, etc. etc. I was and am LDS, and I used that opportunity to broaden my knowledge on various faiths. Some days I questioned the differences between us and 'the other guys'. Other days I felt uplifted that I knew the LDS gospel was true. In retrospect, while I'm no religious scholar, I have learned to appreciate the good that so many other faiths have to offer and contribute to our world.

No more dancing candy cane - hurrah!

#3 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6138 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

I recall asking my parents at a young age about reincarnation (somehow my young mind wasn't grasping the contradiction of the premortal existence in tandem with reincarnation). I certainly wouldn't waste my time fighting with her on this--like you said, it's probably little more than a crazy phase.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#4 RMGuy

RMGuy

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I think you support her, and love her and HELP her explore. At the same times it has always struck me as curious how we believe that children, at the age of 8, are accountable/responsible enough to make an important decision regarding what church to join, but they amazingly aren't accountable/responsible enough at the age of 12, 14, 16 etc to decide to leave... -RM

#5 Guest_SquidMom_*

Guest_SquidMom_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

I had mostly the same thoughts on this. Thanks, all! She is kind of a strange kid anyway, she'll likely be obsessed with some other wierdness in a month or so. :)

#6 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

I think you support her, and love her and HELP her explore.

At the same times it has always struck me as curious how we believe that children, at the age of 8, are accountable/responsible enough to make an important decision regarding what church to join, but they amazingly aren't accountable/responsible enough at the age of 12, 14, 16 etc to decide to leave...

-RM

I don't think it is that we don't believe they're accountable/responsible enough to decide to leave. I think it's more like - until you can live on your own, you're going to follow the house rules. And a rule in this house is you go to church. I don't see anything wrong with that.

#7 RMGuy

RMGuy

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I don't think it is that we don't believe they're accountable/responsible enough to decide to leave. I think it's more like - until you can live on your own, you're going to follow the house rules. And a rule in this house is you go to church. I don't see anything wrong with that.

So it really wasn't a choice at 8 then?
-RM

#8 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

So it really wasn't a choice at 8 then?
-RM

Of course it was. At least in my house you don't get baptized unless you choose to get baptized. But you still have to go to church even if you decide not to get baptized. House rule.

#9 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Of course it was. At least in my house you don't get baptized unless you choose to get baptized. But you still have to go to church even if you decide not to get baptized. House rule.

Same here. The child makes choices, but the parents set that standards of conduct.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#10 DHK

DHK

5,000+ posts and hasn't been banned yet...

• Members
  • 5564 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

So, this wierd. My 12 yr old daughter said she doesn't believe in the church because she firmly believes that she used to be a frog, but was hit by a car and reborn to me. I know, she's insane. I just told her she can believe whatever she wants, but she still has to go church. She says she believes in God. I explained to her about reincarnation, and how it is a non- christian belief, so that doesn't really work.
Should I support her at this stage? I know this is only a crazy phase for her, and she will likely come around eventually. So, is it unhealthy to allow her to explore other beliefs, i.e. non christian, to allow her to come into faith on her own accord? Or is she to young for that kind of freedom?

Hmmm... pretty recent reincarnation. What kind of car was it?

It's a pretty big "promotion" to go from frog to daughter. If she really believes in reincarnation, what was she supposed to learn from being a frog that she didn't get the chance to learn before?

Was she expecting her 'prince' to turn her back into a frog?

I think she's just in a phase and having some fun with you.

For fun, you can find some frogs legs and have them for dinner one night!

I know, I'm evil. :D
"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21). President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ." - Neal A. Maxwell, October 10th, 1978.

http://speeches.byu....viewitem&id=909

#11 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9688 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hmmm... pretty recent reincarnation. What kind of car was it?

It's a pretty big "promotion" to go from frog to daughter. If she really believes in reincarnation, what was she supposed to learn from being a frog that she didn't get the chance to learn before?

Don't jump in front of cars. Same rule applies today.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#12 talisyn

talisyn

• Members
  • 2376 posts
  • LocationWilds of Idaho

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I feel your pain. When my 13 yr old daughter was 12 she decided she wanted to be Wiccan and proceeded to tell me all about how Christians co-opted major pagan events. I was then able to talk to her about Latter-day and Early-day Saints and how, if there have been people preaching about Christ since the beginnings, then Mithra et al were a co-op of Christian beliefs. I had fun, and she got something to chew on. And she still has to go to church with us :D

#13 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6138 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Don't jump in front of cars. Same rule applies today.

So you're saying that if I can get through life and learn that lesson, Nirvana awaits me?

#14 anatess

anatess

Resident Alien

• Members
  • 10640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

From Teen Witch (1989, with Robyn Lively - Blake's sister)

Madam Serena (after Louise turned the frog to a prince):
That wonderful witch, she did it!
Oh how I've longed to see you standing there before me; loving me, adoring me.
What do you wanna say? How long I've waited to hear these words.
Speak, speak.

Frog Prince:
Ribit, ribit.

Teen Witch 1989 (Full Movie) - YouTube
Starts at 46 minutes...

:D

#15 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9688 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

So you're saying that if I can get through life and learn that lesson, Nirvana awaits me?

No, but in your next life you won't be tempted to jump in front of cars. Your challenge will be either falling off steep cliffs or touching high voltage lines with your bare hands while grounded.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#16 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6138 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

No, but in your next life you won't be tempted to jump in front of cars. Your challenge will be either falling off steep cliffs or touching high voltage lines with your bare hands while grounded.

Reincarnation's hard.

#17 mordorbund

mordorbund

wordHat

• Ask Gramps Team
  • 2062 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Meh. You were a frog then, you're a Mormon now. "What e'er thou art, act well thy part."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq