What I didn't know about FLDS

Bini

20/20 recently aired a segment covering a mother's and her children's transition from a Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints compound into the outside world. There was one particular fact that struck me right off balance - FLDS teach their kids in school that their prophet, Warren Jeffs, is also the President of America. This was brought up when the teenaged children expressed embarrassment and disappointment in their FLDS education after enrollment into public school. Anyway, I had a literal jaw drop. Has anyone else heard this before? Is this common knowledge in what the FLDS homeschool their kids?

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

Granted, I was not familiar with what FLDS were until the last ten years when I moved to Utah. Prior to that, I had never heard about them, not much anyway. Even now, it's clear that my understanding of just how "off" they are, is waaay underestimated!

I have watched several documentaries about various Christian families/groups in both the UK and USA where they take their children out of school to teach them what they believe to be right the one that really really springs to mind is Westborough Baptist church. I guess sometimes people just have odd ideas about right and wrong - but I know that some people think our ideas of right and wrong are odd too!

Hidden

I have watched several documentaries about various Christian families/groups in both the UK and USA where they take their children out of school to teach them what they believe to be right the one that really really springs to mind is Westborough Baptist church. I guess sometimes people just have odd ideas about right and wrong - but I know that some people think our ideas of right and wrong are odd too!

Ya gotta watch out for those freaky homeschooling weirdos.

On a completely unrelated topic, my son scored 35 on his ACT.

I have reservations believing x-anythings about whatever it is they are no longer a part of out of hand.

Something about the wild stories I have read and heard of from x-Mormons leads me to believe they aren't all that credible, or it is some twisted ugly form of the truth stretched beyond recognition.

Edited by jerome1232

Ya gotta watch out for those freaky homeschooling weirdos and their cultish, brainwashed brats.

On a completely unrelated topic, and apropos of absolutely nothing, my son scored 35 on his ACT!

I have watched several documentaries about various Christian families/groups in both the UK and USA where they take their children out of school to teach them what they believe to be right

*Raises hand* That would be me too, I guess. We sort of hop around groups though. We did a stint with a secular co-op, gave the Nazarenes a try, and are currently involved with a group based out of a mega-church, and a homeschool academy out of our school system.

Congrats to your kid, Vort! My kids are a ways away from college, but my 8 yr old did just finish Christmas shopping for her kitten, and used her own chores money. We're pretty proud of that.

Ya gotta watch out for those freaky homeschooling weirdos and their cultish, brainwashed brats.

On a completely unrelated topic, and apropos of absolutely nothing, my son scored 35 on his ACT!

I didn't home school any of my children. I never felt disciplined enough to do it. I admire those who can. For the most part, I see positive results of home schooling. But, I do have one negative example. My cousin home schooled her 12 children. I don't think any of them (adults now) can really read and write past a 6th grade level. Sad.

I'd love to homeschool but my husband is not a fan, and it's a decision we both must agree upon.

Back to topic :) I'm thinking maybe this isn't an FLDS doctrine but more of something decided by those in the FLDS compound? Or, maybe ALL FLDS teach that Warren Jeffs is the American President??? Crazy..

It really doesn't surprise me. Though I had some contact & interaction with some members of the sect many many years ago before the "seclusion" of members became so strong, & thru that I have some knowledge of many of the teachings they had back then.

Since the seclusion compounds are each intended to be totally self-reliant without the outside world, and only select members are permitted to go into the world when necessary, it would be very easy to teach children (and adults) whatever the "Prophet" felt should be taught .... and have it believed 100% whether it be trueth or out-right lie.

My aunt home schooled her children 30+ years ago and they all qualified to go to BYU.

I wish I had home schooled my children. I taught my oldest son at home for 9th grade and turned in a report and examples of his work at home to get him high school credit. That was a lot of work.

I am considering home schooling my grandson. We'll see how he does in Kindergarten. I've had to take him out of preschool this year because he doesn't know how to deal with mean behavior in other children. I'm hoping to put him back in class in January. His teacher is wonderful to work with. But I don't know if I'll have the same experience next year.

Where I live a lot of families home school. Their children are better educated than their counterparts in public school. Which is a sad situation. Public schools should be doing better.

Where I live a lot of families home school. Their children are better educated than their counterparts in public school. Which is a sad situation. Public schools should be doing better.

While I agree that public schools often fail in their duties, I don't agree that they should be exceeding homeschoolers. On the contrary, I think it would be nigh impossible to exceed a well-run homeschooling experience. It is truly the cream of the crop of educational options. There is a reason that homeschooling done by even seemingly unqualified parents tends to produce better students than government-run public schools.

20/20 recently aired a segment covering a mother's and her children's transition from a Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints compound into the outside world. There was one particular fact that struck me right off balance - FLDS teach their kids in school that their prophet, Warren Jeffs, is also the President of America. This was brought up when the teenaged children expressed embarrassment and disappointment in their FLDS education after enrollment into public school. Anyway, I had a literal jaw drop. Has anyone else heard this before? Is this common knowledge in what the FLDS homeschool their kids?

I believe this is the wrong place to ask this question. I suggest you ask a active and believing member of the FLDS - If you cannot find one - then do not concern yourself. It really then is not information that will help you honestly deal with anyone you can find.

The Traveler

I believe this is the wrong place to ask this question. I suggest you ask a active and believing member of the FLDS - If you cannot find one - then do not concern yourself. It really then is not information that will help you honestly deal with anyone you can find.

The Traveler

That was enlightening, Traveler.

I suggest you ask a active and believing member of the FLDS - If you cannot find one - then do not concern yourself.

That's interesting advice. I've never seen one online. I doubt there are very many open-access internet stations inside the compounds at Colorado City or Eldorado Texas. Due to the closed nature of their communities, you don't really meet one shopping. Any leadership in the public eye, tends to not exactly be giving tours or answering a lot of questions (unless they're on trial for something).

All the vocal people I've heard about, are former, escaped or kicked-out, nonbelieving members. Some of them have written books about their lives, or are sometimes involved in the various court cases, sometimes they are the ones pressing charges.

I'm at least as concerned about FLDS folks, as I am young girls in Thailand who are sold into childhood prostitution - sometimes by their parents. Advice to not concern myself, doesn't exactly sit well.

Guest LiterateParakeet

The Traveler

I agree with the point that it would be best to ask an FLDS person...supposing you could find one. After all, isn't that the same advice we give people about OUR church i.e. ask us, not anti-mormons?

The second part is trickier...I think there are some situations where that does apply and other situations where it would not. In this situation, I think it does apply. We might disagree with the FLDS ideas about homeschooling, but it is really not our concern. On the other hand, if we suspect abuse in any form, that is our concern.