Synchronicity and the Gospel

Wordnerd

I am a newish member so still learning a lot about the Church. In the past (pre-conversion) I tended to consider synchronicity as a valid form of direction for my greater good (which is a popular new-agey concept), however have recently begun to question that based on recent experience.

About 4 months ago I considered taking an "outside" job (I work in my husband's business) in order to assist us financially. I prayed about it but recieved no definitive answer, my husband prayed on it and indicated to me that he believed the matter to be entirely a matter of choice for me. I immediately landed a "dream" job in the same field I have worked in off and on over the years. I took this as a "sign" that I had made the right decision.

Our home life immediately started to destruct, especially with regards to the kids' behaviour and happiness, I won't go into detail but it was sufficient for me to doubt the decision to return to work, I didn't mesh well with my manager at work and after further prayer decided to quit the job. I know I recieved a definitive answer to my prayers whether I should leave the job. So, what do people think about synchronicity, does it exist, and it taught me a valuable lesson, or was I mistaken in the source of my "sign", or is it just all coincidence?

Perhaps you could define exactly what you mean when you talk about "synchronicity". The fact that random, causally unrelated events interact in a beneficial (or destructive) manner is easily observed in everyday life.

Do you mean that you have believed such "synchronicity" to be divinely designed? If so, I probably don't agree. I believe that sometimes coincidences happen.

Yes, synchronicity as a divinely guided phenomenom was what I was thinking of. Certainly coincidences do happen and can mean nothing, I find myself thinking a lot lately on whether they can also be divine guidance because I had always assumed they were. I guess I am leaning away from that in this instance, but I haven't come across any scripture or talk that informs me either way.

I believe long-time member or new convert it is often hard to separate our wants from our prayers. How do we pray? Do we ask "What should I do?" or do we decide what it is we should do by studying out in our minds, coming to a conclusion and then seeking confirmation?

I have done both and found that the later is the best and advised way. On top of that we must do all we can to remove our personal feelings when we seek a spiritual response or the answer will always be yes.

Good luck,

Ben Raines

I think they can be divinely guided, but I don't think they must be. I do believe in a God who gets involved in his children's affairs, but not one who predetermines every move.

I'm inclined to agree with you, I feel the reality is somewhere between every flap of butterflies' wings being planned to some end and all is chaos without meaning. Edited by Dravin

Yes, synchronicity as a divinely guided phenomenom was what I was thinking of. Certainly coincidences do happen and can mean nothing, I find myself thinking a lot lately on whether they can also be divine guidance because I had always assumed they were. I guess I am leaning away from that in this instance, but I haven't come across any scripture or talk that informs me either way.

Above what everyone else has said, I think one of the "informing" topics you should consider is what has been affected as a result of the Fall of Adam. We live in a corrupted world. As such, this is how the natural man is an enemy to God. In other words, if things aren't acted on and reversed from it's natural course it leads away from God. The test we face in this world is one in which requires action, not letting things just happen in a random way. If you ponder that aspect of our environment then I think you will come to the conclusion that things that happen randomly are mostly not from God but as a result of the Fall. Things that are done under the influence of the spirit, though, can be from God. To know which are which requires spiritual insight which is something that requires constant effort to listen to. So, automatic or natural random occurrences are likely just the nature of living in a corrupted world. That doesn't mean God cannot predict those events as "random" to us may be calculated to Him but it may very well be that the "random" nature of the world is part of His purposes as we are being tested on how far away from "random" (natural, carnal world) we can move ourselves.