Does Santa diminish Christ from Christmas?

Star_

I can’t believe I'm still up its past 2: am

Let’s begin with a foundation. And we should all come to an agreement as to the truth of the matter. 1. Do we all agree that in the first century christians, after the death of Jesus, the disciples and every one of those congregations practiced true religion free from hypocrisy or false religion? 2. did those early worshipers of (יהוה) Celebrate Christmas? 3. Did they celebrate the birth date of Jesus? 4. That Jesus spoke of a distinct time when (Ac 20:29-30) the true religion would be infiltrated by false teachers.5. And where was Santa Clause at this time?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t believe I'm still up its past 2: am

Which part of the US do you live in that it would be past 2:00 am when it's only just past 5:00 pm on the west coast?

Let’s begin with a foundation. And we should all come to an agreement as to the truth of the matter. 1. Do we all agree that in the first century christians, after the death of Jesus, the disciples and every one of those congregations practiced true religion free from hypocrisy or false religion?

I seriously doubt it. Even today, among congregations of Latter-day Saints in the restored gospel, I doubt that many are completely free from all hypocrisy or false religion. Such a standard would be difficult, and probably impossible, to achieve in our fallen world.

2. did those early worshipers of (יהוה) Celebrate Christmas?

Depends on what you mean. There was no "mass", a later Catholic invention based on Greek philosophies and moral dramas. There may have been a recognition and celebration of Jesus' birth, though I don't know how one would demonstrate such a thing short of discovering some ancient document that mentions such a celebration. The Nephites restarted their calendar numbering from the events surrounding Christ's birth, so they may have had some sort of celebration or recognition that corresponds to "Christmas", but that's conjecture. The Book of Mormon does not actually come right out and say any such thing.

3. Did they celebrate the birth date of Jesus?

See above discussion.

4. That Jesus spoke of a distinct time when (Ac 20:29-30) the true religion would be infiltrated by false teachers.

Is this supposed to be a question? Because I don't see any question.

5. And where was Santa Clause at this time?

Premortal world, I would guess. :)

Guest DeborahC

He was a Shaman.

But there also were no statues of Moroni or computers or LDS websites or LDS Temples or LDS churches then... so ???

For me, when it comes to "worship" I follow the LDS Church's teachings, and until they tell me not to celebrate Christmas with a tree and gifts and Santa, I'll continue enjoying the traditions. A bit like we still enjoy cultural events from all countries, whether or not they are "Christian."

To me, there are just so many other things that are more important to concern myself about.

Edited by DeborahC

And where was Santa Clause at this time?

He wasn't born yet.

And, on another hand... there was no electricity in 1AD, so I guess we should be all lights out today.

But really, I have no idea what you're getting at. It's like you want time to stop at 32AD and not progress at all...

Giving up all traditions rooted on paganism, would leave us pretty stark indeed.

Only three that comes to mind, christmas easter an halloween.

Not that big a fuss to give up presidents day or st pats. Candy everyday not just valentine.

Christ our only focus, to hold to the truth of the resurrection, and life eternal in Him.

Does this seem like a people would be lacking? There can be great joy in life even if we do not conform,

But seek to be transformed

So much to have revealed, so little time.

1. Jesus taught his followers only one religion, the true religion. It is like a road leading to everlasting life. Jesus said: “Few are the ones finding” that road. (Matthew 7:14) God accepts only worship based on his Word of truth. All true worshippers are united in one faith.—Read John 4:23, 24; 14:6; Ephesians 4:4, 5.

Jesus did not mix true worship with the false teachings of his day.

So true religion differs from religion that is based on men’s ideas. (Matthew 15:7-9) True worshippers do not preach one thing and practice another.—Read John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17.

Jesus’ followers are no part of this wicked world. You could recognize the early Christians by the way they took no part in the politics or social conflicts of their day. (John 17:16; 18:36) Also, they did not imitate the world’s harmful practices and attitudes.—Read James 4:4.

The early Christian’s taught directly by Jesus himself practice true worship free from the false teachings of their day.

Personally, I do not like the idea of santa at all. Santa focuses on the commercial aspect of christmas instead of the religoius aspect. It distracts from the true meaning of Christmas.

One of my co-workers chose to not do the santa thing with her kids. I actually really liked that idea. In addition to solely focusing on the religious aspect, they did not want to lie to their kids. They told their kids presents came from them, not santa. If the kids were ever asked they would reply saying "my parents give me presents".

Any thoughts?

I have always told my kids that the gifts come from their hard-working parents and other family members. I never wanted to lie to my kids about things like Santa, Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny. I was afraid that when they found out that I lied about those characters that they would think I made up religion too.

So, I always told them the truth. But I allowed them to still choose to believe in those things if they wanted to, and to NEVER tell other children who believed that it wasn't true.

I still believe in Loch Ness and Big Foot, so who am I to burst anybody else's bubble? :lol:

In our home at Christmas the focus is Christ. One year we had no tree, no lights, and no decorations. We discovered that we still had the Spirit and we were still celebrating Christ without any of it.

This year, I covered anything that didn't move in the front yard with lights! Guess what? We still had the Spirit and we still focused on Christ.

By the way, the Easter Bunny bothers me WAY more than Santa. What does a bunny have to do with the Savior's death and resurrection? And why are we celebrating a rabbit that goes around stealing eggs and then hiding them? :huh:

2. We live in what is called the information age. Over 2,500 yr. ago in the city of Babylon, Daniel prophesied that our age would contain another sort of information, or knowledge, he pinned “and knowledge shall be increased.”- (Da. 12:4). Daniel prophesied that in our day the Truth would become abundant. On Page 219 of The Oxford Dictionary of World Religions it states: “the Christian feast of Jesus’ birth, celebrated on 25 of December. Its observance is first attested in Rome in 336.” The date was chosen to oppose the Roman custom of the feast day or birth day of the sun, or Sol Invictus. For over two centuries after Christ’s birth no one knew or cared exactly when he was born. The World Book Encyclopedia says, the early Christians “considered the celebration of anyone’s birth to be a pagan custom.” So even if Jesus followers knew his exact birth date, The Truth is, they would not have observed it. (Here is the online version (Erin Housing)) Christmas was even outlawed in later ages. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Disc_Sol_BM_GR1899.12-1.2.jpg looks like the Statue of Liberty, coincidence?

***deleted picture by moderator**** Wayyyy too big.

Edited by Everliving
Inserting image of ancient Roman coin

I like February. My birthday, along with so many other family members, is in February.

I like celebrating. I think humans, in general, like festivity. Maybe we are all just pagans at heart. :D

However, let's just be honest with the truth of our desires and our nature. Let's have fun just to have fun. Let's not make sacred cows out of things that are really just another way for us to get together, eat, communicate, and socialize.

That's just my thinking. I have no problem with any holiday...as long as we just admit to the real reason why we are celebrating.

Because when it comes to Christ, the greatest honor we could ever do him, is to come unto him every day.

No celebration can ever come close to being as important as a person who has had a total change of heart and is living as Christ lived.

~TG