Disposing of worn out Garments.

circusboy01

To dispose of worn-out temple garments, members should cut out and destroy the marks. Members then cut up the remaining fabric so it cannot be identified as a garment. Once the marks are removed, the fabric is not considered sacred.

To dispose of worn-out temple ceremonial clothing, members should destroy the clothing by cutting it up so the original use cannot be recognized.

CHI 21.1.42

I know you have to cut off all the symbols, but, that's about all I know. Is there a special procedure for disposing of the symbols once they have been cut off. Thanks Brother Ray

Cut out the symbols and then cut up the symbols. Its easiest. I also cut up the garments so they don't look like clothing. OR... if we have a fire outside I burn them without cutting anything up. As has been mentioned its ok to burn the symbols you've cut out.

Either way is appropriate.

Thank you all. I originally thought about cutting the symbols up into tiny tiny pieces. But first I wanted to make sure it was the proper thing to do.

Didn't know about cutting up the Garments themselves though. I thought once the symbols were removed. You could do anything you wanted to with the rest. Like use them for dust rags or whatever. Needless to say I will be cutting them up.

Thank you all. I originally thought about cutting the symbols up into tiny tiny pieces. But first I wanted to make sure it was the proper thing to do.

Didn't know about cutting up the Garments themselves though. I thought once the symbols were removed. You could do anything you wanted to with the rest. Like use them for dust rags or whatever. Needless to say I will be cutting them up.

Once the symbols are removed the rest is just like any other fabric or garment of clothing. Use them for dust rags if you want.

Use them for dust rags if you want.

Dri-silque make worthless dust rags :D - Only had one pair that I needed to retire though. Mine are nearly 10 years old and still are looking good! I have had to go up a size (or two), but I just "hand them down" to my SIL who is endowed also, and who is smaller than me.

Husbands cotton ones though they do get thin over time. Before we married he was using liquid bleach in the wash water (BIG NO NO) - so that yellowed them some. I cut out the backs of the tops and use them for rags. They are wonderful to use for hankies when I have a cold. Soft - oh so soft!