Photo
- - - - -

Asking non-temple worthy elder to participate in baby blessing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 5877 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yes, this is total way-too-in-advance planning, but I was thinking about it after leaving the doctor's this morning.

I believe I have mentioned a certain young man who is connected to my family. He is currently not temple worthy nor will be for about another half a year. I truly adore this kid and really really want Husband to have him in the circle for the baby blessing.

I am assuming he can participate despite not having a temple recommend. BUT I would like to have that clarified so months down the road we don't have an awkward situation. Because I think asking someone to participate that can't participate would be, well, awkward.

Am I safe to go through with my intentions?

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#2 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yes, this is total way-too-in-advance planning, but I was thinking about it after leaving the doctor's this morning.

I believe I have mentioned a certain young man who is connected to my family. He is currently not temple worthy nor will be for about another half a year. I truly adore this kid and really really want Husband to have him in the circle for the baby blessing.

I am assuming he can participate despite not having a temple recommend. BUT I would like to have that clarified so months down the road we don't have an awkward situation. Because I think asking someone to participate that can't participate would be, well, awkward.

Such ordinances are performed under the auspices of the presiding authority, usually the bishop. He needs to approve such participation. My bishops have actually asked me to have my male relatives bring their current temple recommend to the blessings. The bishop may indeed approve a non-temple-recommend-worthy brother to participate; that would be his call.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#3 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 12975 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

This is what the CHI says about worthiness:

Worthiness to Participate in an Ordinance or Blessing

Only a Melchizedek Priesthood holder who is worthy to hold a temple recommend may act as voice in confirming a person a member of the Church, conferring the Melchizedek Priesthood, ordaining a person to an office in that priesthood, or setting apart a person to serve in a Church calling.

As guided by the Spirit and the instructions in the next paragraph, bishops and stake presidents have discretion to allow priesthood holders who are not fully temple worthy to perform or participate in some ordinances and blessings. However, presiding officers should not allow such participation if a priesthood holder has unresolved serious sins.

A bishop may allow a father who holds the Melchizedek Priesthood to name and bless his children even if the father is not fully temple worthy. Likewise, a bishop may allow a father who is a priest or Melchizedek Priesthood holder to baptize his children or to ordain his sons to offices in the Aaronic Priesthood. A Melchizedek Priesthood holder in similar circumstances may be allowed to stand in the circle for the confirmation of his children, for the conferral of the Melchizedek Priesthood on his sons, or for the setting apart of his wife or children. However, he may not act as voice.

Link: Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings*

I'm not sure I'd make the assumption that he would be allowed, as it looks like the exceptions are aimed at fathers and husbands. It is possible that due to his unique circumstances that the individual in question may be able to participate but I would certainly discuss it with both your Bishop and his (assuming they are different) as opposed to assuming.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#4 JayJ

JayJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yes, it could be possible, especially if the person involved was the father of the child. But simply put, as Vort mentioned above, you need to ask the Bishop seeing as he presides.

By the way, congratulations!

#5 MarginOfError

MarginOfError

Lord of the Gummi Snacks

• Members
  • 5827 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

And if this brother isn't in your ward, he will may want to ask his bishop to give him a "Recommend to Perform an Ordinance." Technically speaking, this is only necessary if he will be acting as voice, but if he were to obtain one, it would be a good signal that his bishop considers him worthy to participate in the ordinance.

If you don't want to go that route, you could have your bishop speak privately to his bishop to inquire about the worthiness status.

Dude. When both Vort and MOE are in agreement, the thinking has been done. :D

Uncommon Dissent

#6 classylady

classylady

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

I wonder what "not fully temple worthy" means? My son, who is an Elder has blessed his babies, and done baptisms, and I guess would be considered not fully temple worthy. He and his wife have not been to the temple, but are working towards it.

#7 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

I wonder what "not fully temple worthy" means? My son, who is an Elder has blessed his babies, and done baptisms, and I guess would be considered not fully temple worthy. He and his wife have not been to the temple, but are working towards it.

Not worthy simply because he hasn't been yet, or not worthy because he's not worthy?
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#8 classylady

classylady

• Members
  • 1413 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

For my son, maybe a little of both. He's taken care of past transgressions, but he's on the road so much because of his job, he can't always attend church.

#9 mnn727

mnn727

• Members
  • 2232 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Yes, he can, but if he is not a member of your ward you will need to co-ordinate through your Bishop and his

#10 PaPa

PaPa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

There are a number of things that word keep someone from the Temple that would not exclude someone from the Temple that would not exclude him from this...prayer.

#11 kshRox

kshRox

• Moderation Queue
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

You might want to check with the Bishop, but many people I know don't have temple recommends yet participate in blessings and other activities.

#12 PaPa

PaPa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

As before...when in doubt; invite. Good luck with the calling.

#13 annewandering

annewandering

• Members
  • 4294 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I would ask him. Even if it turns out he can not he knows you wanted him to be there. There is nothing like not being asked because people consider you unworthy. It is painful. And insulting.

#14 tigerforjesus

tigerforjesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

hi brother

im strong follower of jesus christ

i love to read BOM well

i need some good LDS friend

thank you

maheshwaran:(

#15 Anddenex

Anddenex

• Registered Users
  • 2747 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Vort's and Dravin's initial responses actually provide an answer for your question as well. It is the Bishop of each ward, who holds presiding authority and keys, that determines the worthiness of the Elder.

I find it interesting that a question which is being directed toward Bishops and Stake Presidents is, "Is the Elder/Father worthy enough"?

I have seen Bishop's authorize a father who is working on his way to becoming temple worthy to bless their children. I have seen a person/father baptize his child that I have thought, really? He is worthy .... worthy enough??? However, the Bishop is the one who holds the keys to make such a decision, not mine, and my thoughts really don't matter.

It is the Bishop's decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq