Worried About College

qrich4567

I'm a senior in High School and I live in a very small town in Wyoming. My family has always been poor and I've been expected to pay for college myself by getting scholarships. My grades are good and so I should be getting good scholarship offers. I thought that I had decided where I wanted to go to school. That I would stay close to home and go to the community college in the neighboring town just 30 miles away. This school has a small tuition and I should be able to afford it with scholarships. However, it is now January and I sent in my application almost 4 months ago. I haven't heard back from this school about an acceptance letter or any scholarship offers. Neither of my parents know what we need to do to complete scholarship applications or do any of the paperwork so I am starting to get worried about whether or not I'm going to be able to go to school. The other day I received a letter in the mail with a scholarship offer to a large school in Nebraska. It was a full years tuition which leaves me questioning my plan I had and what I want to do. I have never felt so confused in my life. I have gone to my patriarchal blessing in search of answers to questions about my future specifically about my education and have come up empty. I feel so lost and I don't know where to turn. Does anybody have any ideas about what I can do? I don't feel like I can talk to my parents because they haven't had to do this process before and every time I try to talk to them I feel like they shut me out. What do I do?

I don't feel like I can talk to my parents because they haven't had to do this process before

That's a poor excuse. If there's something you don't know, you all need to find out.

and every time I try to talk to them I feel like they shut me out. What do I do?

That's the problem right there.

Are your parents going through a tough financial time right now? They probably don't want to even THINK about the costs of a college education. Have some empathy for them, but be sure you can talk to them as well.

You may want to consider asking for a priesthood blessing from your father or home teacher.

As far as your application to the local community college, you need to CALL them or stop by and find out your status. You are the student, so you can do this. No one else can or will do this for you.

For your scholarship offer, you need to find out what it entails, what is included and what it takes to keep it. You didn't specify if it would cover all 4 years of college, or just 1 year.

Have you begun your FAFSA? This is usually the first place to start to get information on certain grants and eligibility for student loans.

Home - FAFSA on the Web-Federal Student Aid

That's For your scholarship offer, you need to find out what it entails, what is included and what it takes to keep it. You didn't specify if it would cover all 4 years of college, or just 1 year.

Well in the OP it did state it would cover a full years tuition. So I was assuming that meant 1 year.

What kind of school in Nebraska? Some proprietary schools use a 'scholarship' offer to lure you in, then the game changes once you get there.

I'm sure your school has a guidance counselor, you can always ask him/her for help. You should call the CC yourself, tho, and find out what's going on.

I have been praying really hard about this and I just got this prompting that I should look in this drawer in my desk where I keep various papers and such. When I rummaged through them I found one sheet of paper I forgot to send into the community college. I quickly filled it out and put it in the mail. I am still praying about my decisions and choices for which schools to attend and I have started my fatwa and discovered some more scholarships. I truley feel that without the lords help I wouldn't have been able to make it through this or known to look In that drawer.

Heavenly Father knows what we need, before we ask. I have 3 Nephews and 1 niece at BYU Idaho. There are many Financial Aids/Grants/etc. availible. Contact BYU Idaho. If you like online courses, there is a new program called Pathway. This is a online program threw BYU Idaho. A 4-year degree costs about $7,000. After 1 year you are a full student and can attend the campus if you like. :)

I'm a senior in High School and I live in a very small town in Wyoming. My family has always been poor and I've been expected to pay for college myself by getting scholarships. My grades are good and so I should be getting good scholarship offers. I thought that I had decided where I wanted to go to school. That I would stay close to home and go to the community college in the neighboring town just 30 miles away. This school has a small tuition and I should be able to afford it with scholarships. However, it is now January and I sent in my application almost 4 months ago. I haven't heard back from this school about an acceptance letter or any scholarship offers. Neither of my parents know what we need to do to complete scholarship applications or do any of the paperwork so I am starting to get worried about whether or not I'm going to be able to go to school. The other day I received a letter in the mail with a scholarship offer to a large school in Nebraska. It was a full years tuition which leaves me questioning my plan I had and what I want to do. I have never felt so confused in my life. I have gone to my patriarchal blessing in search of answers to questions about my future specifically about my education and have come up empty. I feel so lost and I don't know where to turn. Does anybody have any ideas about what I can do? I don't feel like I can talk to my parents because they haven't had to do this process before and every time I try to talk to them I feel like they shut me out. What do I do?

Pray. I am in the same situation. No clue what school I want to go to and I don't have long to decide. I am going back and for between BYU-I, LDSBC, or some other college. Its difficult! I would pray and maybe fast. I am getting loans to pay for college because I too am on my own.

Community colleges are pretty much open enrollment, so admission decisions probably only take a few days to process. One novel idea is to call the admissions office on the phone and ask if your application has been received and is complete! You can probably find out within 10 minutes where you stand.

As far as worrying about college costs, I'd advise applying to a few schools to open up your options. You might find out that you have scholarship offers to other schools and even pell grants to pay for your first year. If there is a shortfall on living expenses, you can either find a part-time job or take out a student loan. This has been done by millions of students even ones that don't have familial support. It's sometimes scary to step into the unknown, but you'll gain experience and be wiser if you are willing to take some risks in life.