A Non Violent Reading of the Book of Mormon

skalenfehl

Excellent observations!

Session 1 - Joshua Madson, "A Nonviolent Reading of the Book of Mormon" on Vimeo

I'm going to add my own two cents in light of his speech, because I have also studied the wars and their causes. Obviously it began with Nephi, but I am only going to add that Nephi did not just leave Jerusalem and travel in a wilderness for eight years, build a ship, cross and ocean just to allow himself and his family to fall victim to his brothers' murderous intentions as the Anti-Nephi-Lehis did later on. Had he been this kind of a pacifist, he may as well have done it back at Jerusalem, save everyone a lot of heartache and let his brothers return to be destroyed. There would have been no point in fleeing destruction.

Furthermore, D&C 98 tells us that the Lord essentially justified Nephi in his actions. There is no doubt that he tried and tried and tried.

....31 Nevertheless, thine enemy is in thine hands; and if thou rewardest him according to his works thou art justified; if he has sought thy life, and thy life is endangered by him, thine enemy is in thine hands and thou art justified.

32 Behold, this is the law I gave unto my servant Nephi, and thy fathers, Joseph, and Jacob, and Isaac, and Abraham, and all mine ancient prophets and apostles.....

I highly recommend reading Section 98:

Doctrine and Covenants 98Â*