What was used for bread?

My MIL once talked about how bread was a luxury for her family during WW2. And that there was actually a time when there was no bread, and my husband's grandfather stole and hid bread to feed their large family of 14 people. They are from Holland.

What was used for sacrament bread in areas where there was none? Just curious.

Good afternoon Bini. I hope you've been happy and healthy! :)

I thought you might find this scripture helpful in answering your question:

"For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins" (D&C 27:2).

Regards,

Finrock

• 1 month later...

One time at my church, they forgot the bread, so they went into the kitchen, in the church, and brought out some hamburger buns.

I have heard that in WW2 where members of the church, while fighting in Germany, used scrapes of paper, or crackers, or something else, which leaves me the question, “Do you say in the Sacrament prayer of the bread, ‘… bless and sanctify this bread…’ or substitute the word ‘bread’ for crackers, paper, or whatever your using?”

Guest DeborahC

Hi Pam.

I was just curious if changing the wording would make a difference to Gwen and if so, why or why not, and what led her to the discussion question.

I guess you discussed this with her already?

Edited by DeborahC

I asked because rayhale asked in post #4 if one would change the wording. And then in post #5 they said they had been in meetings where rice cakes were used instead. So I was curious what was done when they saw something different used. Had they already answered their own question and not realized it?

lol in my opinion it really doesn't matter what you use but the prayer would stay the same. Being an ordinance it must be done "right" every time. If the priesthood holder saying the prayer misses a word or something they have to do it over. It's not assumed that "God knew what they meant". The prayer matters. However, what is used not so much. It's symbolic and if bread or water is not available then the lord expects us to do what we can. Doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Well when using water we change the word "wine" for the word "water", thus one would assume it would be appropriate to change the word "bread' to "potatoes" or "crackers" or whatever it was you were using for the ordinance. yes?

That's my thinking. I'd probably avoid saying something like, "this Nabisco® Ritz crackers", but I'd change it to crackers, rice cakes, even soda if one was in a position where you needed to use some 7-Up. Of course any thinking on what I'd say takes a backseat to any instruction from the Bishop in choice of wording.

That's my thinking. I'd probably avoid saying something like, "this Nabisco® Ritz crackers", but I'd change it to crackers, rice cakes, even soda if one was in a position where you needed to use some 7-Up. Of course any thinking on what I'd say takes a backseat to any instruction from the Bishop in choice of wording.

Well, most beverages are still mainly water, and I'd still consider crackers a form of bread anyway. (After all, they're fairly similar to the communion wafers many other churches use, and AFAIK, most refer to them as "bread" in the prayers.)

Hidden

Well when using water we change the word "wine" for the word "water", thus one would assume it would be appropriate to change the word "bread' to "potatoes" or "crackers" or whatever it was you were using for the ordinance. yes?

Well they mixed the regular bread with rice cakes, and told the members that the rice cakes were for people with allergies, so the answer would be no, they didn’t change the word ‘bread’ for ‘rice’.