Atonement question

pooter1

If the atonement was about jesus atoning for our sins then how does he know how it feels to have depression or mental disability?Having depression is not a sin so this is something he did not feel in the garden? Was it just the sins in the garden of gethsemane? Ive got know if he knows how I feel living with depression and an anxiety disorder.

The scriptures teach us that Christ descended below all thngs (D&C 122). He suffered for all our infirmities (Alma 7). On the cross, he was completely abandoned by the Father, so he would have to suffer the terrors of crucifixion and the atonement alone (My God, why hast thou forsaken me?).

He understands anxiety and mental disorders. He's suffered worse than we have, or we can even imagine. He knows how to help you with your struggles. He may not take them away in this life, but allow you to deal with them, so you can then understand the struggles of others and perhaps help them, as well.

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

It's not just sin.

Edited by Dravin

Hidden

11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

There ya go.

Guest DeborahC

I imagine Jesus felt depressed when he tried so hard to teach people the right way to go, when he knew the consequences, and when people laughed and mocked him. That would sure depress me!

I have on occasion wondered how Christ could feel the same things that I, as a woman, have felt. I'll talk generally here, and not specifics, but, for example, I can agonize and be heartbroken over certain events, that my husband is able to compartmentalize, and go on about his life and not let it overcome him. Whereas, I'm nearly devastated by it, and yes I can go on about my life, but for me, it's not compartmentalized, but integrated and everything is emotionally linked. I just need to trust that the atonement really will take care of all hurts.