An Angry and Contentious Woman

Tough Grits

Proverbs 21:19

It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.

Okay. Let me explain a few things here...

First off, I agree with this scripture. It IS better for a man to go live in the wilderness than to live with an angry or contentious woman.

Second, maybe man should STAY in the wilderness once he gets there.

Third, why doesn't this scripture expound upon WHY the woman is angry and/or contentious?

Indeed. Maybe the man is in the wilderness because the man did or said something to get himself thrust out of his little tent.

And while we are at it, maybe the scripture should expound further as to whether the CHILDREN got kicked out of the tent as well.

Because if it is better for man to live in the wilderness when the woman is angry and contentious, then shouldn't "man" take the kids with him?

Wouldn't the children have played a role in the woman's anger as well as the man???

Maybe the children and the man should just pitch a permanent tent out in the wilderness and make it a home-away-from-home, so that every time they anger the main woman of the house...er, tent...they can then go straight to their time-out tent in the wilderness.

Indeed. :lol:

What say you? ^_^

It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.

First off, I agree with this scripture. It IS better for a man to go live in the wilderness than to live with an angry or contentious woman.

Third, why doesn't this scripture expound upon WHY the woman is angry and/or contentious?

Indeed. Maybe the man is in the wilderness because the man did or said something to get himself thrust out of his little tent.

And while we are at it, maybe the scripture should expound further as to whether the CHILDREN got kicked out of the tent as well.

Because if it is better for man to live in the wilderness when the woman is angry and contentious, then shouldn't "man" take the kids with him?

Wouldn't the children have played a role in the woman's anger as well as the man???

Maybe the children and the man should just pitch a permanent tent out in the wilderness and make it a home-away-from-home, so that every time they anger the main woman of the house...er, tent...they can then go straight to their time-out tent in the wilderness.

Indeed. :lol:

What say you? ^_^

I believe you have missed the symbolism. Living in the wilderness is in essence loosing civilization. It is the end of civilization. The parable is more about women than men. :D

The Traveler

There went out an irrevocable decree:

When moma's not happy,... NOBODY's happy!

May I also add...

It has also been my experience that I didn't even do anything that moment, day, week, month or since the last leap year!

When I return home after this year in the Middle East, I'm building a 12' high 12'x16' barn style shed to replace the tent.

I think the parable is not referencing the occasional anger of a woman, but of the woman who is always angry. I think of Kate in the Taming of the Shrew as an example. Few men (Richard Burton is the only one I can think of at the moment) could ever hope to have a productive marriage with such a woman.

Of course, an angry man is just as difficult for the woman, and so we have the Law of Moses to manage the temper of the angry man (eye for an eye, etc.)

I agree also.

I think he should only come back when he is hungry, or to continue to multiply and replenish the earth. ;)... assuming she is still angry. If she isn't angry, then he should come back. She should apologize

/duck and cover

Then this scripture definitely allows men and women to apply Nephi's words and liken all scriptures unto ourselves -- thus allowing us to ask -- why was she angry?

He probably forgot to take off his shoes when he entered the tent.

He probably let her change one to many diapers (cloths) without changing one himself.

He might have love tapped her buttox a little to hard.

He possibly may have answered her question honestly when she asked if her tunic made her look fat?

They probably were. Or the children took notice, when dad flees to the wilderness -- the children follow -- Mom's on a rampage.

Probably one of those unspoken common sense phrases which didn't need to be said back then.:D

Depends on whether or not her anger is directed toward the husband or both. If directed at both, then yes the kids should flee to the wilderness also.

Sometimes getting hit with high heels (sandals back then) isn't very comfortable. :P

Already have one, it is called the "gym" at church.

I thoroughly enjoyed your witty post. :lol:

Edited by Anddenex

The New Testament has some useful points also:

"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands are chains: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her" Ecc 7:26

That must be that new Bible edition that includes Ecclesiastes in the New Testament. I need to get ahold of one of those.

I want to go live in the wilderness.

aka: I want hubby to build a bungalow out back in the trees. The trees out back have paths through them and my grandson calls it the wilderness because he can't see the house from back there. LOL

We have more trees on our property than we do clear land. The only clear spot is right around our house. Anyway, son comes in one day and says he found a "meadow" in the middle of our forest to the right of our house.

So, he and I get our boots on and head outside for a trek in the trees (through Georgia vines with thorns and blackberry bushes with thorns).

Finally, he tells me we have reached the "meadow".

<sigh>

It was a patch of ground with no vines or bushes about 2ft. x 2ft.

Around here (the south) we say, "Bless your heart", when what we really mean is..."Seriously? I got my boots on for this?" :lol:

Anyway, I have told my husband and children that they can go live in the "meadow" any time they want! LOL