Appropriate Music in Church

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4889 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Appropriate music in sacrament meeting doesn't seem to be a black or white issue and it's hard to tell sometimes when you have crossed the line, but let's say the choir director chooses a song that seems quite a bit over the line and makes the majority of the choir uncomfortable.

Do you tell the director yourself in private? Or maybe during choir?

Do you contact a bishopric member and ask them to check it out?

Or do you sit back and watch with morbid curiosity to see if it actually happens?

#2 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I definitely wouldn't put them on the spot in front of the entire choir. Perhaps a conversation with the director privately.

#3 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4889 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Yes, on one hand, you don't want to embarrass them. On the other, you want the awkward experience to stop as soon as humanly possible when almost everyone is visibly uncomfortable.

#4 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Maybe a couple of you together could talk privately with the Bishop. Then it doesn't seem like it's just one person that is uncomfortable.

#5 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6207 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

Our ward music coordinator is in charge of determining what's appropriate, so in my ward anyway, that would be the person to go to.
Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#6 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4889 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Our ward music coordinator is in charge of determining what's appropriate, so in my ward anyway, that would be the person to go to.

That works as long as the choir director isn't also the music chairman. :D

#7 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6207 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

I've never come across that on a ward level. Stake, yes, but not ward. Our music coordinator just nixed one of our songs (I'm accompanist for the choir), but the director and I both respect that it's her responsibility to do so.
Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#8 Jenamarie

Jenamarie

I am glad for many things.

• Members
  • 2203 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

I thought there had been a statement from Church Headquarters that we were to stick with songs from the hymnbook anyway for Sacrament meeting? Or am I wrong?
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

#9 BadWolf

BadWolf

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Given that I have almost nonexistent impulse control...

I'm the person going

"We're singing this on SUNDAY???? Really? Oh, wait, is this for an outside of church event?"

The moment the sheet music is handed out (or we're done singing it).

Open mouth, words fall out.

The upside to this process is that people are rarely offended/embarrassed... Because its really guile-free / awe inspired sounding. I've actually had probably as many "Blink Blink. Yikes!!! Good point!" As "ROFL... This is for the RETIREMENT home thing, remember!??" And "I spoke with the bishopric and we decided we really wanted to expand on our blah blah blah"

((Aka
Option 1 - Whoops. Good Save
Option 2 - Are you nuts? This is for something entirely different that is totally appropriate in that setting.
Option 3 - An intentional envelope push with approval from on high

There's also option 4 - envelope push without approval, but that's never been my experience in church. Mostly at work. ))

If I DIDN'T blurt out?

I'd talk with OTHERS first (to see if I felt the same or of I'm an outlier). If others ft the same or not, Id talk with the choir director in private. Then their boss. Then the boss's bosses, etc. On up the chain.

I'm fond of 'the blurt', personally.
It used to embarrass me no end, but now, it just saves so much time / red tape / hurt feelings... That Ive grown to love it.

Not saying my options (blurt out or private and up the chain of command) is right. But since you asked what we'd do... That's what I do :) Aaaaaaand the usual results of such action!

#10 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I've never come across that on a ward level. Stake, yes, but not ward. Our music coordinator just nixed one of our songs (I'm accompanist for the choir), but the director and I both respect that it's her responsibility to do so.

When I was growing up, my mom was everything to do with music. Ward organist, ward music chairman, choir director. Mainly because there just wasn't anyone else.

#11 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6207 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'm fond of 'the blurt', personally.
It used to embarrass me no end, but now, it just saves so much time / red tape / hurt feelings... That Ive grown to love it.

Having experience with a couple of "blurters" in my life, I can promise you that this is not the case. You may not perceive hurt feelings, but they are there. People just don't want to make a scene so they act like it's okay, and nurse their hurt feelings later. It's rude and disrespectful to put people on the spot like that. The kind and respectful thing is to talk to people in private, not humiliate them in public.

#12 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49859 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Perhaps the choir director didn't see when the music was chosen that it could be taken in anyway offensive. That's why I'm all for the quiet approach. What might be offensive to one may not be to another.

#13 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I thought there had been a statement from Church Headquarters that we were to stick with songs from the hymnbook anyway for Sacrament meeting? Or am I wrong?

Not quite, but close.

The hymns are the basic music for worship services and are standard for all congregational singing. In addition, other appropriate selections may be used for prelude and postlude music, choir music, and special musical presentations. If musical selections other than the hymns are used, they should be in keeping with the spirit of the hymns. Texts should be doctrinally correct.

CHI 14.4.2
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#14 BadWolf

BadWolf

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Having experience with a couple of "blurters" in my life, I can promise you that this is not the case. You may not perceive hurt feelings, but they are there. People just don't want to make a scene so they act like it's okay, and nurse their hurt feelings later. It's rude and disrespectful to put people on the spot like that. The kind and respectful thing is to talk to people in private, not humiliate them in public.

This may be so.... But back when I used to come up and apologize, it almost universally resulted in them pitching their voices to 'crowd level' and shouting

"Hey, everyone! I just wanted to underscore that if you've got a question, ASK me! Its almost never just you, and other people benefit from the answer as well!" And then dropping down to normal levels, patting me on the shoulder and laughing, asking me if that answered my question? Aka no need to apologize.

There's definitely times/places where questioning a superior is the WRONG thing to do (usually whenever there are 3 levels in the room... Like patient/nurse/doctor, or sgt/gunny/lieutenant).

But in bi-level groups: professor & students, choir director & choir, etc.? I've found open discourse from the get go DOES save hurt feelings. Instead of the 'serious sit down' (which makes people feel unapproachable or as if everyone is too afraid of them or doesn't respect them), usually followed by a general announcement next session.... And a lot of time wasted having to talk about an 'issue' which became this very serious thing, which could have been dealt with quickly and directly.

Like I said... I could be wrong... But I certainly hope people aren't lying to everyone about the standards of behavior they prefer and then going home nursing secret grudges!!!

#15 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

So in this hypothetical situation, what did you do, MorningStar?
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#16 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10203 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Lol.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#17 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4889 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh, it's definitely hypothetical! I'm 67% sure it's hypothetical and mostly sure we were not asked to sing Gospel music that involves "lifting our hands to Jesus". Can you imagine? Singing with our arms by our sides like we always do while singing about lifting our hands to Jesus?

#18 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8334 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

What's wrong with that lyric? Are you saying that your choir director wanted you to actually lift hands up?

Don't we teach the primary kids to do hand things when singing? What's the difference?
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#19 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Oh, it's definitely hypothetical! I'm 67% sure it's hypothetical and mostly sure we were not asked to sing Gospel music that involves "lifting our hands to Jesus". Can you imagine? Singing with our arms by our sides like we always do while singing about lifting our hands to Jesus?

Hypothetically, I would have been looking downward during much of the performance, so I may have missed that.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#20 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4889 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

The songs are supposed to be hymns or hymnlike. We can sing hymns from other churches as long as they are doctrinally correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq