Photo
- - - - -

Are a merit badge counselors a ward/stake calling for you?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6343 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I'm noticing this little trend where being a merit badge counselor is actually now a calling... anyone seeing that in their wards/stakes?

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#2 BenRaines

BenRaines

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 5505 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I have never seen it as a calling in 30 yrs of LDS Scouting but I have seen callings that are not official callings extended. Ben Raines
"If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts he shall end in certainties." Sir Francis Bacon

#3 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 1165 posts
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Not in my area. I am a merit badge counselor for the chess merit badge. Since it is fairly new, they did it a chess clinic and I got to share my love of chess with about 60 scouts. I was thrilled. But no it isn't a calling.

#4 Sharky

Sharky

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Not an "Official" Calling, not yet anyway. The trend we are having is taht we have many qualified individuals for numerous of the merit badges; however, few are willing to voluntarily volunteer. Those that do are frequently counselors for several merit badges. We have found ourselves having to casually approach people and asking them to be a merit badge counselor for 1 or 2 very specific merit badges. That worked okay for a couple years but in the past 12-months it just hasn't been. We've talked withn a few people about their experience & reasons why they don't want to be a counselor etc & a lot of it comes down to lack of time & lack of self confidence to work within the BSA program ....

#5 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10575 posts
  • LocationSeattle area
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Like BenRaines, I have never seen such a thing in all my time in the Church, and I just turned 50.

As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.
Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#6 Backroads

Backroads

Girl outside with book.

• Members
  • 6343 posts
  • LocationOgden, Utah
  • ReligionLDS

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

We have found ourselves having to casually approach people and asking them to be a merit badge counselor for 1 or 2 very specific merit badges.

I wonder if that's what I'm seeing. Only the people bringing in the counselors' paperwork act like they were callings they've asked them to do.

Eh, I guess I'm getting an impression that doesn't properly reflect what is actually happening.

Though every now and then I do get the panicked question of "I can't see the merit badge counselors on the troop roster!"

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

#7 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5885 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I'm only seen it happen when there is a specific merit badge needed and no counselors for that merit badge. I also have only seen it happen in one ward (in Bountiful).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq