Are a merit badge counselors a ward/stake calling for you?

Guest LiterateParakeet

Not in my area.

I am a merit badge counselor for the chess merit badge. Since it is fairly new, they did it a chess clinic and I got to share my love of chess with about 60 scouts. I was thrilled.

But no it isn't a calling.

Not an "Official" Calling, not yet anyway.

The trend we are having is taht we have many qualified individuals for numerous of the merit badges; however, few are willing to voluntarily volunteer.

Those that do are frequently counselors for several merit badges.

We have found ourselves having to casually approach people and asking them to be a merit badge counselor for 1 or 2 very specific merit badges. That worked okay for a couple years but in the past 12-months it just hasn't been.

We've talked withn a few people about their experience & reasons why they don't want to be a counselor etc & a lot of it comes down to lack of time & lack of self confidence to work within the BSA program ....

We have found ourselves having to casually approach people and asking them to be a merit badge counselor for 1 or 2 very specific merit badges.

I wonder if that's what I'm seeing. Only the people bringing in the counselors' paperwork act like they were callings they've asked them to do.

Eh, I guess I'm getting an impression that doesn't properly reflect what is actually happening.

Though every now and then I do get the panicked question of "I can't see the merit badge counselors on the troop roster!"