Caring for Temple Ceremonial Clothing

circusboy01

Can someone please tell me the proper way to clean my Temple Garments? I can just use the washing machine for the pants and shirt. But what about the sash apron and robe?

I have a pleated robe. Will the pleats come out straight if I use the washing machine? Can I use the dryer? What setting? I have no clothe line. Would it be okay to drape it over the shower curtain rod to dry?

Can I take it to the cleaners? Or, do I have to keep it from their sight? Thanks Brother Ray

Edited by circusboy01

Never wash anything other than your shirt, pants and socks in a machine. They will fall apart. Hand wash using a very mild soap,push and squeeze in the soapy water, do not wring, squeeze the soapy water out. Rinse well, squeeze the water out, then place on a large towel, roll up and push on the roll to get even more of the water out.

Fold each item and hang on a separate hanger in the shower to dry. Don't drape over the shower rod- often there is grime that will transfer from the rod to your clothes. Use hangers and hang them from the shower rod. It was recommended to me to gather up three folds of the robe and using a straight pin, pinning them together at the hem. Do this until all the folds are gathered, pulling the folds down and straightening them out. Allow to air dry in the shower. Do not take to the dry cleaners. Do not put anything other than the shirt, pants and socks in the dryer.

You really do not need to launder these items except for once every 5 years or longer. Not unless they get musty from being in a carry bag. I have had mine for 11 years and never have had a need to launder them. My dress yes, after every three or 4 times I have worn it. That is because it is always way to hot in the Temples for me and I end up perspiring so much.

NEVER, NEVER Iron nylon or rayon. It will melt.

Edited by Iggy

Never wash anything other than your shirt, pants and socks in a machine. They will fall apart. Hand wash using a very mild soap,push and squeeze in the soapy water, do not wring, squeeze the soapy water out. Rinse well, squeeze the water out, then place on a large towel, roll up and push on the roll to get even more of the water out.

Fold each item and hang on a separate hanger in the shower to dry. Don't drape over the shower rod- often there is grime that will transfer from the rod to your clothes. Use hangers and hang them from the shower rod. It was recommended to me to gather up three folds of the robe and using a straight pin, pinning them together at the hem. Do this until all the folds are gathered, pulling the folds down and straightening them out. Allow to air dry in the shower. Do not take to the dry cleaners. Do not put anything other than the shirt, pants and socks in the dryer.

You really do not need to launder these items except for once every 5 years or longer. Not unless they get musty from being in a carry bag. I have had mine for 11 years and never have had a need to launder them. My dress yes, after every three or 4 times I have worn it. That is because it is always way to hot in the Temples for me and I end up perspiring so much.

Thank you very much. Got my Garments in 1999 this will be the first time I have washed them.

To keep from the aforementioned mustiness, I've heard this trick from reliable sources: Keep a dryer sheet or a rag with a few drops of essential oil in your temple bag.

I think I'll try that. I've heard of putting dryer sheets in dresser drawers. I've no idea what essential oil is. ;-)

Edited by circusboy01

I think I'll try that. I've heard of putting dryer sheets in dresser drawers. I've no idea what essential oil is. ;-)

Be cautious with essential oils- they are oils and can stain clothes. Another way to keep from mustiness is to take out of the traveling bag and hang in the closet.

My best friend in Church stored their Temple clothes in their travel bags in the garage. Whewie did they get moldy and stinky. NOTHING she did got them clean.

Also when hanging in the closet, protect the neckline and shoulders with a portion of old sheet. The light from your closet can turn the white to yellow.

Be cautious with essential oils- they are oils and can stain clothes. Another way to keep from mustiness is to take out of the traveling bag and hang in the closet.

My best friend in Church stored their Temple clothes in their travel bags in the garage. Whewie did they get moldy and stinky. NOTHING she did got them clean.

Also when hanging in the closet, protect the neckline and shoulders with a portion of old sheet. The light from your closet can turn the white to yellow.

Hopefully, after I get my Temple Recommend renewed, I'll be going to the temple too much to put my Robes out in the garage. Thanks for the tip about using a sheet. I never would have thought of that. Brother Ray

What falls apart? I wash it all in the washer on delicate and hang to dry.

I also wash everything white at least once a year. Just the oils from our hands can discolor over time.

I also iron rayon and nylon on a low setting. I use a wet pressing cloth over the top. Works great!

• 7 months later...
Guest DeborahC

It has been over 20 years since I was at the Temple.

Things have changed.

There are many more choices.

Because of our area, I'm having to order my clothing online.

Can someone tell me the difference between the fabrics called sheer, Tisset, and Illusion?

I can find Illusion online, and I assume sheer is just that, but what is Tisset

And which do I want and why?

Also, opinions about ribbon ties or slip hooks?

Help?

Ribbon ties vs slip hooks---think of it this way. With ribbon ties, you typically tie those behind you. So, older people or people with joint issues tend to have more difficulty with those. With slip hooks, you adjust it one time and then you can connect it at your side rather than behind you.

What falls apart? I wash it all in the washer on delicate and hang to dry.

I also wash everything white at least once a year. Just the oils from our hands can discolor over time.

I also iron rayon and nylon on a low setting. I use a wet pressing cloth over the top. Works great!

The sash & ceremonial items. Had it happen to me. No way am I ever going to iron rayon or nylon. Hang it up overnight and the few wrinkles will disappear.

Another question - do you not take temple wear to the cleaners because they are temple wear, or because the cleaning solution might damage them?

Yes. Everything for women can easily be machine washed on delicate and hand wash of the ceremonial items.

My husbands white pants I took to the dry cleaners. Every thing else of his I hand washed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Garments that I got way back in 2000. The necks are stretched out on the tops, the elastic is stretched out on the bottoms,and they are so thin that you can see through them. but there are no rips or stains on them. So they are still wearable.

Here's my problem. I have been buying two new sets at the first of each month when I get my SSI check. I am running out of room. Is it O.K. if I remove the symbols from the old ones, and throw them away, even though, like I said, they are still wearable. Or do I have to wait until they have a flaw that renders them unwearable? Thanks Brother Ray

Edit. I just realized that I started writing this Post on the first window (proper term?) that shows up when the site comes up. i forgot to go to forums, and find the proper place for this post. I believe this is the " How do I" forum, and not the correct spot for this post.

I don't want to type it all over. could somebody (hint,hint, Pam ;0) move it for me. Thanks

Heh. You sound like such a... guy. As a female, I would have long ago considered them unwearable.

(Hopefully this isn't wrong of me.)

I think you're fine properly disposing of the 13-year-old garments.

That's what I think too. but still, I can't help wondering if throwing them away, when they can still be worn, is showing disrespect. Brother Ray.

I can't manage to hold onto garments for more than three-four years at the most. After all, they aren't built for industrial activity, so they're gonna fade quickly. I tend to view even a little discoloration, or loss of the bright-new white as wear. Once the top isn't as white as my socks....time to go.

That's what I think too. but still, I can't help wondering if throwing them away, when they can still be worn, is showing disrespect. Brother Ray.

I suppose we all differ on what is "wearable", but the point is the meaning of the garment. As long as the garment, when considered unusable by the wearer, is respectfully disposed of, I don't think the degree of "used" matters too much.

I doubt too many people will argue with you over your definition of "used". You seem at conflict over the very worn aspect of your older garments vs the fact you can still attach them to your body.

Bottom line: if you feel they've gone the way of all clothing, don't feel bad about giving them up.

Edited by Backroads

Pam. My old post was asking about the proper way of garments that were no longer wearable.

My new post is asking about Garments that are old, but, in a pinch could still be worn. Is it o.k. to throw them away even though, if need be, they could still be worn. Or would that be showing disrespect.

they are two separate questions. Brother Ray

I suppose we all differ on what is "wearable", but the point is the meaning of the garment. As long as the garment, when considered unusable by the wearer, is respectfully disposed of, I don't think the degree of "used" matters too much.

I doubt too many people will argue with you over your definition of "used". You seem at conflict over the very worn aspect of your older garments vs the fact you can still attach them to your body.

Bottom line: if you feel they've gone the way of all clothing, don't feel bad about giving them up.

Thank you. I feel much better about throwing them away Brother Ray