Photo
- - - - -

Difference between a ward, stake, and meeting house??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hyena

Hyena

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm a little confused about the distinction. Are they all the same thing? Just a little clarification.

#2 Smudge

Smudge

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

A meeting house - is your church building A ward is what we call a unit of the church - the same as Anglicans have a Parish A stake is a group of wards and branchs (branches are smaller versions of a ward) that lead by a priesthood leader - I guess you could say it is our version of a dioceses (sp?) Hope that helps

#3 DHK

DHK

5,000+ posts and hasn't been banned yet...

• Senior Moderators
  • 5564 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

And a stake center is a meeting house where the local stake presidency offices are and where stake conference meetings are held.
"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21). President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ." - Neal A. Maxwell, October 10th, 1978.

http://speeches.byu....viewitem&id=909

#4 Hyena

Hyena

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thank you... That clears it up for me. Just a little confused, thanks!

#5 Smudge

Smudge

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I can understand that - I think that for someone who has not grown up in the church they have to learn a whole new vocab

#6 Hyena

Hyena

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Indeed. In fact, it resulted in a kind of confusing, yet amusing situation for me. I met with a local missionary for the first time today. I was incredibly nervous but they kindly allowed me to meet them at the church instead of at my home. It is the first time I've ever been to an LDS church. Interestingly, I must have driven by it a thousand times in my life and NEVER knew it was there although I knew the area well. I sat with the two missionaries for about two hours and really gained a lot from it and it just felt like.. home. I was so moved and touched by how they explained the restoration and these colorful picture books about faith and conquering fear and Jesus showing us by example through baptism that I agreed to arrange for my own baptism. Then the subject of where I lived came up and apparently there was a great deal of confusion lol. You see, apparently, the online missionaries referred me to them, but that isn't the church or meeting house closest to where I live and so apparently I needed to be referred to members of a DIFFERENT ward. Thankfully, they contacted some other missionaries in my neighborhood. I'll be going to church with them tomorrow morning... my first LDS church service. The shocking thing.. an LDS Church is right around the corner from my house, maybe two blocks away. I could literally walk to it and I've lived here nearly 20 years... and I never knew it was there. At all. Amazes me, that does. Anyway, Now I get to deal with two NEW missionaries. Irony is I think now I've been passed through about 6.. (the first two online missionaries got missions and had to leave to other countries so they passed me on to two more who then referred me to these local ones). For someone being shy I'm sure having to meet a bunch of different people. Maybe it's a screening process? I just hope it's the last time. I'm already scared enough.

#7 Smudge

Smudge

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 540 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

I does happen sometimes like that! Its not a screening process just a process of making sure you are taught by the missionaries who are in your area - and sometimes that means you might meet extra missionaries but I believe that you met those missionaries for a reason and the ones that you meet next will also be the same. How did you find church today? In theory once you meet your new missionaries they will be with you unless they are moved - but it is rare for both missionaries in the companionship to be moved at the same time.

#8 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

In theory once you meet your new missionaries they will be with you unless they are moved - but it is rare for both missionaries in the companionship to be moved at the same time.

Not usual, but not that rare. We've had it happen twice in the past year or two in our ward, and my missionary son was "flushed in" to his first two areas, where he and his companion replaced both previous missionaries.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#9 Smudge

Smudge

• Inactive 3+ Months
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:04 AM

It is rare over here, I can only think of a handful of times when I has happened in my branch - and that was ususally when they were switching between elders, sisters and senior missionaries. I guess it depends on what the Lord percieves the needs of the area to be!

#10 MsMagnolia

MsMagnolia

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

My husband went through 10 different missionaries when he was learning about the Gospel. We looked online for a ward to attend in the Denver area where he was from. Turns out the one closest to his house was not the ward he was supposed to be in. Then they sent him to a singles ward then another ward. Different missionaries each time. The message is the same no matter who teaches you. Listen with your heart (it sounds like you already have!) and know that you don't have to be nervous. A funny story about stake centers... When I was growing up we went to stake dances once a month. I invited a friend to a stake dance and was suprised to see my fun-loving friend kind of disappointed at the end of the dance. I asked them what was wrong and they told me that they were expecting steak at a steak center! I giggled and explained. Best wishes to you, Mags

WE are the music-makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams,Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams:Yet we are the movers and shakers Of the world for ever, it seems.
Arthur O'Shaughnessy. 1844–1881

#11 Hyena

Hyena

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

My husband went through 10 different missionaries when he was learning about the Gospel. We looked online for a ward to attend in the Denver area where he was from. Turns out the one closest to his house was not the ward he was supposed to be in. Then they sent him to a singles ward then another ward. Different missionaries each time. The message is the same no matter who teaches you. Listen with your heart (it sounds like you already have!) and know that you don't have to be nervous.

A funny story about stake centers... When I was growing up we went to stake dances once a month. I invited a friend to a stake dance and was suprised to see my fun-loving friend kind of disappointed at the end of the dance. I asked them what was wrong and they told me that they were expecting steak at a steak center! I giggled and explained.

Best wishes to you,
Mags

Lol that is funny. All the location titles still confuse me. Even the things like my ward vs my stake (well I don't mean MINE.. but if I join they will be mine).

You mentioned a singles ward?!? What is that?! I'm a single male.. so does that mean I'm gonna have to switch wards again?!? I don't know if I like the idea of being shipped off somewhere else lol. And if I get married do I have to switch wards once more? I'm the kind of person that I kinda like consistency.. the same people. I like the feeling of belong to a family.. a spiritual family if you will. I don't know if I want to have to get used to whole new sets of people all over again..

#12 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

A "singles ward" is a ward composed almost solely of unmarried men and women (except for the bishop). It is designed to increase the concentration of single people to the point where dating, rating, twitterpating, and mating* can take place more easily, hopefully wthout the waiting or the hating. *"Mating" in the sense of getting married, just to be clear, after which begins the procreating. If you are unmarried and of the right age (18-30, I believe), you are welcome to go to a singles ward if one is available in your area. But you are always welcome in your own home ward. Many singles eschew the singles ward in favor of staying in their own regular family ward.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#13 Hyena

Hyena

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

A "singles ward" is a ward composed almost solely of unmarried men and women (except for the bishop). It is designed to increase the concentration of single people to the point where dating, rating, twitterpating, and mating* can take place more easily, hopefully wthout the waiting or the hating.

*"Mating" in the sense of getting married, just to be clear, after which begins the procreating.

If you are unmarried and of the right age (18-30, I believe), you are welcome to go to a singles ward if one is available in your area. But you are always welcome in your own home ward. Many singles eschew the singles ward in favor of staying in their own regular family ward.

Thanks. Luckily, I'm older than 30 by a few years. I'm all good for that. I don't really need companionship. Just spiritual fulfillment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq