• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6215 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I've never seen this happen before. Apparently today was fast Sunday for our stake (oops) and next week we're having a "special stake conference", about 3 months ahead of schedule. Anyone else? Should I start packing our covered wagon? ;)
Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#2 Tough Grits

Tough Grits

• Members
  • 1425 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

We had our stake conference this weekend. Our mission president, President Jensen, and his wife were in attendance, and our temple president, President Posey, and his wife were in attendance.

Saturday session was great, and well as today. I have plenty of notes.

We were told we were getting around 100 new missionaries added to our mission this year, but only 3 extras cars for those 100 missionaries. Meaning: the elders AND sisters will be serving "bicycle missions". Yes, sisters too. On bikes.

~TG
~Sister Tough Grits

Life in the Church soon teaches us that the Lord does not ask us about our ability, but only our availability. And then, if we demonstrate our dependability, the Lord will increase our capability. ~Neal A. Maxwell

Blessed are those that can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. :lol:

LDS.org

#3 Jenamarie

Jenamarie

I am glad for many things.

• Members
  • 2205 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

We had our stake conference this weekend. Our mission president, President Jensen, and his wife were in attendance, and our temple president, President Posey, and his wife were in attendance.

We were told we were getting around 100 new missionaries added to our mission this year, but only 3 extras cars for those 100 missionaries. Meaning: the elders AND sisters will be serving "bicycle missions". Yes, sisters too. On bikes.

~TG

I had a friend who served in Greece who had to ride a bike (sister missionary) they had special clips for securing their skirts.

But who knows, maybe they'll start letting them wear -*gasp*- PANTS!!! :D
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

#4 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'm guessing you're getting a new stake presidency.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#5 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49950 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

That was my guess.

#6 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6215 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Oh, that's entirely possible.
Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

#7 john doe

john doe

Head Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 9648 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

This has been a fairly common occurrance in the last year or so at least in the Intermountain area. It happened in my stake last year when they called a 'special' Stake Conference for the week after our regularly scheduled one. Everyone thought there would be big changes coming. Turns out nothing happened other than an Area Authority Seventy came and addressed us, and after he spoke the Stake President asked a few people out of the congregation to come forward and share their testimonies. The story I got was that the Seventy told them he was coming on a certain week and not to change the date for their regularly scheduled Conference. We would just have two conferences in a row.
Pressure: It can turn a lump of coal into a flawless diamond, or an average person into a perfect basketcase.
-from despair.com

Except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, & communism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!
From protestwarrior.com

#8 Jenamarie

Jenamarie

I am glad for many things.

• Members
  • 2205 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

We had a "special" Stake Conference called for just a couple of weeks after our regularly scheduled one where they even served the *Sacrament* at the meeting (which took some pretty stellar coordination of the various Deacons' quorums), and it ended up being that they were changing the boundaries of some of the wards. Interestingly enough, MY ward was the only one left unchanged. :P
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

#9 classylady

classylady

• Members
  • 1418 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

~TG

I rode a bike on my mission with a skirt. No big deal. Except when I had a crash, and then every one had a public view.

#10 Tough Grits

Tough Grits

• Members
  • 1425 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

I rode a bike on my mission with a skirt. No big deal. Except when I had a crash, and then every one had a public view.

Oww. Sorry to hear that!

Could sisters wear shorts beneath their skirts to prevent incidents like this? :huh:
~Sister Tough Grits

Life in the Church soon teaches us that the Lord does not ask us about our ability, but only our availability. And then, if we demonstrate our dependability, the Lord will increase our capability. ~Neal A. Maxwell

Blessed are those that can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. :lol:

LDS.org

#11 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

~TG

I was Spanish-speaking in a stateside mission, so I pretty much always had a car, but even still, we were required to park it one day a week and have a "Pioneer Day," during which we walked or rode. We learned to tuck our skirts into our knee-highs while riding. Still, for someone who learned how to ride a bike at 21 years old and in the mission field, it wasn't fun.

To the OP: could be new stake presidency, boundary re-alignment, visiting authority (though that's less likely, since you're in Utah already), or your stake president could just be having a little fun at everyone's expense. :)
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#12 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

We're having one next weekend.

#13 Iggy

Iggy

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

When we lived in Casa Grande AZ, we had an extra Stake Conference three years in a row. The first one was to realign the Stake boundaries and add one ward. The second one was to divide the wards, add two and move three to the new meetinghouse. The third was again to divide the wards, add two and move three to yet another new meetinghouse.

We moved shortly after that.

:angel: :coocoo: :scribe:

“To do well you must do good, and to do good you must first be good."

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Stephen R. Covey

#14 Sharky

Sharky

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

There are a couple reasons you might have a "Special Stake Conference".

Sometimes it is changes within the Stake (i.e.: Stake Presidency or Stake Boundary changes).

Other times it is simply a "Special Assignment" was made to a newly sustained GA or member of a General Presidency or Temple Presidency to pick any Stake and go speak. We had just such an experience about 6 years ago & it was schedueled just 2 weeks ahead of time.

A 3rd reason .... In Septmeber 2012 we had a "Special Stake Conference" with a member of the Presidency of The First Quorum of Seventies & then we had our regular Stake Conference about a month later. Turns out that 2 GAs were in the area doing "Preisthood Leadership Training" & as part of these assignments they each choose a Stake they would meet with in the course of a Stake Conference.
Our Special Stake Conference last September was actually schedueled 6-months in advanced but was kept very low-keyed until a few weeks before hand.

In the "old days" it was normal & routine to have a GA attend & speak at Stake Conference every couple of years. There are so many Stakes today that such is an impossibility. Yet, the First Presidency does try to ensure that Stakes do have those opportunities from time to time & by calling them a "Special Stake Conference" & being a little "secretive" the curiosity gets more to attend!

It might be something BIG & it might be just the routine .... but always soemthing of great value & worth attending!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq