• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kevieb

kevieb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

My husband is payed a monthly salary and he also has a retirement , of sorts, being set up for him. It is an over payed life insurance policy. Our life health insurance is also provided for us--and in the past, the company always payed the premium--now we have to pay just a little under 140.00 a paycheck towards our premium to get a better policy. We could take a lesser policy and not have to pay any of the premium.

In past years, the life insurance was always added to his salary and listed as one amount so that the taxes could be taken out---and then the money was pulled back out of the pay check----so it is money we don't have access to.

I knew that when we eventually would use the money, it would have gained interest and the amount would be different, so in the past, I used to subtract that amount from my gross and then pay tithing on the rest--my plan was that I would pay tithing on the money when we actually were able to have access to it.

after awhile, I just decided to go ahead and pay my tithing on the full amount, before it was pulled back out of our check--even though I knew this meant I would eventually be paying tithing twice on a lot of the money.

My husband lost his job---but after 2 1/2-3 years, he was rehired--and a few month later, a new over payed life insurance/retirement was started again.

The pay stubs are done differently now. His actually salary is written, then below ity the insurance amount is written and then below that it shows a subtraction sign before the medical insurance amount that we pay. Each amount is listed separately--salary, insurance, Health Insurance. His life insurance is added to his salary, then the insurance premium is subtracted from this amount and the total is listed as his gross income-------so, his gross income is quite often listed as less than his actually salary. It is done this way so that taxes get taken out of the life insurance but not out of the insurance premium--then they subtract all his taxes and social security and they also subtract the life insurance back out and then they add 50.00 to reimburse him for his company phone.

He had his own phone when he started back with this company, so the owner just payed him the amount that he payed for the other store phones, which was actually less than what my hubby's phone cost, but this way he could use it for his own personal use, also, without taking advantage of the company phone. we eventually got his phone bill down to less than the amount his boss reimburses him----it took awhile before I realized we were getting that little bit of extra money--so i went back and did my best to figure out what I owed in tithing and got it payed--then I forgot about the phone again--so I tried to go back and figure out when I had payed the extra tithing so i could make sure and make up the rest---I don't know if I got it exact--but I'm trying.

The biggest issue I just ran in to is that the pay stubs are written out differently now, and since his actual salary is written separately from the insurance amount---and the gross amount never matches up---and actually changes because sometimes there are odd little amounts listed as salary that are either subtracted or added---I don't know what they are. I just recently realized that I have been paying tithing on my husbands salary amount and I haven't been paying on the extra Life insurance/retirement that is added in for taxes and then subtracted back out. I know we will pay tithing on the money when it is actually available to us and we are able to pull it out.

How do I fix this mistake I made? My husband has been back working for this company for probably a year and a half--maybe more. I just didn't catch the difference in the way the check stubs were written, and didn't even think about his retirement benefits. Plus, the whole check stub was confusing because his gross amount was always less than his actual salary and it was sometimes a different amount. consequently, I always made sure to pay on what I knew was his salary. What am I supposed to do in a situation like this. I have always been a full tithe payer and would rather overpay than underpay---but I don't know how to make up this amount that i missed totally by accident.

Does everyone pay tithing on retirement benefits that are being put away for them by their employers--or do you pay tithing on it when you actually start pulling it out, since it will have gained interest? What do I do in this situation?

#2 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

As a wage-earner, I tithe on my "gross" (if you want to call it that), less FICA withholdings. I do not tithe "earnings" that I don't actually get; when I receive that money for Social Security, then I will tithe it. I do tithe on taxes that I pay, since I consider that to be income. But Social Security withholdings are not income.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#3 MorningStar

MorningStar

• Members
  • 4891 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've thought about changing the way I do it, but we've paid on the Social Security too and that would make it more confusing when we do receive it someday (that is, if the funds are still there).

#4 paulh1396362268

paulh1396362268

• Registered Users
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Fortunately the tithing code is not as complex as the tax code!

I don't tithe on tax or retirement withholdings from paychecks, with the understanding that i will pay when I retire, or if I get a tax refund at the end of the year.

#5 kevieb

kevieb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

you all have made some interesting points that I have never thought of--the fact that social security and medicare are being pulled out of our paycheck---but it is not money that we are actually "gaining" at this time. I had just always heard that you were supposed to pay on your gross and not your net---but I know that the farmers usually pay their tithing in a lump sum at the end of the year because they take all their costs out of their earnings for the year and then pay tithing on that---which means they are paying tithing in a very different way than the rest of us. although, I'm not really sure how they figure it.

My husband doesn't get very many work related expenses--but if he did, we wouldn't subtract them from the amount of money we pay tithing on----but we do use it as a tax deduction.

We end up paying tithing on part of our tax return almost every year because of the child tax credit---and we have so many kids.

My sister told me that in my heart I was paying a full tithe, and she didn't think I should worry about the past and just change it from now on.

You have given me a lot to think on and study about--but from what you all have said--it doesn't sound like I missed paying any tithing that won't get paid later--unless we die extremely early---and then we wouldn't ever receive it anyway.

Thanks

#6 mnn727

mnn727

• Members
  • 2234 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Please don't get hung up on the arithmetic of tithing, its 10% of your increase, decide what you believe that is, pray for confirmation from God and then pay it.
Some people pay on Gross, some people pay on Net, some people use all kinds of formula for deciding how much to pay, as long as you honestly get a confirmation from God for the method you use, you are a full tithe payer.

Edited by mnn727, 29 January 2013 - 02:20 PM.

http://pawfiction.proboards.com
Worship without sacrifice is just words

#7 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49953 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think sometimes we get so caught up in the letter of the law we tend to forget the spirit of the law.

#8 Maureen

Maureen

• Members
  • 5731 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

...I had just always heard that you were supposed to pay on your gross and not your net...

I believe whether you pay on gross or net is your choice.

M.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who - is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are. - Milton Berle

Sound, balanced teaching is a must. Our default should be to partake. Our default should be to live in joy, not condemnation. Our default should be to love, not to correct, to encourage, not to criticize. (Quote from prisonchaplain)

#9 kevieb

kevieb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I'm just one of those people that really wants to try and do the right thing--and I have a tendency to over think things to the point that i no longer even know my own thoughts. Now that i know that what you are supposed to pay on isn't as cut and dry as i thought it was--it bugs me.

#10 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I believe whether you pay on gross or net is your choice.

Whether you pay tithing at all is your choice.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12

#11 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8336 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm just one of those people that really wants to try and do the right thing--and I have a tendency to over think things to the point that i no longer even know my own thoughts. Now that i know that what you are supposed to pay on isn't as cut and dry as i thought it was--it bugs me.

Just ask me. I love telling people what to do! :D
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#12 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Just ask me. I love telling people what to do! :D

Is this true, Dravin?

#13 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 12976 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Is this true, Dravin?

Let me go ask Beefche how she wants me to respond...
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#14 mnn727

mnn727

• Members
  • 2234 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Now that i know that what you are supposed to pay on isn't as cut and dry as i thought it was--it bugs me.

Don't let it bug you -- do what God told Oliver Cowdry:

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

Once you and the Lord have agreed on a method, then follow through. he Lord loves a cheerful giver so don't get hung up on the small stuff.

2 Corinthians 9:7

King James Version (KJV)
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

Or as another version put it:
New International Version (NIV)
7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Edited by mnn727, 01 February 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#15 kevieb

kevieb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

mnn727----I've always thought that scripture was the way to get answers---but realized it doesn't work for me---i have a tendency to overthink things until i no longer know what my original gut impression was---and I had a stake president once tell me that I had an overdeveloped sense of guilt. Then, someone gave me a reference to a talk that told all the different ways that the spirit will use to give you answers-----and realized that made a major decision for our family, while ignoring the blatantly obvious signs telling me that it was not a good choice---I just didn't understand-------I wasn't getting a burning in my bosom, nor was I getting a stupor of thought--in fact, I was obsessing about it. What I wasn't recognizing was the uneasiness I was feeling----and the decision definitely has caused our family problems.

I had always thought that we were told to pay on our gross and not our net--but the way our pay stubs are done--our gross ends up being less than our salary. Now I hear people saying that we have not actually been told to pay it a certain way, that it was between us and God--but because I heard pay on gross once, I will feel guilty if I do it any other way--be it right or wrong.

I originally didn't pay on our retirement that was being put in an account because it was only added to our paycheck so that the taxes would be taken out--and then it was pulled back out before we got our paycheck---but we had absolutely no access to that money until some future date---and I knew it would gain interest. It seemed to me, at the time, that If I waited to pay tithing on it until we actually got it, that I would be paying on what was put in and also on the interest it had accrued over time.

Then I decided that since it was added in for tax purposes it showed as part of our gross, so I figured I should pay on it---but it also made our gross look more than what my husband's salary actually was.

For a person that over thinks things---this is all very confusing to me.

#16 Tough Grits

Tough Grits

• Members
  • 1425 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Please don't get hung up on the arithmetic of tithing, its 10% of your increase, decide what you believe that is, pray for confirmation from God and then pay it.
Some people pay on Gross, some people pay on Net, some people use all kinds of formula for deciding how much to pay, as long as you honestly get a confirmation from God for the method you use, you are a full tithe payer.

Yep, that's the way it works. 10% of your increase, however you understand that, and however you are inspired to pay after pondering, searching, and taking it to your Heavenly Father in prayer.

I pay on gross. I also round UP to the nearest dollar. Made my own formula for paying fast. Don't ask me to explain it, it only makes sense to me. :lol:

This is how we do it. We feel good about it, and that is all that matters. As Pam mentioned, we obey the letter of law by following the spirit of the law as it has been revealed to us (my husband and I) by the Holy Ghost. ^_^
~Sister Tough Grits

Life in the Church soon teaches us that the Lord does not ask us about our ability, but only our availability. And then, if we demonstrate our dependability, the Lord will increase our capability. ~Neal A. Maxwell

Blessed are those that can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. :lol:

LDS.org

#17 Ulder

Ulder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

What if you pay lots in alimony? can you pay tithing on what is left after that? is that ok?

#18 mnn727

mnn727

• Members
  • 2234 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

What if you pay lots in alimony? can you pay tithing on what is left after that? is that ok?

If that' what you and the Lord agree on, yes. I'll give you the same answer I gave Kevieb:

do what God told Oliver Cowdry:

8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.

9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.

Once you and the Lord have agreed on a method, then follow through. he Lord loves a cheerful giver so don't get hung up on the small stuff.

2 Corinthians 9:7

King James Version (KJV)
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver

Or as another version put it:
New International Version (NIV)
7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq