Favorite Casserole Recipes

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

So I have a new calling and my first assignment is to take a casserole to a family whose mother is in the hospital. There are 2 small children and a teen at home. I thought this might be a good opportunity to share casserole or one-pot meal recipes for such occasions? Is there a LDS Casserole Cookbook? Ideas besides "spaghetti?" Help?:P

#2 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5844 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Any chicken and rice casserole will work well. Especially if there are small children. allrecipes.com is one of my favorite sites. I love Taste of Homes site too.

#3 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10337 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Tuscan Macaroni and Cheese Bake

Spaghetti Pie II Recipe - Allrecipes.com (My recipe is slightly different, but this is pretty close.)
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#4 dahlia

dahlia

• Members
  • 1775 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

So I have a new calling and my first assignment is to take a casserole to a family whose mother is in the hospital.

Stouffer's Lasagna, family size. :D

If you insist on actually cooking, tuna casserole (noodles, cream of mushroom soup, peas, onions, tuna w/a breadcrumb crust) is pretty cheap and kids don't seem to mind it.

#5 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51841 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I haven't been asked to take in a meal in awhile, but I used to go to Costco and get the large pot pie back in the deli. I just had to heat it up in the oven and it was done. I had so many compliments on it.

#6 LilyBelle00

LilyBelle00

• Inactive 6+ Months
  • 122 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Here are two super easy meals I make sometimes. :) Chicken pot pie 3-4 chicken breasts (I usually use 5-6 chicken breast tenders) 1 can cream of chicken soup 1 can cream of celery 1 big can Homestyle Veg All (drained) 1 rolled pie crust salt and pepper to taste some shredded cheese if you want it I cook the chicken on a skillet until done. Cool and shred. Mix the chicken in a bowl with the 2 cans of soup, vegetables, salt and pepper. I like to add some shredded cheese to the mix. Place one of the pie crusts in a non stick sprayed pie pan. Fill it up with the mixture and put the other pie crust on top, pinching them together. Cut a few slits in the top. Stick it in the oven at 350 for about 45 minutes or until it looks done. :) Yummy and easy! One of the few things that my kids will eat. Yellow chicken and rice 1 family size bag of the seasoned yellow rice 1 small bag of froxen vegetables (I use the corn, peas, carrots, and green bean mix) 5-6 chicken breast tenders Cook the chicken in a skillet until done. Cool and shred. Just follow the directions on the bag for cooking the rice, only add the veggies and chicken to it at the beginning with the water. Super easy and it makes A LOT. We always have leftovers to eat for lunch or dinner the next day.

#7 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8383 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I'm a hot dog and chips gal. For kids, I try to bring something I know they will likely eat--hot dogs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese. And I'm not above getting it from Costco, KFC, Stouffers, etc. For just adults, I tend to lean towards Sloppy Joes or chili or something quick easy.
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#8 mikbone

mikbone

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

No such thing exists. When I got married, my one condition was that my wife never cook casseroles, nor have cream of mushroom soup in the house. My mother was a disaster in the kitchen. It has been a successful union so far. Personally, I don't think that it makes a difference if you cook it yourself or just do the Costco thing or even order a pizza. The thoughtful thing, in my opinion, is to bring disposable containers so the family doesn't have to do clean up work in the kitchen nor hunt you down next Sunday on months down the road to return your containers. My wife usually will make some fresh bread, a pot of black beans (in a disposable containe), picks up a rotisserie chicken from the market, and some fresh fruit.

Edited by mikbone, 29 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value" - Thomas Paine

#9 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I love casseroles, but don't find many that fit my clean-eating goals. :( Some of my favorites were Ritzy poppy seed chicken, sour cream chicken enchiladas, tamale pie, baked macaroni and cheese, and chicken divan. I miss casserole. :(

"Therefore, let us beware of false prophets and false teachers, both men and women, who are self-appointed declarers of the doctrines of the Church and who seek to spread their false gospel and attract followers by sponsoring symposia, books, and journals whose contents challenge fundamental doctrines of the Church. Beware of those who speak and publish in opposition to God’s true prophets and who actively proselyte others with reckless disregard for the eternal well-being of those whom they seduce. Like Nehor and Korihor in the Book of Mormon, they rely on sophistry to deceive and entice others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion” (2 Ne. 26:29). (Beware of False Prophets and Teachers, supra.)

Elder M Russell Ballard

#10 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

No such thing exists.

When I got married, my one condition was that my wife never cook casseroles, nor have cream of mushroom soup in the house. My mother was a disaster in the kitchen. It has been a successful union so far.

Well I didn't make a condition that DH had to provide a certain income, so long as our needs were met. So I guess my condition for providing meals is that I'll provide something to meet your nutritional needs, and if you don't like it, you can make yourself a sandwich. I consider myself a pretty accommodating wife, but I wouldn't have reacted well to such a "condition".

"Therefore, let us beware of false prophets and false teachers, both men and women, who are self-appointed declarers of the doctrines of the Church and who seek to spread their false gospel and attract followers by sponsoring symposia, books, and journals whose contents challenge fundamental doctrines of the Church. Beware of those who speak and publish in opposition to God’s true prophets and who actively proselyte others with reckless disregard for the eternal well-being of those whom they seduce. Like Nehor and Korihor in the Book of Mormon, they rely on sophistry to deceive and entice others to their views. They “set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion” (2 Ne. 26:29). (Beware of False Prophets and Teachers, supra.)

Elder M Russell Ballard

#11 Iggy

Iggy

• Members
  • 2952 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

One of the BEST meals we ever got was from my sisters Bishop & his wife. It was boneless pork loin chops in an apricot glaze (aluminum foil pan), scalloped potatoes (real potatoes partially cooked in yet another aluminum foil pan) with uber thin sliced onions and a light sprinking of shredded cheese on top, a bag of frozen cut leaf spinach (they knew we were the ONE family in the Ward that loved cooked spinach! For dessert there was blackberry cobbler in the final aluminum foil pan. Oh, it was enough for us four adult kids. My ex-hubs left right after the funeral and the others are single. They brought this over to us a week after our Mother's funeral. It was totally unexpected, and since they brought it over at 1 PM, we had plenty of time to cook it up for dinner, and didn't have to run to the store or call out for our meal. What was really great was it was only partially cooked. That way we finished off the cooking and nothing was overcooked & dried out. We had finished off all of the "casseroles" that the RS Ladies had brought. Unfortunately we still had to cook up meats. The casseroles were all sides ~ vegetables. All of us were the diabetics in the family too - so all of the cakes, cookies, pies and puddings went to the neighbors and to the soup kitchen in town. Except the cobbler - Bishop and his wife are diabetic too- so they cook with that in mind. I like to take chicken tenders from our local grocery - they are huge, tender and more meat than coating. Then I add a bag of salad greens, two tomatoes and a bottle of either Ranch or 1000 Island dressing (I will call and ask which they prefer). The local grocery deli does a fantastic hot cheesy scallop potatoes. If it is just for an adult couple, then I will do the 8 piece fried chicken meal combo. Two sides, 4 Hawaiian dinner rolls, two hot sides. Their mashed potatoes are from whole potatoes and gravy is included, then I do the green bean dish. It also includes a 2 Litre bottle of soda. I do the chicken tenders for families with children. Less waste for the money, and I will include a 6 or 8 pack or two of prepared pudding dishes. Again I will call and ask if a mix of vanilla and chocolate will work. One family, their children don't like chocolate - only vanilla. I once got really carried away making home made stew for us. Ended up making two 10 quart soup pots full. I was at the point where I was getting ready to put it all in one serving freezer containers when I got a call from the Compassionate Service Sister. One of the families (has 3 elementary age and 2 teens), husband and wife ~ were all down with colds. They hadn't eaten more than canned chicken noodle or chicken rice soup in two days. I filled up one of my large pyrex bowls with the stew, grabbed a loaf of home made bread from the freezer, a pound of butter and four 10pk boxes of hot cocoa from storage and delivered it to them. Popped the stew into their microwave to get it hot again, put a pot of water on to boil for the hot cocoa. Washed up their dishes while everything was getting hot and the bread was thawing a bit. I pre-slice my homemade bread before I freeze it. Pop it into the microwave and it thaws rather fast. I let them serve up their own dinner. When the Branch Presidency showed up several hours later to do healing blessings on all of them, they also washed up all the dishes and delivered my bowl to me on their way home.

:angel: :coocoo: :scribe:

“To do well you must do good, and to do good you must first be good."

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.
We are spiritual beings having a human experience"

Stephen R. Covey

#12 DeborahC

DeborahC

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thank you all so much for your comments. Since this is for 3 children, two quite young, and because my funds are limited, I decided to make a mac & cheese casserole with sliced wieners in it. Not the healthiest food, maybe, but at least they'll eat it and it's "comfort food" for kids who are probably worried sick about their mom. I did go to the dollar store, where they had 3 foil baking dishes with covers for $1 Hooray!

#13 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51841 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

I can't imagine not having cans of cream of mushroom soup in my house. It comes in handy all the time for so many different things.

#14 dahlia

dahlia

• Members
  • 1775 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

I love casseroles, but don't find many that fit my clean-eating goals. :(

Same here. I don't touch them because you don't know what's in them, I don't want 'cream of anything' soup anymore, and they're usually heavy on the pasta, which plays havoc on the diabetes.

#15 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5844 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

When I got married, my one condition was that my wife never cook casseroles, nor have cream of mushroom soup in the house. My mother was a disaster in the kitchen. It has been a successful union so far.

I agree with Eowyn on this. Conditions like this sort of bother me. I'm glad it has worked out for you and your wife, but what if your wife likes casseroles and isn't telling you? Or likes cream of mushroom soup and isn't telling you?

I cook. But in between my cooking everyone is on their own. I am also NOT a short order cook. :o

#16 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I agree with Eowyn on this. Conditions like this sort of bother me. I'm glad it has worked out for you and your wife, but what if your wife likes casseroles and isn't telling you? Or likes cream of mushroom soup and isn't telling you?

applepansy, a man has to draw the line somewhere. First it's cream of mushroom soup, next it's Law & Order reruns, and before you know it the Relief Society is having a Pride and Prejudice marathon in your living room.

The madness must stop. Better to nip it in the bud.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#17 Eowyn

Eowyn

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 6418 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

How's that working for you, Vort?

Elder M Russell Ballard

#18 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

How's that working for you, Vort?

You would be surprised how comfortable the couch can be. Very adequate back support.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#19 Windseeker

Windseeker

Find me where the sea and sky meet

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I like Chickin Divan, my favorite casserole of all time. I love it so much I got the recipe from my mum and made it for my Japanese Mission President when I was assigned to the mission home. Everyone liked it. My kids eat it today and my 9 year old son loves broccoli I think becuase of eating this. He even loves broccoli raw.

#20 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8383 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I like Chickin Divan, my favorite casserole of all time. I love it so much I got the recipe from my mum and made it for my Japanese Mission President when I was assigned to the mission home. Everyone liked it.

My kids eat it today and my 9 year old son loves broccoli I think becuase of eating this. He even loves broccoli raw.

Recipe, please!
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq