What powers does satan have? How does he work?

synergy13

I've been thinking a lot about how satan influences, what powers he has, etc. Can he influence thoughts? Can he do anything physical since he doesn't have a body? For instance, can he make physical things happen? If he follows the principle of opposites and Christ can do all these things to bring about good and peace are his powers equal yet in the opposite direction?

Having been around the block, it is my opinion that if you really work hard to understand Satan and his powers, you WILL REGRET IT. If instead you study the priesthood of the Son of God, you will benefit, the people around you will benefit, and at some point if you still want to, you will understand Satan's 'power'.

Yes he can influence, even engender, thoughts. Yes he can make physical things happen. His oppositional powers are considerable but not equal to Christ's powers.

HJ

If he follows the principle of opposites and Christ can do all these things to bring about good and peace are his powers equal yet in the opposite direction?

There is no principle of opposites, there is a principle of opposition but there is a distinction to be had. If I'm commanded to heal the sick for instance it doesn't mean the opposition to following God's command will be to sicken healthy people.

I believe that the powers available to Satan to influence our lives is in essence the same as the powers exercised by G-d to influence individuals. That for every opportunity that G-d through his spirit and those angles aligned with him has in our lives - Satan and his followers have the same opportunities and abilities to influence us. In scripture this is known as opposition in all things.

Thus the "choice" or power is left to each individual as to which spirit or influence has the "upper hand" in our lives.

The Traveler

I personally don't believe that Satan can himself do physical things however I do agree wholeheartedly with the rest of HiJollys post in that

it is my opinion that if you really work hard to understand Satan and his powers, you WILL REGRET IT. If instead you study the priesthood of the Son of God, you will benefit, the people around you will benefit, and at some point if you still want to, you will understand Satan's 'power'

I believe he can influence thought (as much as we let him) and he has full knowledge of the pre-existence, unlike us, so he knows 'what buttons to push'. We are the ones able to give him influence over us and if we give him too much influence over ourselves then we will do the physical things he wants done.

Edited by mnn727

I believe a powerful example of Satan's power is found in Joseph Smith History 1:15-16 when Joseph went to pray vocally. A power, which I understand to be Satan, seized Joseph and prevented him from speaking and Joseph said he felt as if the power would destroy him. Too me, those are physical means that Satan can use to directly influence a person.

15 After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. I had scarcely done so, when immediately I was aseized upon by some power which entirely overcame me, and had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Thick bdarkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction.

16 But, exerting all my powers to acall upon God to deliver me out of the power of this enemy which had seized upon me, and at the very moment when I was ready to sink into bdespair and abandon myself to destruction—not to an imaginary ruin, but to the power of some actual being from the unseen world, who had such marvelous power as I had never before felt in any being—just at this moment of great alarm, I saw a pillar of clight exactly over my head, above the brightness of the dsun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me.

Always seek to know the patterns of the darkness to avoid them. Always. I cannot restate this enough. Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Satan has the power to take you to the pinnacle of the temple (almost the highest peace and contentment humanly possible) for a time to try and get you to cast yourself down and worship him (find your fulfillment in lusts, married or not), to plant thoughts of any kind in the mind, to put a man into any position of authority in the legal or political field or in any religion ( Luke 4:6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.) to make the wrong partners fall in love, to incite lifelong delusion and illusion which is sweet at first but ends in pain late in life, to incite a person to anger, lust, greed, pride etc, to cause illnesses (Luke 13:16 And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?" or afterwards, to organize people to fight a war, and take over people's bodies for a short or extended time. The list is endless, but all of his deceptions are generally very pleasant - at first. No one drinks bitter poison.

He has the power to destroy but not create (at least anything perfect), and has created stories of him being able to heal to entice the weak minded to commit the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (attributing to Satan what is God's power alone, such as healing or casting out evil spirits) by saying that so and so was healed by so and so, but that when they were blessed or exorcised the original injury came back and so on. Only God has the power to do good, through whatever medium he chooses, and he is no respector of persons or their religions. Mark 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

He first works through playing on your thoughts and desires, because he desires nothing more than for you to die with unfulfilled desires. As you move away from trying to fulfill yourself outside of God he will steadily bring in greater temptations, through his devotees which are everywhere, and at the end direct manifestations with first bribes and then threats, and lastly persecution, strife, and disbelief from the millions of minds he is one with.

His servants, whether they are simply materialists who ignorantly worship their own egos, or people who work directly with him and knowingly for whatever reason, become a part of him when they die (read about legion) just as those who become the sons of God become one with Him, yet maintain their individuality outwardly.

Those who follow faith without works - έργον τό (dead faith with no "workings" or more correctly translated, proofs one is on the right path) he never bothers much.

"And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them. And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

The sower soweth the word. And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, and the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred." - Mark 4:10-20

Having been around the block, it is my opinion that if you really work hard to understand Satan and his powers, you WILL REGRET IT.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

After years of security work, and a few jobs in the mental health industry as well, I've come to the conclusion that there are certain things (much milder than Satan himself) that I'm not ready to understand, and in no hurry to be ready, either.

I've been thinking a lot about how satan influences, what powers he has, etc. Can he influence thoughts? Can he do anything physical since he doesn't have a body? For instance, can he make physical things happen? If he follows the principle of opposites and Christ can do all these things to bring about good and peace are his powers equal yet in the opposite direction?

are his powers = to christs? no, for he was overcome by the blood of the lamb. so his power is not equal... however that said I have no interest in finding out the limits of said power. can he affect teh physical world? yes. Joseph smith's, Moses', Christ's, and various other prophets and servants of lords interaction with those who are posessed or who encounter the adversary would show that he does indeed have power, even great power.

-…[W]e need not become paralyzed with fear of Satan’s power. He can have no power over us unless we permit it. He is really a coward, and if we stand firm, he will retreat…. He cannot know our thoughts unless we speak them. (James E Faust, General Conference, The Great Imitator, Oct. 1987)

“But while Satan can convey thoughts, he does not know whether these thoughts have taken root unless they are reflected either in words or in actions.” (General Conference, Oct. 1991, Elder Francis M. Gibbons)

Guest ghostwind

Yes, he can influence thoughts. But only influence, and this means that he doesn't have the power to direct someone or to lead someone or to occupy all of your thoughts. Whenever a person is not mentally disordered, Satan is not empowered to bring her absolutely down under his intention, and your free will (or the part of your very individual spiritual being) can resist against his will or intention, if you recognize it and if you are strong enough.

He can not do anything physical directly, but he can lead persons or animals or any kind of living beings to do things, and, as a result, this is his indirect physical power. By himself he can not make even a leave on a tree swing, but he can make us fear. The opposite direction should not be understood as some kind of power given to Satan in that negative way. So his powers should not be understood equal yet in the opposite direction you have mentioned. His power is restricted but given by God, because the whole universum is consisting of those mighty powers, standing against each other.

So, whenever we do s.th., whenever we are deciding in a situation or for s.th., and even if our doing is not always the result of our "free will" (advertising on TV conflicts us with our good intentions...) there remains a part in our spirit offering us the ability to saying "yes" or "no". Sometimes the frontiers are not absolutely clear, but even if we have decided for the wrong way, we can return. If we believe in God the Allmighty, we shouldn't fear Satan's power. He is nothing, as long as we don't make any deal (in the sense of a mental contract) with him... but even then there would be a way to return, and it depends on the weigh of your faith in God.

Edited by ghostwind

Originally Posted by synergy13 Posted Image

Yes, he can influence thoughts. But only influence, and this means that he doesn't have the power to direct someone or to lead someone or to occupy all of your thoughts. Whenever a person is not mentally disordered, Satan is not empowered to bring her absolutely down under his intention, and your free will (or the part of your very individual spiritual being) can resist against his will or intention, if you recognize it and if you are strong enough.

Not sure I agree - I believe we can put ourselves into environments and circumstances in which Satan can dominate our thoughts.

He can not do anything physical directly, but he can lead persons or animals or any kind of living beings to do things, and, as a result, this is his indirect physical power. By himself he can not make even a leave on a tree swing, but he can make us fear. The opposite direction should not be understood as some kind of power given to Satan in that negative way. So his powers should not be understood equal yet in the opposite direction you have mentioned. His power is restricted but given by God, because the whole universum is consisting of those mighty powers, standing against each other.

So, whenever we do s.th., whenever we are deciding in a situation or for s.th., and even if our doing is not always the result of our "free will" (advertising on TV conflicts us with our good intentions...) there remains a part in our spirit offering us the ability to saying "yes" or "no". Sometimes the frontiers are not absolutely clear, but even if we have decided for the wrong way, we can return. If we believe in God the Allmighty, we shouldn't fear Satan's power. He is nothing, as long as we don't make any deal (in the sense of a mental contract) with him... but even then there would be a way to return, and it depends on the weigh of your faith in God.

I think Satan can do many physical things - from the book of Job chapter 1:

12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.

13 ¶And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother’s house:

14 And there came a messenger unto Job, and said, The oxen were plowing, and the asses feeding beside them:

15 And the Sabeans fell upon them, and took them away; yea, they have slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

16 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

17 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The Chaldeans made out three bands, and fell upon the camels, and have carried them away, yea, and slain the servants with the edge of the sword; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

18 While he was yet speaking, there came also another, and said, Thy sons and thy daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother’s house:

19 And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee.

The Traveler

Guest ghostwind

Not sure I agree - I believe we can put ourselves into environments and circumstances in which Satan can dominate our thoughts.

I think Satan can do many physical things - from the book of Job chapter 1:

The Traveler

First: I would agree, yes, it also depends on the situation or the environments, so that Satan would take the chance given to him by one moment to influence or even dominate our thoughts.

Secondly: The book of Job tells the story of an extremely righteous man named Job, who is very prosperous and has seven sons and three daughters. Constantly fearing that his sons may have sinned and "cursed God in their hearts", he habitually offers burnt offerings as a pardon for their sins.[3] The "sons of God" and Satan (literally "the Adversary") present themselves to God, and God asks Satan his opinion on Job. Satan answers that Job is pious only because God has put a "wall around" him and "blessed" his favourite servant with prosperity, but if God were to stretch out his hand and strike everything that Job had, then he would surely curse God. God gives Satan permission to test Job's righteousness (source: wikipedia)

But he (Satan) therefore had to become empowered by God, as far as I can see from the example described in the Book of Job. And God didn't give Satan permission to take Job's life but only to make him suffering as some kind of examination. Of course I cannot know about the real power Satan might have, and it's only in my imagination that he doesn't have real physical power. What about all those terrible accidents in the world? What about a crash on the Highway and a whole family suffers? Only by chance, bad luck? A rightous man, working on a construction site, has an accident there. Only bad luck? I don't know if those accidents even have to do with Satan or not.

What about the holy scriptures? Does Doctrine & Covenants give us more answers? I am not sure but I would try to find s.th. there, and I would be thankful for more advice and views in this question.

Edited by ghostwind
grammar

• 1 month later...

There's a price in pain to know the answers to such questions so my recommendation is this.

Ask the Lord.

The source or your curiosity/desire to know these things either does or does not come from the Lord. Ask the Lord if the desire for such knowledge is of him. If you don't get a yes... learn wisdom and leave the mystery alone.

That being said, a desire to distinguish between the Lord's and the adversary's kingdoms on earth is wise. I recommend fully that all read "There Are Save Two Churches Only" by brother D. Christian Markham. My mom printed the pdf off for me a few weeks ago and sincerely asked that I read it and I'm very grateful that I did.

There's a price in pain to know the answers to such questions so my recommendation is this.

Ask the Lord.

The source or your curiosity/desire to know these things either does or does not come from the Lord. Ask the Lord if the desire for such knowledge is of him. If you don't get a yes... learn wisdom and leave the mystery alone.

That being said, a desire to distinguish between the Lord's and the adversary's kingdoms on earth is wise. I recommend fully that all read "There Are Save Two Churches Only" by brother D. Christian Markham. My mom printed the pdf off for me a few weeks ago and sincerely asked that I read it and I'm very grateful that I did.