Excellent question. The Doctrine and Covenants also has harsh words for those who lie in order to catch someone in a lie.

I don't know the answer, but I assume that espionage per se won't prevent you from getting a temple recommend. I know the FBI hires heavily from among the Latter-day Saints, and I assume the CIA does so, as well. How well such a life would fit into a gospel home is another matter.

My very LDS BIL was heavily recruited by the CIA. He ended up turning them down because his wife didn't want to raise their family in DC. He was going to be translating Chinese intelligence.

The scriptures say, "Thou shalt not kill", and yet we have thousands of active LDS in the military, who have been involved in the deaths of thousands of enemy, but also tens of thousands of innocent civilians that were unfortunate to be near those enemies.

I think the Lord makes exceptions for those who work for the defense of the government. Remember, Capt Moroni and others used deceit as a strategem against the Lamanites.

I was thinking of the military too when I read this.

I was in the military during the first gulf war and my unit was sent there. I remained behind because I was in supply and I ordered gear from Camp Pendleton and shipped it to my unit. However, if I would have been on the front lines I would have been shooting to kill because that is what you do in the military and I would have felt as Captain Moroni did in that this was allowed because I would have been following military orders and my leaders believed it was necessary for the defense of our country.

I view espionage the same way. The knowledge someone in espionage would be seeking would be to help those in charge better defend our country. Of course, for myself, I would not take a job like that because I wouldn't want to learn how to be deceptive. But that is just me.

Would having a career in government espionage as an LDS prevent you from entering the temple? Obtaining information by deceit and manipulation isn't "honest dealings with your fellow man"..

Not necessarily. a grand majority of obtaining information can be done honestly. But if it's necessary for actions that are otherwise, then it won't bar you from heaven just as having to kill during a war won't necessarily bar you.

(I'd point to the example of Nephi when he had to go obtain the brass plates from laban is a good example, and there is also the times when subterfuge was used during the nephite-lamanite wars to avoid bloodshed)

It should be noted that Captain Moroni made use of deceit in defense of his fellows and his country., note Alma 55. This is the man that if all men were like unto him the very powers of hell would be shaken forever.

Edited by Dravin

It should be noted that Captain Moroni made use of deceit in defense of his fellows and his country. Note Alma 55. This is the man that if all men were like unto him the very powers of hell would be shaken forever.

That's because the Captain Moroni-like men would all be deceptively undermining hell's foundation, the cads.

Here in Utah, detectives routinely lie to suspects during interviews. I presume at least some of them are temple-going Mormons.

(My favorite tactic is the detective who comes in wearing a white shirt and tie and tells the suspect "I just want to help you; but you need to tell me everything so that you can put this behind you". I call it the "Bishop schtick", and I fantasize about taking one of these cases to the state Supreme Court.)

The thing I always think of in instances of espionage is the story of Jericho. If I recall correctly, didn't Joshua have spies within the city that were climbing into/out of a window of some woman before the walls fell? Possibly as a measure of espionage.

As for the thou shalt not kill thing, some of the greatest warriors in history fought in the name of God. King David, Samson and his jawbone of an donkey, Joshua...

I think it comes down to righteousness in the cause. Just as good and evil can be a blurred line so can right and wrong.. For example, everyone would agree that sex is pleasurable and therefore it must be good in some way because otherwise God wouldn't have made it thus... However, chastity is righteous and we should not simply be fornicating around for the sake of base pleasures.

At least that's what I understand in my non scholarly opinion.

Here in Utah, detectives routinely lie to suspects during interviews. I presume at least some of them are temple-going Mormons.

(My favorite tactic is the detective who comes in wearing a white shirt and tie and tells the suspect "I just want to help you; but you need to tell me everything so that you can put this behind you". I call it the "Bishop schtick", and I fantasize about taking one of these cases to the state Supreme Court.)

Police lie to suspects all the time. The best bet is to shut up and lawyer up, whether you did anything or not.

We know two cops here in SLC, personally, one is a regular police officer and the other is an undercover officer, and they are both LDS. I have no idea what their everyday work entails, I have guesses, but I'm sure it's not always pretty.

Jobs I'd never want my husband to do: Government, military or police work. Also, as much as he enjoys MMA as a hobby, I would never want to see him fighting. I like my husband coming home in one piece and entact - everywhere - mind, body and spirit!