Gomer Pyle get Married

HoosierGuy

Wow, this was a shock. I think lots of us Gomer Pyle fans sort of thought this in the back of our heads, but hoped it was not true. I sort of wish he would have stayed in the closet even though I support gay marriage. I can't fault him for this nice statement:

"I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years, and I feel very blessed."

Jim Nabors of 'Gomer Pyle' fame marries male partner of 38 years - latimes.com

No, I was not 100% certain he was gay. I would hear a rumor once in a blue moon but no solid evidence or solid stories. So I'm surprised about this story and marriage.

Yes, I wish this story had not been made public. I didn't want to know one of my favorite characters in TV history was played by a gay person.

No, I was not 100% certain he was gay. I would hear a rumor once in a blue moon but no solid evidence or solid stories. So I'm surprised about this story and marriage.

Yes, I wish this story had not been made public. I didn't want to know one of my favorite characters in TV history was played by a gay person.

So that changes what he did on tv huh?

I loved Rock Hudson and thought he was just a hunk. But yet he was gay. I loved him in McMillan and Wife. But knowing he was gay or learning it after the fact didn't change a thing for me.

Danny Kaye too, I hear. I still watched White Christmas 3 or 4 times this winter.

That one is still out for review. While there were rumors nothing was ever substantiated. When he died he left a widow. Of course that doesn't mean anything but there were rumors.

I just finished watching Bobby Flay's new show 'Dinner Battle' or something like that. He goes around the country and eats at regular people's houses and determines who is the best home cook of that city.

Tonight there was a gay married couple. I am still out on gay marriage, I think mostly because I can see all kinds of required indoctrination of very young children in the schools. I think that gay sexual practices should be left until high school, if kids are going to be taught about them at all. If gay marriage is accepted, then I think they have the right to have gay sexual practices taught in school, just as heterosexual practice is taught. I won't like it, but I can see the argument coming down the pike.

Anyway, I'm looking at these guys and thinking, I just don't care anymore. It is hard enough to find love and support, if 2 gay people find it, then why not? If Jim Nabors finally gits hitched to someone he's loved for 38 yrs, well, jeez. The Muslims are destroying priceless historical manuscripts in Timbuktu, guess which one I care more about?

On the other hand, I had a great aunt who lived with her partner for 50+ years until her death. The family knew they were gay, but I think they were closeted in their work lives. They didn't bother anyone and no one bothered them. BUT, I also have to ask myself why people have to be closeted? Is it right for me to say they should just live their lives and be quiet about it? Especially when being 'out' may mean losing jobs, etc.?

I still am of two minds on this, but as I looked at these men tonight, I just don't care anymore. I think there's a difference between not caring and being an active advocate. I think.

I loved Rock Hudson and thought he was just a hunk. But yet he was gay. I loved him in McMillan and Wife. But knowing he was gay or learning it after the fact didn't change a thing for me.

Funny you should mention that show. I've never seen it before until I found it on Netflix streaming. I've been watching it because I have never ever seen it on cable TV. It must be one of the worst written shows on TV. I can't believe it lasted seven seasons. I am fascinated by it though because of the interaction between Susan Saint James and Rock Hudson. Rock is in one of my favorite films, Ice Station Zebra, and I like him in McMillan and Wife. I love Susan Saint James in the series. But the writing and stories are lame. I also notice there is a lot of kissing/hugging/bedroom talk between the two, almost like they are secretly giving a message to the public that Rock was not gay.

I loved the Andy Griffith show and most of the characters. The Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. show was also very funny. But I will say it again - I would have preferred he stayed in the closest.

Also, around here he's known for singing at the greatest spectacle (Indy 500) every year. You don't mess with that image.

Funny you should mention that show. I've never seen it before until I found it on Netflix streaming. I've been watching it because I have never ever seen it on cable TV. It must be one of the worst written shows on TV. I can't believe it lasted seven seasons. I am fascinated by it though because of the interaction between Susan Saint James and Rock Hudson. Rock is in one of my favorite films, Ice Station Zebra, and I like him in McMillan and Wife. I love Susan Saint James in the series. But the writing and stories are lame. I also notice there is a lot of kissing/hugging/bedroom talk between the two, almost like they are secretly giving a message to the public that Rock was not gay.

I loved the Andy Griffith show and most of the characters. The Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C. show was also very funny. But I will say it again - I would have preferred he stayed in the closest.

Also, around here he's known for singing at the greatest spectacle (Indy 500) every year. You don't mess with that image.

Different tastes I suppose. Because I thought Gomer Pyle was one of the stupidest shows ever aired. I didn't even know Rock Hudson was gay when I watched McMillam and Wife. It wasn't until they announced later that he had aids that I was even aware of it.

I also notice there is a lot of kissing/hugging/bedroom talk between the two, almost like they are secretly giving a message to the public that Rock was not gay.

He was an actor in a role. It's called acting.