I saw someone famous!

Bini

Vort, Andre The Giant? Now THAT'S cool!

Pittsburgh airport, either in mid-1988 or in the very early '90s. I recognized him from The Princess Bride. He was 100 or so feet away, but pretty much unmistakeable. The guy was huuuuuuuuuuge. Really a giant. Probably seven feet tall, maybe more, and I bet he weighed over 400 pounds. Just a very, very large human being.

President Kimball on an airplane over Nebraska was a more memorable meeting, even though he was significantly smaller.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Celebrities:

1. Peter Glen Vidmar - Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics, was awesome because I was taking gymnastics at the time. Shook hands with him.

2. John Stockton - His son was playing against my cousin in basketball

3. Eric Weddle - Chargers safety, played basketball against him, he lives in my brother's stake

4. Mike Ness - Social Distortion - dating one of my best friend's aunt

5. big bad voodoo daddy - was one of the swing dancers who performed with them for an event - met the whole band

- if you know swing you know who I am talking about - I was a part of the group that first brought him to Utah for a swing workshop, great guy

7. David Dalmo - Swing

8. Ryan Francois - Swing - he performed once on "So you think you can Dance" (if you know swing, yes David and Ryan are celebrities)

Church:

1. President Hinckley - San Diego Temple dedication (Elder Hinckley at this time)

2. Elder Ballard - He shook hands with me and our three children at the time (he visited the ward right before ours, he was a part of a baby blessing of his great-great-grandson)

3. Elder Scott - Mission

Franking Manning, gentlemen in overalls, ah man he could swing

Edited by Anddenex

We used to live in the ward the Wolfgrams lived in before they became famous. They were going down to Provo (Orem?) to do stuff with the Osmond studios at the time but I dont think many people knew them then. In fact my husband was the home teacher for their family.

Oh and Theodore Kazinkski. How could I forget him?

My husband has met Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Marilyn Monroe, Charles Bronson, Joey Lansing (used to date her), President Hinckley, Eva Marie Saint (just before she made On the WaterFront, Willie Brown, Harvey Milk, Elder Haight, (who I also met since he had a house and used to live in our town) saw Jim Jones at one of his meetings, Bob Dillon, Credence Clearwater Band, Joan Baez, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin, (the singers used to all jam across the street from a mortuary he worked in!) Linus Pauling. Jerry and Pat Brown, Ronald Reagan, Robert Kennedy, saw John Kennedy, Dan Blocker, Cameron Mitchell, More but his memory stinks.

Edited by annewandering

The only real impact Colorado Springs' Waldo Canyon fire had on my family, was we were stuck in about 5 minutes of traffic while the president's motorcade drove by.

A few years ago my whole ward was stuck on the lawn outside church after our block let out, because the advance team for the president's motorcade had already sealed the street and wouldn't let anyone out of the parking lot. (A few people had left already -- those who leave before the postlude music is done, but not many.) We all joked about the headlines: Obama forces Mormons to stay at church.

I forgot that Danny Ainge moved into my ward when he started with the Trail Blazers and just before I left on my mission, but I'm not a big sports fan so I never spoke to him.

I met Danny Ainge on my mission in San Jose.

Oh, met Thurl Bailey here in Salt Lake but I bet lots of people have :)

You're the second person to mention him(?) on this thread. I've never heard the name.

5. big bad voodoo daddy - was one of the swing dancers who performed with them for an event - met the whole band

COOL!

I wasn't technically inside a paid venue, but rather waiting in line. When I was 16, my aunt took me to see Kenneth Branaugh's "Hamlet" in LA. It was in limited release in LA, NY, and Ontario, and only in a limited number of theaters in each city. While waiting in line to get into the theater, we saw Winona Ryder.

I saw Usher once. I was at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, so he was performing on a float, but it wasn't technically paid. :)

I went to the same high school as Gwen Stefani, though she was several years ahead of me. I do have friends whose siblings knew her though. Also from that high school (more contemporary to me) was Eric Zamora, the sax player from Save Ferris. I met him once at school. He was the senior class VP when I was a freshman.

After my freshman year, I moved to a different state, and went to high school with a girl who later played in the WNBA.

I've met a number of apostles/prophets over the years...I don't remember them all. One that stands out in my mind, though, was Elder Packer. When my brother (who is now on his mission) was only 2 years old, we were visiting some friends in Provo. We drove up to Temple Square one day as a family. At some point during the day, we were in the lobby of a building (not sure which -- that part of the memory is vague), with a group of people all waiting outside some elevators, waiting for the Twelve to come downstairs after adjourning a meeting. The doors opened, and the Brethren stepped out, knowing there was a crowd there. People began to press forward, wanting to shake their hands and talk to them. My brother was sitting on my dad's shoulders, so he stood out above the crowd. Elder Packer saw him and bee-lined toward us. He reached his hand out to shake my brother's hand. My brother, all of two years old, didn't know what a handshake was, but put his hand up for a high five. Elder Packer quickly corrected, without missing a beat, and high-fived my brother.

I also met Elder Tingey when I was 11 or 12. He was the visiting authority at our stake conference, and my dad was in the stake presidency at the time, so we had a private luncheon for the stake presidency's families and Elder Tingey after conference. I baked him a chocolate chip cheesecake.

When one of our daughters was little, my husband had to take some information to the church office building. He took her with him in a stroller. As he was going up the elevator a man got on. It was Elder La Grande. He looked down at Amber, smiled and then very seriously told Ken that Amber was a very special child of God. Ken said he got chills. It meant/means a lot to us.

Oh my gosh. I forgot Clive Cussler. lol. We were in Blythe at Albersons. That is on the highway just as you go from California to Arizona. We were putting our groceries in the van when two men in this fantastic restored old 50's car, parked next to us and asked if there was a better gas station in town with more reasonable gas prices than the ones by the freeway. He was wearing a Hawaiin print shirt and tan baggy shorts and sandals. The other man, we later realized was his son. Later we also found out that Cussler liked to go out in the Arizona desert and prospect. Lol. I remember it was so hot and was astounded that one of my favorite authors was standing there asking us where a cheap gas station was.

Oh authors! I forgot about this one. I spent an evening once with Chris Heimerdinger. He was visiting for a fireside or something, and stayed with my bishop when I was youth. I went over the the bishop's house the night before (I was good friends with his son), and took all my Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites memorabilia for him to sign -- all the books up to that point, as well as the board game. I spent a couple of hours over there, playing the game with him, and then had him sign the gameboard.

Man..they just keep coming. I just finished a bag of Famous Amos cookies and remember he came with my neighbors to our house for a BBQ. How could I forget him?

My neighbor was in investment banker and was helping finance his company.

So..yeah I met Wally "Famous" Amos and I remember he was real nice.

..you can't get more Famous then Famous Amos..comon

I met a famous romance author once but didnt realize it at the time. I was selling used books and this nice looking lady and her husband walked up to our stand. She asked if I read romances and I told her no. that they were too boring. lol. She got an odd look but was very polite then walked on down the row. Dont remember who she was but feel bad now. Romance can be very nice reading which I learned later.

Oh, oh! I forgot! I met Pam! And Beefche and Dravin! (And a handful of others on here.)

:D

Those were at restaurants, though, so I suppose it counts as a paid venue. Bummer. :(

And of course you know we are the biggest celebrities mentioned. :lol:

David Ogden Stiers ~ he lives in the little town south of me. When I worked at the True Value Hardware store, I helped him. Also Jamie Farr.

David Ogden Stiers | Newport Symphony Orchestra

Went to see David at the Performing Arts Center in Newport Oregon when he and Patty Duke performed together doing Love Letters. All money went to the PAC to keep it running. Talked to both of them after the show.

Okay, my people are a bit cheesey. I got to serve dinner to the Jets......yes I am old.

Donny Osman came to my ward in San Diego, once.

I have met Dave Wakeling form English Beat, my ex husband played in a band with a guy that later played in Dave's band.....

My nephew's football coach was John Bytheway.

My husband has been in a few commercials and we have a friend that stared in a couple of those "Christian Movies."

I admit, they are cheesey meetings, but other than at concert or something like that, that's all I have.

The only one of those I have heard of is John Bytheway. I think it would be weird to ask someone to stare in a movie. I can only stare for like a minute before it starts to hurt my eyes.

I was in a meeting with Larry Miller once. He went on an unbelievable tirade, telling people that if they couldn't get the job done he would fire all of them and hire new guys for less money.

Did he?

This wasn't a meeting with the Jazz players, perchance, was it?

Emperor Hirohito of Japan

Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Laureate in Physics

John Seely Brown, former Director of XEROX PARC and famous researcher/commenter on technology, work, & society

Michael Powell, former Chair FCC

Bill Kennard, former Chair FCC

and other DC types that I can't recall at the moment.

L. Tom Perry

I worked for a famous think tank in DC as a technology policy wonk. I didn't just meet these people (other than Hirohito), but worked with them and spent several days in seminars and at meals with them. It was a wonderful experience, and for awhile, I had a heck of a network. : )

Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Laureate in Physics

I met Murray Gell-Mann when he came to the physics department at Penn State for a week. I was so incredibly excited to meet him! How deeply disappointing to find a fanatically egotistical, unbelievably rude blowhard who took delight in embarrassing professors in front of their grad students and seemed intent on letting everyone around him know that he was a very great deal smarter than they or anyone else in the room were. I suppose maybe he was just having a bad week. (But I don't think so.)