Standing Ministers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anddenex

Anddenex

• Registered Users
  • 2747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

In Doctrine & Covenants section 84 the scriptures mention the deacons and teachers are to be standing witnesses, what is a standing ministers?

Edited by Anddenex, 09 February 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#2 Just_A_Guy

Just_A_Guy

Semi-Senior Moderator, and Repentant Sea-Lawyer

• Senior Moderators
  • 8082 posts
  • LocationUtah County, Utah, USA

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Off the top of my head, I'd guess "standing" implies that their ministry is confined to one geographical location, as opposed to being a "traveling" minister (like the Apostles were originally supposed to be).
This is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.

--Roland Young ("Uncle Willie"), The Philadelphia Story

#3 Anddenex

Anddenex

• Registered Users
  • 2747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Off the top of my head, I'd guess "standing" implies that their ministry is confined to one geographical location, as opposed to being a "traveling" minister (like the Apostles were originally supposed to be).

Thank you. Your thought is in line with the previous verses, which is probably what this means; "standing" implying ministry to a confined geographical location.

When I read it this time, my thoughts were pondering the etymology of the phrase "Standing Ministers" and if this phrase had different meanings when this was spoken.

However, you are probably right, this makes more sense.

#4 beefche

beefche

The resident cow

• Senior Moderators
  • 8334 posts
  • LocationHoosier State!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

I think it means that the next time I teach youth Sunday School with the rowdy boys, I'm going to tell the the deacons and teachers to put their chairs away and be standing ministers.
I say that we need to teach our people to find their answers in the scriptures...But the unfortunate thing is that so many of us are not reading the scriptures. We do not know what is in them, and therefore we speculate about things that we ought to have found in the scriptures themselves. I think that therein is one of our biggest dangers of today."
--President Harold B. Lee, December, 1972

#5 Anddenex

Anddenex

• Registered Users
  • 2747 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I think it means that the next time I teach youth Sunday School with the rowdy boys, I'm going to tell the the deacons and teachers to put their chairs away and be standing ministers.

:lol:

#6 Doctrine

Doctrine

• Validating
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

i belive high priest can travel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq