• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Pope Benedict XVI to step down | News | DW.DE | 11.02.2013

The Pope has given his resignation. My condolences to our Catholic friends. I imagine this as a potentially confusing and hurtful thing.

#2 lizrenowden

lizrenowden

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:16 AM

Have just seen this in another paper - to say I was shocked is an understatement. Apparently the last Pope to resign was Gregory XII in 1415.
1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you

#3 Jenamarie

Jenamarie

I am glad for many things.

• Members
  • 2244 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:15 AM

Wow. To be honest, I didn't even realize they could do that!
And I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.
Isaiah 42:16

#4 NeuroTypical

NeuroTypical

Senior Moderator

• Senior Moderators
  • 7419 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

I wish my Catholic friends and neighbors well, as they move through the transition.
If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack, to sit in the synagogue and pray.
And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.
That would be the sweetest thing of all.

Ohhh....
If I were a rich man...

#5 Blackmarch

Blackmarch

• Members
  • 3506 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

I'd like to echo the sentiments shared so far. I also wish our friends well, and pray that the next pope will be a worthy and capable defender of their faith, and will be able to promote christian values to the world.

Deus Vult

Toji: Indomitable does not mean someone who has never been broken. Indomitable means someone who gets back up, after they have been broken.

Marcus: I'm terrified of a fair univers; to think that everything we suffer is what we truly deserve. I take great solace and comfort in the universe being unfair.

If I lived on 55 Cancri E, i'd be well past my 15000 year old mark.

On kepler 78b I'd be long past my 31,000th year of living.

#6 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51699 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm not sure why this would be considered to be a hurtful thing. I'm sure he made his decision with much prayer. According to another article it states:

Although most popes remain in office until their death, the regulations that govern the Catholic Church allow for a pope to step down from his duties. He need not ask permission: It is his decision entirely.

To me it is done with much courage and much humility in deciding that they are no longer able to perform all the numerous duties of their office.

#7 MarginOfError

MarginOfError

Lord of the Gummi Snacks

• Members
  • 5930 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

I wish I could go to the Vatican to watch the cardinals blow smoke up the chimney*. :) * I mean that seriously. It looks like a really fun event.

Dude. When both Vort and MOE are in agreement, the thinking has been done. :D

Uncommon Dissent

#8 Soulsearcher

Soulsearcher

• Members
  • 2009 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I remember when this pope was elected. I have a fwe conversations and the general conclusion was this pope wouldn't hold the office for long, either he'd pass away of step down. Following in the shoes of John paul the second left quite a legacy to follow and some thought he was just a place holder til someone better (not that he's not a great man) came along.
The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

#9 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm not sure why this would be considered to be a hurtful thing. I'm sure he made his decision with much prayer.

Simply because the article I read didn't explain "stepping down" as a possibility, only that he is the first Pope to have done so since 1415. Our Prophets don't "step down" even when they are in poor health. I think if Pres. Monson said one day he is going to abdicate his position, it would rock a lot of people's world. So my intent was to be sympathetic that perhaps this would be a difficult thing for our Catholic friends. If it is no big deal, then it's no big deal.

#10 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2477 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake Valley

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think it would be a good thing for us to give our prophets the same option.
"All it takes is for us to get a little bit self-important and narrow-minded. Toss in a little fussiness, a bit of dogma, and a bunch of pride and you've got yourself a bunch of people who wouldn't recognize the truth if it sat on them."
-- Robert Kirby

#11 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

It's not ours to give.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12
Nice hand, friend, but those are not the cards I dealt you.

Impenetrability! That's what I say!

#12 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

It's not ours to give.

Why ever not?
"All it takes is for us to get a little bit self-important and narrow-minded. Toss in a little fussiness, a bit of dogma, and a bunch of pride and you've got yourself a bunch of people who wouldn't recognize the truth if it sat on them."
-- Robert Kirby

#13 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Why ever not?

President Monson does not serve in his office because I want him to. I have no authority to give him permission either to serve or to retire. Neither do you.
As if anyone could knowingly commit sin without being changed both in spirit, body, and mind. Let me say this again, sin changes who we are! --james12

#14 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

President Monson does not serve in his office because I want him to. I have no authority to give him permission either to serve or to retire. Neither do you.

I wasn't limiting the comment to you and I, Vort. Try to be reasonable.
-- Robert Kirby

#15 MarginOfError

MarginOfError

Lord of the Gummi Snacks

• Members
  • 5930 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Agreed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it started to happen soon. It wasn't all that long ago that we started putting seventies onto emeritus status. The major impetus behind doing so was that we needed younger, more physically able men to help the Twelve in their responsibilities. I don't know if we'll ever hit the point of requiring Apostles and prophets to go onto emeritus status (how would succession work if it were mandatory?) but I can see us allowing them to step out if their health and physical abilities make the calling overly burdensome on them.

Dude. When both Vort and MOE are in agreement, the thinking has been done. :D

Uncommon Dissent

#16 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I wasn't limiting the comment to you and I, Vort. Try to be reasonable.

I'm being perfectly reasonable. Whom did you mean by "us" when you said, "I think it would be a good thing for us to give our prophets the same option"?

#17 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

by "us", I meant the LDS church as a whole. Including prophets and apostles.
-- Robert Kirby

#18 Vort

Vort

• Members
  • 10101 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

by "us", I meant the LDS church as a whole. Including prophets and apostles.

And who makes decisions for "us"? Not us. Such a thing is not ours to give.

If the prophet wished to step down from his position, he could do so. The fact that none has ever done so doesn't mean they can't, just that they don't. I'm guessing there is an important reason for that.

#19 HiJolly

HiJolly

• Members
  • 2477 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's called policy, Vort.
-- Robert Kirby

#20 mnn727

mnn727

• Inactive 1+ months.
  • 2234 posts
  • LocationNorth of Dallas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Had Benedict been following the Word of Wisdom all his life.............. he may be in better health.
http://pawfiction.proboards.com
Worship without sacrifice is just words

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq