The Pope has given his resignation

Guest LiterateParakeet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doctrine

the last policy change to the 12 that I know of was that the next prophet had to be the longest served apostle, then it was changed to the longest apostle that served in the quoram of the 12.

if the change was not made then john willard young not joseph fielding smith would have been the next prophet.

Apparently there is also some end time believes involved in who the next Pope might be... Of course it is unofficial but when has that ever stopped end-timers?

Prophecy: Is the next pope the last pope? - MarketWatch First Take - MarketWatch

Yeah I remember reading about those yesterday, a lot of people were freaking out about them. The prophecies of St Malachy have been denounced by the Catholic Church as a fraud, but that doesn't stop some people. They were "discovered" in 1590, 400 years after St Malachy lived. Most people agree they were written to try and sway a papal election happening at that time. Funny thing about them is they are really detailed up until 1590 and then they get really vague and you kind of have to stretch to fit the popes into them. For instance this last pope was supposed to be the "Glory of the Olives", apparently Benedict XVI fits this because he choose the name Benedict and the Benedictine order has an olive branch in it's crest.

I do see some potential for future amusement though, one of the Cardinals that people think have a good chance of being elected is Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana, the last pope according to this prophecy is called Peter the Roman. I've already seen people saying that if Peter Turkson is elected it will prove these prophecies are true, some people are never happy unless they have the promise of impending doom on the horizon.

Pope Benedict XVI to step down | News | DW.DE | 11.02.2013

The Pope has given his resignation. My condolences to our Catholic friends. I imagine this as a potentially confusing and hurtful thing.

I'm not sure I'd see it as hurtful. People have physical limitations. Maybe he knows he has Alzheimers or something. Better to leave now than to hold on and be infirm and useless (as a church leader).

Surprising, yes. I'm sure most Catholics (and former Catholics) cannot imagine a pope stepping down.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I'm not sure I'd see it as hurtful. People have physical limitations. Maybe he knows he has Alzheimers or something. Better to leave now than to hold on and be infirm and useless (as a church leader).

My concern and confusion is that a Pope has not stepped down for 600 years. Surely that is going to raise an eyebrow somewhere.

Perhaps it is a non-issue, Alzheimers or something, but my intention was just to be compassionate. If Pres. Monson "stepped down", I think it would rock people's world since we have never had a prophet do that before.

My concern and confusion is that a Pope has not stepped down for 600 years. Surely that is going to raise an eyebrow somewhere.

I guess I take the broad view. Better he step down than be unable to perform his duties. Also, there will be a new pope; the church will not be left without a leader. So, no need to worry, life goes on.