Using Internet picture for church use?

tubaloth

I get to do the Ward Directory again this year. Last year for the cover picture I just use the picture of Moroni I had (and I use for my profile picture on here). I'm doing a little different ward directory this year, but I wouldn't mind finding some picture for the cover.

Obviously I'm not trying to make money on anything. Its for the 120 or so we plan to print up. I was thinking of one of the pictures by Simon Dewey.

I have read a little about the Fair Use Copyright terms. It seems like it should be fine.

Thoughts?

I get to do the Ward Directory again this year. Last year for the cover picture I just use the picture of Moroni I had (and I use for my profile picture on here). I'm doing a little different ward directory this year, but I wouldn't mind finding some picture for the cover.

Obviously I'm not trying to make money on anything. Its for the 120 or so we plan to print up. I was thinking of one of the pictures by Simon Dewey.

I have read a little about the Fair Use Copyright terms. It seems like it should be fine.

Thoughts?

The years that I did our printed ward photo directory, I used photos of things in our area, not-church-related. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, so one year, I packed up my tripod and camera, and took pictures of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The architecture is striking, especially in black and white. I ended up not using any of the photos I took that day, but instead used one I took of another nearby landmark at a state park.

In my opinion, I'd be getting permission from Simon Dewey. Even the picture that lds.net uses on their banner for the forums, we got permission from Mark Mabry to use it.

In my opinion, I'd be getting permission from Simon Dewey. Even the picture that lds.net uses on their banner for the forums, we got permission from Mark Mabry to use it.

I googled his name and can't find that he actually has his own website. I would be more then happy to send him an e-mail. Not sure how to get a hold of him?

• 2 months later...

I do our ward bulletin each week and use artwork from Simon Dewey, Jeff Ward, Jay Bryant Ward, and Howard Lyon. I emailed them all for permission, and all approved as long as I properly acknowledge their work using the guidelines they gave me. (Note: I didn't have Simon Dewey's email, so I emailed AltusFineArt who said Simon Dewey had given permission, and they gave me the verbiage to use; the other three were directly emailed). I put it at the bottom of the page that has the picture on it. Here are the guidelines I received:

Simon Dewey: “copyright Simon Dewey/courtesy Altus Fine Art/www.altusfineart.com”

Howard Lyon: “Used with permission, Howard Lyon Fine Art, www.fineart.howardlyon.com"

Jeff Ward: "Title of Artwork" by JeffWard

Jay B. Ward: "Title of Artwork" © 2013, Jay Bryant Ward, printed with permission