Using Internet picture for church use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I get to do the Ward Directory again this year. Last year for the cover picture I just use the picture of Moroni I had (and I use for my profile picture on here). I'm doing a little different ward directory this year, but I wouldn't mind finding some picture for the cover. Obviously I'm not trying to make money on anything. Its for the 120 or so we plan to print up. I was thinking of one of the pictures by Simon Dewey. I have read a little about the Fair Use Copyright terms. It seems like it should be fine. Thoughts?

#2 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10313 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I get to do the Ward Directory again this year. Last year for the cover picture I just use the picture of Moroni I had (and I use for my profile picture on here). I'm doing a little different ward directory this year, but I wouldn't mind finding some picture for the cover.

Obviously I'm not trying to make money on anything. Its for the 120 or so we plan to print up. I was thinking of one of the pictures by Simon Dewey.

I have read a little about the Fair Use Copyright terms. It seems like it should be fine.

Thoughts?

The years that I did our printed ward photo directory, I used photos of things in our area, not-church-related. I live in a suburb of Cleveland, so one year, I packed up my tripod and camera, and took pictures of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The architecture is striking, especially in black and white. I ended up not using any of the photos I took that day, but instead used one I took of another nearby landmark at a state park.
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#3 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 51698 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

In my opinion, I'd be getting permission from Simon Dewey. Even the picture that lds.net uses on their banner for the forums, we got permission from Mark Mabry to use it.

#4 bytebear

bytebear

• Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Check wikicommons. There are a lot of great free use pictures there.

File:Angel Moroni SLCTemple.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Category:Jesus Christ - Wikimedia Commons

There are lots of pictures from artists of old for example:

Posted Image

Edited by bytebear, 15 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#5 tubaloth

tubaloth

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

In my opinion, I'd be getting permission from Simon Dewey. Even the picture that lds.net uses on their banner for the forums, we got permission from Mark Mabry to use it.

I googled his name and can't find that he actually has his own website. I would be more then happy to send him an e-mail. Not sure how to get a hold of him?

#6 stocktonow

stocktonow

• Inactive 1+ year
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

I do our ward bulletin each week and use artwork from Simon Dewey, Jeff Ward, Jay Bryant Ward, and Howard Lyon. I emailed them all for permission, and all approved as long as I properly acknowledge their work using the guidelines they gave me. (Note: I didn't have Simon Dewey's email, so I emailed AltusFineArt who said Simon Dewey had given permission, and they gave me the verbiage to use; the other three were directly emailed). I put it at the bottom of the page that has the picture on it. Here are the guidelines I received: Simon Dewey: “copyright Simon Dewey/courtesy Altus Fine Art/www.altusfineart.com” Howard Lyon: “Used with permission, Howard Lyon Fine Art, www.fineart.howardlyon.com" Jeff Ward: "Title of Artwork" by JeffWard Jay B. Ward: "Title of Artwork" © 2013, Jay Bryant Ward, printed with permission

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq