Favorite General conference Speaker?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 LiterateParakeet

LiterateParakeet

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Who is your favorite general conference speaker (past or present)? and why?

I know, I know, it's hard to narrow it down to one, feel free to give more than one, but be sure and tell me WHY. I am asking for a specific personal reason--I am looking for leaders that speak in a gentle and "validating of pain" sort of way. Elder Holland has become a new favorite for mine for this reason.

Thanks!

#2 pam

pam

Keep your hands off my gumdrops.

• Administrators
  • 49950 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Mine was Joseph B. Wirthlin. He gave so many talks over the years and many of them about adversity and how attitude can help you rise above them. I seemed to be able to relate to many of his words and still like using him for quotes on attitude and strength and adversity.

"Come what may and love it."

#3 Dravin

Dravin

Gneiss Guy

• Members
  • 12976 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Elder Holland has become a new favorite for mine for this reason.

Heh, I like Elder Holland because of his straight forward boldness concerning the doctrines of the Kingdom.

For example:
Print: My Words... Never CeaseĀ - general-conference
Video: My Words... Never Cease- general-conference

Also Elder Oaks for the same.

For example:
Print: Love and Law - general-conference
Video: Love and Law - general-conference

This is not to say other apostles, or President Monson, beat around the bush or shy away from declaring the doctrines, but there is a candor in the way they speak that I appreciate. I also like listening to Elder Uchtdorf but that is mainly for the aviation related analogies, anecdotes and his accent.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

#4 Doctrine

Doctrine

• Validating
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Bruce R. Mcconkie I know, I know, but he is my fav, I never heard him in person because He passed before I joined the church, but I have many of his books and I like to read and listen to his talk on the internet. also the way he talks you can not forget the way he talks, I............Belive..............In...........Christ. slow, but every word is spoken precisely.

#5 Gentlesoul

Gentlesoul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

I love President Uchtdorf's talks. He makes me think and emphasizes points that I need to chew on. He gives very practical talks like finding happiness, the things that matter most, regrets and resolutions, etc.
I look forward to what he has to say.

Gentlesoul

#6 annewandering

annewandering

• Members
  • 4294 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Elder Scott. He loves his wife so much and speaks often about her. He always has such a kind gentle loving voice and words. I could listen to him for hours. He calms my soul and brings me peace.
I feel like we have an unusual number of extremely spiritual leaders in the church right now. No way am I knocking the past ones but these are extraordinary. General Conference has become an spiritual feast like never before and I loved it before.

Edited by annewandering, 23 February 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#7 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49950 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I also love Elder L. Tom Perry. Not always because of his words but because every time I see him he reminds me of this huggable grandfather type that you just want to get a big hug from.

#8 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Elder Uchtdorf is becoming more and more of a favorite to me each time I hear him open his mouth. I've always loved Elder Holland. Elder Bednar and Elder Eyring are often moving and powerful in a standout way to me as well.

Edited by Wingnut, 23 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#9 classylady

classylady

• Members
  • 1418 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I have a lot of favorites. When I was younger I loved Elders LeGrand Richards and Paul H. Dunn.

#10 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49950 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Elder Uchtdorf is becoming more and more of a favorite to me each time I hear him open my mouth.

He opens your mouth?

#11 Wingnut

Wingnut

A little nutty, with wings

• Members
  • 10211 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

He opens your mouth?

I don't know what you're talking about.

:huh:
Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed. -- C.S. Lewis

If we're going to be stupid about this, we're going to be stupid on my terms. -- my husband

#12 Wordnerd

Wordnerd

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Elder Holland, for his "Safety for the Soul" talk in 2009. In 2010 I joined the church, because that talk helped me develop my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I'm partial to President Uchtdorf, President Monson, and Elder Bednar as well. I agree that we are blessed with a lot of very spiritual leaders.

#13 Tough Grits

Tough Grits

• Members
  • 1425 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

Elder Uchtdorf is becoming more and more of a favorite to me each time I hear him open his mouth. I've always loved Elder Holland. Elder Bednar and Elder Eyring are often moving and powerful in a standout way to me as well.

Me too! President Uctdorf, Elder Holland, and Elder Bednar are three stand-out speakers for me! ^_^

I was absolutely riveted and profoundly moved by the October 2012 General Conference.

The biggest stand-out for me was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk, The First Great Commandment. I almost forgot to breathe as I listened to him give that talk. No doubt about it, for me, the October 2012 General Conference was amazing.

Edited by Tough Grits, 23 February 2013 - 09:28 PM.
Made a mistake... :o)

~Sister Tough Grits

Life in the Church soon teaches us that the Lord does not ask us about our ability, but only our availability. And then, if we demonstrate our dependability, the Lord will increase our capability. ~Neal A. Maxwell

Blessed are those that can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. :lol:

LDS.org

#14 Wordnerd

Wordnerd

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

The biggest stand-out for me was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk, The First Great Commandment. I almost forgot to breathe as I listened to him give that talk. No doubt about it, for me, the October 2012 General Conference was amazing.

That was such a fabulous talk! We have a PVR so we rewound it and watched it again right away.
Now I'm really starting to look forward to April. :)

#15 Tough Grits

Tough Grits

• Members
  • 1425 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

That was such a fabulous talk! We have a PVR so we rewound it and watched it again right away.
Now I'm really starting to look forward to April. :)

I did the same thing! :lol:

My kids kept groaning, but my husband knew better than to say anything. ;)

I was writing stuff down in my spiritual journal, and I wanted to get the words exactly right, so I kept rewinding the DVR...over and over and over, until I got the whole quote that I wanted to get. Waiting an entire month until the magazine came out was not an option!!!!

See, technology (and watching conference at home) can be a good thing!
~Sister Tough Grits

Life in the Church soon teaches us that the Lord does not ask us about our ability, but only our availability. And then, if we demonstrate our dependability, the Lord will increase our capability. ~Neal A. Maxwell

Blessed are those that can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. :lol:

LDS.org

#16 applepansy

applepansy

• Members
  • 5700 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I love them all. But I always looks forward to what the Prophet has to say, and then Pres. Packer.

#17 pam

pam

• Administrators
  • 49950 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I did the same thing! :lol:

My kids kept groaning, but my husband knew better than to say anything. ;)

I was writing stuff down in my spiritual journal, and I wanted to get the words exactly right, so I kept rewinding the DVR...over and over and over, until I got the whole quote that I wanted to get. Waiting an entire month until the magazine came out was not an option!!!!

See, technology (and watching conference at home) can be a good thing!

It's also available on lds.org within 24-48 hours.

#18 DHK

DHK

5,000+ posts and hasn't been banned yet...

• Senior Moderators
  • 5406 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Somehow, it seemed appropriate to add this link to the thread:
http://www.lds.net/f...ses-pb-cup.html

:)

BTW, I've always liked L. Tom Perry. He just talks like the grandfather I never had. Also President Uchtdorf. They both talk about the gospel, but don't make you feel bad if you've strayed. It's a welcoming tone towards the gospel of repentance that I like and find reassuring. I know others do too, but they stand out in my mind.

Of course, there's always J. Golden Kimball!

J. Golden Kimball - On Experiences With Members - YouTube

Edited by skippy740, 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM.

Formerly known as 'Skippy740'.

"But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions (see 1 Kings 18:21).  President Marion G. Romney said, many years ago, that he had "never hesitated to follow the counsel of the Authorities of the Church even though it crossed my social, professional, or political life" (CR, April 1941, p. 123). This is a hard doctrine, but it is a particularly vital doctrine in a society which is becoming more wicked. In short, brothers and sisters, not being ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ includes not being ashamed of the prophets of Jesus Christ." - Neal A. Maxwell, October 10th, 1978.

http://speeches.byu....viewitem&id=909

#19 annewandering

annewandering

• Members
  • 4294 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

There is no way to forget the prophet as first favorite but dont really classify him with the rest. Same with his councilors. Ever time they speak it makes a huge impression.

#20 brycematheson

brycematheson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

It's really difficult to narrow it down to one, so I'm going to have to bring it down to just two. By far, my favorite is Elder Holland. I love his BYU Devotionals. Especially this talk by him. I don't know why, but he speaks in such a way that just about everyone can relate and understand. But at the same time, he's very blunt and to the point. He doesn't mix words and he tells you what's wrong and what you need to be doing.

Either him, or President Uchtdorf. I can't get enough of those airplane analogies.
http://www.laytreasuresinheaven.com <-- A Mormon blog.
http://www.mormonblogging.com/ <-- LDS and Mormon Blog Directory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq