Pictures of Christ

Karmelapplez

Are there certain pictures of Christ that have been sanctioned by the Church? I never wondered before - but recently I purchased a picture off Amazon and when it arrived I couldn't look at it without feeling creeped out. Then I started to notice that all church buildings have basically the same few pictures.

I've resolved to buy only pictures from stores like Deseret Book, but I was just wondering if there was some kind of church rule or advisement.

I believe there are as far as what goes in church buildings. But you can have whatever you want in your house, of course. :) I have seen religious pictures that don't give me a good feeling. I wonder though if it's what we're used to vs. what we're not, in style.

I also stick with Deseret Book or the Distribution Center.

Edited by Eowyn

And the Facilities Management group. In fact, I think they have more say than the bishop.

"Bishop, we really don't care that you think your cousin's oil-on-black-velvet crossover between The Last Supper and Dogs Playing Poker looks good in the entryway. It's just wrong." :P

I don't like the more recent depictions of Jesus that seem popular in LDS culture right now. The jovial Jesus as I call it. It just seems too casual for the savor of the world. I know it's supposed to be personal but it just seem too irreverent to me especially when I grew up with the more stoic version. It's like seeing a bad remake of a classic movie.

I do love the art of the middle ages. If you are in LA, go to the Getty Center. They have an amazing collection of medieval art from churches, as well as many of the Illuminated Manuscripts. What's amazing is that you realize that for the illiterate of the day, these were their scriptures, telling the Bible stories in art.